News: 2019 Media, FO, and in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Damn it's too late to edit again.

This was supposed to be "campaign reporter" and not "campaign writer." Obviously there's a huge difference between the two and I don't want to mischaracterize her career path.

asitis and Winoman repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Post sports section carries much more about local high school sports than they used to, but they still overload (IMO) the reportage about the Big Three sports (football; basketball; baseball) with multiple reporters per sport, with poor, lonely Steve Goff carrying the ball, so to speak, for soccer. Even if the big three teams stink (as they do more often than not) and United shines (a distinct possibility this season) this calculus is unlikely to change.:(

Winoman repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Even worse, today’s D7 preview of the game in the Post is a reprint of Goff’s blog article of Yow from Friday, with no quotes about today’s game, just a guess at the lineup.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the post is trending international, someone should let them know that DCU's star player is more famous worldwide than the Wizards' entire roster put together. :confused:

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The Wizards/Bullets rosters from the beginning of time.

GumbyG repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

dadman, superdave, usadcu and 6 others repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm pretty sure he's trying desperately to forget that time

8. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You know, I had forgotten about that mistake. When you hang them up, they should be kept hung up.

Winoman repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The mistake wasn't him being on the roster. The mistake was him running the team. Also, fire Ernie, Ted.

Winoman, benni... and UnitedBorn repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still get the WaPo. I could've written that letter myself, having had the same response to the non-coverage after the RSL game.

But I gave up long ago trying to get that paper to change its ways. The WaPo is always going to treat soccer and MLS like an annoying inconvenience, detracting from "real" sports coverage.

My guess is nothing will change because most people who follow MLS don't read their fishwrap anyway.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case people don't check the game thread:

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and GumbyG repped this.
  14. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game for Saturday should be of interest. Top team in the West (LAFC) versus the top team in the East (DC United).

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney in 3rd for GoW

16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    While I voted for it (homer here), that Pozuelo chip was pretty fecking good.

greatscott, Eastern Bear and fatbastard repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pozuelo's gonna win this week.

FYI, Rodriguez didn't win goal of the week for his Week 3 volley.

18. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Should be of interest?

To us? We'll be rivited.

To MLS as a whole? Should be the most intriguing match of the weekend.

To the Washington P*st:
    :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: then a sarcastic :thumbsup: , and the coverage of the game in the Sunday sports section will be:

crickets . . . chirp, chirp

TowsonDad repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, TowsonDad and fatbastard repped this.
  20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The outfit that did the surgery is first rate. One of their docs did the work on my dental implants. They also performed a very tricky set of surgeries on my daughter when she was very young. One of the surgeons there, now retired, was the one who worked on Jim Brady, Reagan's press secretary, after he was shot in the Hinkley assassination attempt.

dadman, ejs1111, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  21. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least it is nationally broadcast on Fox.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the concussion recovery. Also, training and being fit to play could be pretty different. Hopefully your right.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    I listed two tickets through the DCU account manager for the LAFC game and get an nice confirmation email from tikatDiktator with this paragraph (bolding mine):

“Ticketmaster, the official resale partner of the Ticketsnow, manages several different resale marketplaces on behalf of its partners. After posting your tickets, you may notice that list prices vary across those different sites. For instance, if your tickets appear on Ticketmaster.com's latest resale platform, TM+, the listing price will be higher than the list price on the league resale site. This is simply because the price displayed on TM+ presents all buyer and seller fees up front. Learn about TM+ . But please know that your final payout will be the exact same, regardless of where the ticket sells.”

The highlighted sentence is a COMPLETE misrepresentation (if not outright lie). The tickets are listed on TM at $116 ea PLUS fees (total cost to buyer $140ea). So tm is going to make $12 per ticket off of me AND and an additional $24 off the buyer.

They also showed immediately on “partner” site SeatGeek for $141 PLUS $47.25 ea in fees ($376.50 total). That is $71 more per ticket than my payout.

But I am so reassured that my final payout will be exactly the same irregardless (sic) of how much they sell my tickets for....

The above paragraph makes them seem as if they are being transparent. But it’s all just soooooo (machete) shady. Of course, the entire league is doing it now....so include Garber in this eff the fans mess.

dadman, sitruc, JayRockers! and 4 others repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo Maurer is saying that Lucho is still in PSG's sights, as well as Fenerbahce, another French club, and team(s) from England and Saudi Arabia. We need some deep pockets. Can we get Jeff Bezos interested in soccer? (There is a rumor that he wants to buy the NY Knicks .)

Winoman repped this.
  25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, if Jeff Bezos isn't interested, how about McKenzie Bezos? She's got the cash, and isn't burdened with management responsibilities at Amazon, et. al.. following her divorce.

Winoman, dadman, sitruc and 2 others repped this.