2019 MLS Schedule

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Nov 19, 2018.

1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this horse has been beaten to death, but this year's scheduling is the worst. Our reward for the biggest win in our franchise history is that we could technically be 8 points out of 1st place by the time we play our next game. Ridiculous.

2. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the other problem with Yankee Stadium that does not get nearly enough discussion.

cwelch999, Union42 and celt1997 repped this.
  3. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think there should be a league rule that teams who play their home games on a field that doesn't meet FIFA's minimum dimensional requirements should only get two points for home wins instead of three (visiting teams would still get three points). That would force NYC to get their act together.

It looks like the Yankees will make the playoffs this year, so hopefully NYCFC will be forced to play their 'home' playoff games elsewhere.

4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Yankees make it to the ALCS, Game 6 is on 10/18 or 10/19 and Game 7 is on 10/20. The two possible dates for NYCFC to host the first round playoff game are 10/19 and 10/20 unless MLS permitted NYCFC to play on 10/21 when there would not be a baseball game.

The second round of the MLS playoffs is 10/23 and 10/24. Game 2 of the World Series is 10/23. If the Yankees are in, they currently would have a home game based on record. The next home games would not be until 10/29 and 10/30 (Games 6 and 7 of the World Series) which would interfere with the MLS Eastern Conference Final dates.

I still think that MLS would permit NYCFC to play a home games on 10/21, 10/24 (or 10/25) and 11/1 as an accommodation. But, on the other hand, it's difficult for MLS to promote the games if the dates are TBD.

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. MisterB1968

MisterB1968 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    New Castle, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly sure they need more than 18 hours to turn a baseball field into the soccer field (and vice versa), I want to say they normally take like 3 days or something. I am sure they can do it faster than that when needed but not sure they can play a soccer game the next day.

6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2014...ns-yankee-stadiums-baseball-soccer-conversion

According to this 2014 article, it takes the groundscrew at Yankee Stadium 3 days to convert from soccer to baseball (and vice versa). The article also says they would be removing the pitchers mound for soccer, which they dont do (except for international friendlies). Even then, the sod they lay over the infield always seems to come up when a player tries to make quick cut on it.

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that the NYCFC front office would do everything in its power not to have to play at Red Bull Arena or in East Hartford or at the team with the lower seed. That said, I'm rooting for the Yankees! (Never thought I'd say.)

Union42 and cwelch999 repped this.