2019 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2019.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It does look cool. But the Dick is good.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dick was good for being one of the first SSS but it is severely lacking compared to stadiums since 2010.

22SteveD repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not sure I care what NYCFC does. Trying to think of the stadiums opened, went to Wikipedia, according to them, MLS has 10 stadiums that opened this decade.

They might be counting teams that started MLS play in existing stadiums this decade, like Cincinnati and Vancouver. I still like Dicks, the location is not great but the stadium is nice enough and simple. When it rains I wish it had better cover though.

6. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the tears of the soccer gods crying at the level of play. It's not meant to be avoided.

SccrDon and rapidogordo repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh, so when I seek those seats under cover I'm not washing myself of the sins my eyes are seeing? Maybe the stadium needs a baptismal bath.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  8. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to host a Mexico National Team game? Oh you said baptismal...

AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 COMtnGuy, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    22SteveD repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed emotions about this. I'm thrilled that the league is thriving to the point where there are more cities that want teams and more prospective owners willing to put up significant cash to get in. But it's too much to keep track of. I know next to nothing about many of the teams - who plays for Montreal or Vancouver or Chicago?

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Contrast those thought about (healthy) expansion with the not all that distant in the past news that MLS was "Contracting From 12 Teams to 10".

Totoro, kucsdat, fortcollins and 3 others repped this.
  13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The early days were something. In contrast to stuff like the AAF or XFL (1st version at least), it shows how much of a long view one needs for something like a sports league. I wonder what Anschutz's and the Hunts' ROI ended up being? Was there something beyond just what they got when they eventually sold the teams they "owned"?

Plus: single entity. I was surprised more sports leagues (like the women's pro leagues) haven't tried that. I think one of the arena football leagues uses it.

14. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak, COMtnGuy, nowar99 and 6 others repped this.
  15. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Switchbacks or FC Denver?

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While in London last week I took in two games. QPR - Blackburn in the Championship and Wealdstone FC - Dulwich Hamlet in the National League South (Level 6 of the pyramid). It occurred to me that Wealdstone is a natural team for Colorado natives to follow. Their nickname is The Stones, which would presumably make fans of the team Stoners.... :D

Sports Yak, Rod1916 and Totoro repped this.
  17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I like that a lot.

18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was the Stones match like as a neutral viewer? Was it decent football? Was it fun to watch? What was the stadium like?

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It reminded me of high-school football (outside of places like Texas where its as big as college). The level of play was what you'd expect from semi-pros making a couple of hundred pounds a week to practice a couple of times a week and show up for games. The stadium was small with a mix of a couple of 5-6 row seating areas and a number of terraces. Parts of the stadium (the club shop/snack bar and the PA announcer on top of it) were clearly made from converted shipping containers but the clubhouse, dressing rooms, etc. were full , older, buildings. They list the capacity of Grovesnor Vale as 3600 with about 700 seated. Its at the end of a cul-de-sac in a suburb of London (Ruislip) and you wouldn't notice its there if you weren't down at the end of that street.

Their opponents were from another part of London (Brixton/Peckham) so they brought a decent amount of away support up on the tube. Because the whole ground is general admission there's apparently an understanding between home and away support (and I'm guessing this is common int he lower leagues) that supporters take the terraces behind the goal their team is attacking and then the supporters switch sides at half just like the teams do. I stayed in the area behind one goal the whole game (after walking around the ground in pre-game) so int he first half I had Wealdstone supporters near me and in the second half it was Dulwich Hamlet supporters. Dulwich won 3-1 (with Wealdstone getting their goal late) so they were in quite the voice during most of the second half.

SccrDon, AlbertCamus and Stuart95 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some great pictures and stadium writeup here:
    http://groundhoppingwithryan.blogspot.com/2017/07/wealdstone-fc-grosvenor-vale.html

[​IMG]

I watched the first half from right about where the guy with his back to the camera is standing, with all the Wealdstone FC supporters on the terrace in the foreground. At half as people moved around and a space on the fence opened up I moved up to lean on it. The pictures don't show it but the goal is literally right off to the right of the photo with the net at the back touching the fence. Dulwich Hamlet had a PK in the second half and I was closer to the ball on the spot than some of the players lined up on the edge of the box I think.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also I was at the Stones match at 4:20 on 4/20, but nobody there seemed to care. :D

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff, @JasonMa !! Thanks

JasonMa repped this.
  23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, jrowe13, MrPerfectNot and 2 others repped this.
  25. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.