PBP: 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Rd. 3: ATL vs. TOR

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 29, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium – Atlanta
    October 30 – 8 PM ET
    FS1

AJC.com United home page here.
    MLSsoccer.com preview here
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    Toronto preview here.

First, just to confirm Miles is out for Wednesday but Parkhurst has a glimmer of hope. Jozy Altidore also remains listed as questionable for Toronto.

Oh, by the way, winner advances to the MLS Cup final.

Toronto comes in as the #4 side in the east but arguably the most in-form side in the conference due a 12-match unbeaten run in MLS play. They've rediscovered the balanced play that lay behind their own MLS Cup winning season in 2017, largely in restoring the connections between their deep-seated and advanced wide players. (Almost a classic case of a team losing it's star player (Gio) and seeing everyone else step up as a result.) Toronto is a team that relies and quick ball-movement and a tight, conservative defense that minimizes mistakes. While they might press Atlanta because of the Stripes' injury woes the Reds will normally be reserved enough so that they don't lose position themselves and always have outlets at the ready for when they retain possession. This is where newcomer and recent MLS Best XI player Alejandro Pozuelo has greatly contributed, byt given Toronto an excellent ball-handler who can play in front of Bradley and give the offense a dynamic option. It's also why it's often more effective when they have Altidore available because he becomes a more true target man once again.

Having said that there was some fortune in their two playoff games that belies their strengths and weaknesses. They failed to put away RBNY until extra time, showing difficulty in keeping the ball in their opponent's defensive third and looking susceptible to through balls. Against CFG:NY their two goals came by way of a penalty and a major defensive lapse. (Paying attention, LGP?) Toronto could have easily lost either match and no one would've felt it was undeserved, so for all their potency they haven't exactly evoked a sense of world-beaters.

Mind you the same could be said for Atlanta, which eked past the revolution and then proved more convincing against Philly. Stylistically the Revs are more like the Reds in how they try to play but the talent levels are decidedly different. What Atlanta will need to recall is the ability to switch marks for possible counter attacks and not let their wide attacking players get caught out, because Toronto will look to use the width of the field to make space for Pozuelo and Co.

Unlike the Revs, however, the Toronto defense might show more susceptibility to width, as well. Their defense has played well but against a more lackluster RB:NY side (Sorry, RWP) and a CFG:NY team that arguably played their worst match in weeks, if not all season. Neither centerback should prove a difficulty for Josef and players like Pity, Barco, Nagbe, and Meram should find opportunities to pass through Reds defenders and invite clean shot attempts.

Josef wants to make the finals, and the home crowd helps make the difference.

2-1

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't have a score to offer- taking whatever win I can get here. Because of how they won their last two, I don't see TFC as a scoring threat that we can be when Josef finishes his chances (DCU quit after Hamid's poor play in aet, IMO). Vamos!

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    First things first, there is another game tonight. Hup, Seattle, Hup!

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oooo weee

We win and we host!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now I'm really pissed I was late getting my seats for the final! Alas, at least I'll be there.

Mabee and Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, me and my crew had to sit in the nosebleeds in the endzone for MLS Cup last year. Didn't bother me a bit. This year, I pounced a little quicker and got better seats (still in the 3rd deck, but not in the way back in the endzone).

Toronto is going to be a tough out. I'm assuming we get Altidore for a good portion of the game, and I think we have the strength and height to deal with him. But bodying up on Altidore and then switching to finesse and tactical acumen for Pozuelo is going to be difficult.

How in the world could Parkhurst possibly be back from that injury so soon? Is that just a tactic to make Toronto plan for him? And then *wham* Miles Robinson is in the starting lineup? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the captain back on the pitch for a final, but that would absolutely amaze me.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lest I'm mistaken the nature of Parky's injury wouldn't prohibit his play, it's merely gauging the severity of the pain and the potential for him to reinjure his self during the match. By contrast if Miles has any strain on the hammy he shouldn't be running.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That game last night was no fluke. Seattle were by far the better team and deserved to win.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could say I was confident, but in truth, I’m worried our shape is not solid.

but I said the same against Philly, and loved the fact I was proven wrong.

I hope to be proven wrong again.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Step 1 - Win tonight
    Step 2 - No more injuries or suspensions

All that matters right now.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    FWIW, yellow cards accumulation are reset in the Conference Final, so unless someone picks up a red tonight everyone should be available for the Cup Final if we win.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we're going to be okay v. TFC. I felt like we could beat Philly or NYC in the Benz, and I feel the same v. TFC. The sickening feeling I got when the Galaxy didn't get it done at LAFC is now gone. I just hope we can handle this from here out. We've gone from having two CBs out with Yankee Stadium in the future, followed by the Banc... to a couple of clean sheets and home field the rest of the way. Let's get this win tonight and then prep for Seattle, who is truly no joke.

Jozy is too damn big to be playing this game... hoping LGP can get in his head instead of the other way around.

If we win, we've got almost a week and a half to prep for Seattle. I don't think that'll be an issue.

Maybe Parky can play, but he'll probably need a shot or something. Been years since I pulled anything, so maybe I'm wrong.

Don't look for Miles at all. I'll be surprised if he's ready for the Final. Torn hams are no joke, even for a youngster.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whoops- separated

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Parkhurst didn't pull a muscle, he dislocated his shoulder. He returned to training this week and the comments out of Marietta were promising. I'd still be surprised to see him in the starting lineup tonight.

Miles Robinson won't be back again this year.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, that's what I was referencing. So long as our players keep their heads about them. *states at LGP*

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Parky in the starting XI tonight. Pity as well.

More importantly, 42k paper crowns as the free swag for everyone tonight! Clearly s*** is about to get real.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder why not opening up the full house? Is interest dying down?

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, we could have put this game to bed!

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did I do we would do something stupid in this game? Miss a pk and give up a goal minutes later

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s odd is Pity is the main one who looks up for this game

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barco and Josef have been off tonight

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is making me a nervous wreck. We should have already put this 3, 4 up

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Weeknight on quick turn around = normal capacity.

Auriaprottu repped this.