2019 MLS Week 5 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Mar 27, 2019.

1. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Nothing on Zlatan's hands to face incident? It wasn't a bone melting ear flick, but it certainly looked like the intent was to slap the defender in the head, no other reason for his hands to be there. It was called a foul so Unkel saw it and deemed it a foul, but didn't show a YC or RC, so my only guess is Unkel was unaware of the hands to head = red rule?

2. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Do you really think that a FIFA referee is unaware of a rule?

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striking the head/neck of an opponent is a compulsory red card for violent conduct if and only if it is deliberate, using greater than negligible force, and done while not challenging for the ball. Basically, what the Law is saying is that the threshold for excessive force is any force at all, but only in this particular scenario. Otherwise, it's in the opinion of the referee. I don't think it's unreasonable or unexpected to say that Ibrahimovic was trying to get to the ball when he committed the foul. Yellow was the worst he's ever going to see there, although I'm not sure if a foul was even called. I know there was no card since he was booked for that sneaky trip on Chara later.

Similarly, I think Darren Mattocks popped someone in the face while taking the ball this weekend. It wasn't a red card foul, and I would sincerely doubt he'll be suspended for it like a certain journalist was hypothesizing.

4. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    #29 FootyPDX, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    yeah he was trying to get the ball while grabbing a defender by the head and pushing him to the ground. Saying he was going for the ball when he fouled a guy by using his hands on the head is like the "but I got ball" argument when plowing through a player. It surely doesn't look "incidental" or a natural position to me, the foul was called but no card shown. He had at least two other YC worthy fouls before kicking out at Chara to receive his first yellow.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I tried to find video but for some strange reason MLS didn't include that play in the highlights, nor did they talk about it at all on Instant Replay. Weird /s

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, because there's a huge conspiracy by MLS on Instant Replay to protect referees and to never ever suggest a star player should have been sent off. Really weird.

I mean, could that still photo be a yellow card? Sure. But it could also be almost nothing (and unless he's deliberate swung down on him or pulled his hair, it almost certainly isn't a straight red). Having not seen the match or incidents referred to, I can't really offer a solid opinion. But I would note it seems like you already have a very strong one and don't appear to want to entertain an opposing viewpoint.

sitruc repped this.
  6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Was the Van/Sea PK was clearly erroneous, or was that just re-refereeing?

I'm also not so convinced that the Orl/DC was "not a foul," though I agree it was not clearly erroneous not to call a foul and should not hve been sent down for an OFR. (And I fully confess I may be biased on this as a former GK who refs at a very different level.)

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awarding that as a penalty is clearly wrong at the professional level. There's not a foul there.