2019 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Darkwing McQuack, Nov 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting. Seattle wore their “light”, and so did Cincinnati. Apparently Cincinnati’s “dark” doesn’t provide enough contrast to Seattle’s “light.”
    So, if the league mandates this new requirement, I find it ironic that they still have to “step in” in this instance. So what’s the point? Why not just let competition decide that, say, red vs black is fine? (Red vs royal blue, and royal blue vs black would also be good contrast and make watching more colorful.)
    And, if you will pardon my ignorance/laziness, can someone direct me to where this “new rule” thing is spelled out?

Alejandro 10 and harrylee773 repped this.
  2. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston would have proposed wearing Black for this game then it was up to RSL to propose what they would wear. If Houston had worn Orange I think RSL would wear white as i think the Orange kits get darker when they get sweaty and the refs don't like that and would have pushed RSL to whites. But who knows.

3. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Cinci may have proposed they wear their white kit in Seattle. Seattle's green is considered light be the league so a Light vs. Light would have to have been checked off on.

I don't know if it's listed anywhere tbh. I know about it from talking friends at club and league.

TKyle repped this.
  4. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Competition" is PRO. They do a review for the full year at the beginning of the season and the refs double check a few days before each game. I think there is a way to make changes too, but I don't know that for sure.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I remain unconvinced that Houston would have been allowed to wear Orange. I think if the Dynamo could have worn Orange they would have done so. We'll see what happens in the future.

We'll see what Seattle does in Week 2. The rest of the games look pretty predictable.

Seattle v. Colorado
    Will we see Green (light) v. Red (dark)? Or Green (light) v. White (light) again? I guess Seattle might go Black so Colorado would definitely wear White.

6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...which is the league’s referee organization, correct?

7. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

TKyle repped this.
  8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #508 TKyle, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    IMO, this whole thing is stupid.

In this past weekend’s games...
    NE could have worn navy vs DAL’s red, and
    RSL could have worn red vs HOU’s black (or a yellow second color instead of a white second color, since yellow and not white is part of their color scheme).
    If PHI had worn their navy, TOR should have been able to wear their red.

White jerseys for so many team’s second jersey is so dull and unimaginative. Before, it was easier to ID teams not in their home kits. Now there are carbon copies.

Also, when it comes down to what is always most important—$$$—the plethora of white has got to be bad for jersey sales. Will anyone buy Cincy’s white jersey? I’d consider an orange one, but not white (if I weren’t a Crew fan[emoji16]). Would Rapids fans be more likely to buy sky blue in place of white? I would bet a lot of fans would rather buy a black jersey if that were an option in, say, Toronto and Chicago, just like that option which they have this cycle in Seattle and Houston. Even a grey option like NYRB has would be better than white.

Why did the league go to this stupid plan anyway?? It wasn’t broke; it didn’t need fixing.

harrylee773 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The grey kit that the Fire had over the last two seasons was definitely the bet away option they've had - including the navy kit. There's no way in hell I'm buying the white kit.
    Even with the light vs dark mandate, there are plenty of options that could get around white: grey, sky, pink, lime, yellow, gold, peach. Every team gets their primary and then a secondary that ties into their colors, but is light (or dark in the case of LA, Seattle, Columbus, and Houston). Columbus, Houston, and Seattle are rocking with no whites; it's really not that hard.
    Having all white kits makes having white hoops or stripes pretty difficult, if you think about it. More color means more variety, which hopefully, eventually means more sales. I understand that part of this comes from slow sales on kits. Maybe extend the cycle for the home kits beyond two years (they shouldn't change that drastically anyway) and start cranking out some good change kits. I think Seattle keeps getting bold secondaries and was previously getting thirds due to the fact that people buy them. Maybe if the focus was on making a solid four season home kit and rocking different alt kits every two years, sales would pick up.
    Realistically, how many variations of a team's home jersey do most people buy?

TKyle and harrylee773 repped this.
  10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    And as it has been mentioned before, it isn't that white uniforms are always bad. It is just when teams use white as an automatic secondary choice uniform, it is just lazy. Especially when white is paired with white shorts and white socks. I at least would be more forgiving if teams with the white jersey would pair them with alternate colored shorts. Like burgundy in Colorado, navy or yellow for RSL, etc (someone else can make out a list if wanted). Just little things can go a long way.

TKyle repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Please tell me it's ping pong or pool.
    Not Red, we bleed burgundy in Colorado.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As far as I'm concerned there are only 7 colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black, and White.
    I will concede shades of those but only things like light blue or dark green.
    It's Red to me.

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy don't even have their primary available for sale because of the switch to 5 stars. People are snatching up anything with 5 stars.

DonJuego repped this.
  14. kelly garban

kelly garban New Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Do you think Dynamo wrote the black kit because they can't match the undershirts to the color of the new tops?

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I guess that's an alternate theory.

And since I already brought up "clash" in this thread what is the deal with "top"? I'm assuming that's another British-ism that has crept into American soccer. "Top", in my long American life, has almost always referred to women's clothing. Men's clothing for the upper part of their body is a "shirt", or in sports usage a "jersey". "Sweater" has some relevance in hockey. OK, "tank top" as a combination term for that particular garment is acceptable. But that's it.

Hearing men's clothing referred to as a "top" is just very strange to my ear. I seem to mostly hear it in soccer contexts so I'm assuming that it is more of British usage. Am I the only one?

aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Oh, and stop saying "starlet" for a young male soccer prospect.

Definition:

That's it.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for purple or pink?

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmm. I guess I could add those two.

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the Florida teams are forcing you’re hand.

20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about brown? Vancouver's brown kit a few years ago was legitimately one of my favorites because you hardly ever see that color used. I also like Wyoming's (NCAA) and Cleveland's (NFL) use of the color. Too many brown teams is crap, but one thrown in occasionally -when executed well, like the Whitecaps - looks sharp.

harrylee773 and TKyle repped this.
  21. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do you have a source for this? It would be crazy to imagine that they'd remove the possibility of Red v Blue for MTL-TOR or NYR-NYC.

22. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Light vs Dark is the default for the league. The Clubs can propose what they wear do NYCFC/NYRB can both say we want to wear Red vs Blue and as long as competition group approves they will wear it.

23. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A slight stretch on this post. Much like the Sounders (Current) Home jersey all the Anthem Bomber Jackets this year are all unique in that the tape on the shoulders and sleeves are from a continuous roll of fabric.

24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ha! You probably think Merlot and Malbec are the same.
    Amber Lager and Red Ale....

Primary colors are like modern art. Lacking.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wine is wasted on me. I'll admit that. I like red wine. The exact type is not that big a deal.

As far as beer I like lots of different kinds. The color of it is not much of a factor. My favorite type is probably browns so I'll add that to my color list. But not tan, chocolate, or burnt umber. Just brown.

One of my favorite jokes here in Texas is that the two most popular colleges wear brown and dark brown. If the UT and A&M fans get the joke they don't seem to like it but it works for me.

AlbertCamus repped this.