2019 MLS Week 1 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ptref, Feb 26, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I remember Villarreal having to run a line in a Rapids game a few years ago when AR2 was injured. He had to wear the AR’s cleats. He was talking with two players, and he distinctly made a “4” gesture with his hand. I’m guessing he was telling the players that he hadn’t run a line in four years!

2. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that just as well! I believe it was Rottersman who had to come off.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Week in Review is out. https://www.proassistantreferees.com/mls-week-in-review/week-1-march-3-4 PRO is keeping with the idea that handling cannot reset OS:

Second, a player is not allowed to deliberately play the ball with his hands/arms so it cannot be considered for a deliberate play when dealing with offside.​

(I still think this wrong, both in terms of good policy and as IFAB wold not have had to include the exclusion in the definition of "save" if IFAB thought that handling could never reset OS. But I guess I'll live with what PRO is teaching.)

JasonMa repped this.
  4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid IFAB have addressed this and not do what they did.

5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if only IFAB had access to the interwebs and an electronic mailing address...

Me:

Mr. Elleray,

If you have time I was wondering if you could please provide guidance as to whether or not deliberate handling can also be considering a deliberate play per Law 11 and 'reset' offside.

https://www.proassistantreferees.com/mls-week-in-review/week-1-march-3-4

From that link, if you scroll down almost all the way to "AR Call of the Week #1" for an example with video as well a PRO's interpretation that handling by a defender cannot reset offside.

White takes a shot. Purple defender slides and handles the ball, which then goes to an offside white attacker who heads the ball in to the goal. The referee initially awards a goal, realizes the AR has a flag up for offside, and disallows the goal. They did end up using VAR to confirm details, giving the defender a red card for DOGSO-H and restarting with a PK.

Is it not possible to consider the handling a deliberate play which negates the offside, apply advantage on the handling, and award a goal? Or is PRO's position that handling cannot reset offside correct?

Reply:

Just to let you know that we are discussing this at the moment – there is a difference of opinion amongst the experts.

I will let you know when/if it is resolved.

Best wishes

David Elleray

Technical Director

The IFAB

jarbitro and RedStar91 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purple? Burgundy.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m well aware of the email. I’m also well aware that Mr. Elleray has made some less than thought out decisions to the questions he is asked in the past.

For example, stating that if a player passes the ball back to their own keeper and then the keeper picks the ball up with their forearms and not hands, then an offence has not occurred, because the current law said “hands”.

8. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    The call would not be changed based upon any new law changes, correct? I am only questioning due to the change of the supporting arm in a slide being considered natural. His arm doesn’t seem very supporting and is definitely extended from his body.