2019 Gold Cup roster/starter predictions?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They can have them, but let's be honest about them. The suggestion that Morales should get a look based who we have been calling in seems reasonable and unbiased. The response we got about Morales is based off MLS bias. I personally don't encourage the bias at all. I think the fact that these MLS fans have this bias enables the coaches to do what they have been doing in 2017 and now 2019.

The big complaint prior to 2017 was that MLS players werent getting a fair chance. Since then there has been a huge bias toward them and we still dont have any significant addition to the team from the MLS pool.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    USSF is a club that Morales isnt a member and Bradley is a legacy.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    i agree with most of this but again Keller is allowed to want whom he wants and I don't think that USSF gives two figs about the average USMNT fan TBH.

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I do think Morales should get a chance in the future, but I don't think the Gold Cup is the right time for him, as he doesn't have the integration with his teammates needed to be successful. And while Alfredo is having a decent year, his career doesn't shout "world-beater". He's no Jermaine Jones, he doesn't score goals, and he hasn't proven better than the alternatives (McKennie, Adams, Bradley). Haven't seen evidence he'd be better than Trapp or Canouse either. He's basically had two good seasons in last seven years, going by team performance/playing level.

The days of being an average Bundesliga player being enough to guarantee you a spot are no longer. (See Chandler, Timmy.)

2018-19: Fortuna Dusseldorf currently 11th out of 18 in Bundesliga. Decent season.

2017-18: Played whole year in Second Bundesliga, where his team Ingolstadt finished 9th out of 18. Not great.

2016-17: Ingolstadt finishes 17th out of 18 in Bundesliga (relegated). Not great.

2015-16: Ingolstadt finishes 11th out of 18 in Bundesliga. Decent outcome.

2012-2015: Plays three seasons in Second Bundesliga. Average.

5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The days of being a BL player guaranteeing you a spot are no longer? Because we have MLS guys that are just as good? Because Timmy Chandler is in the same position as Morales (ie. getting ignored)?

You are absolutely spot on in that you haven't "seen evidence", because these guys are not getting a chance!!! You think MB, Trapp, or Canouse could step in and start regularly in the BL? But they are somehow better, since Morales hasn't "proven" anything, as he hasn't had a chance in 4 years. How does this make sense?

Finally, I feel like I've heard the first excuse before...the Gold Cup isn't the "right time". It wasn't in 2017 either, to incorporate Miazga, McKennie, John Gonzalez, etc...let's walk that strategy back!!!

btlove and Patrick167 repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd take Morales and Canouse over Bradley and Trapp easily. Not being integrated is a horrible excuse for the Gold Cup. There is a camp and friendly beforehand.

Morales is soley responsible for his club's position in the table? Trapp finished 10th and Bradley finished 19th out of 23 teams last year. Not great or average?

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Nope, Toronto is first in MLS this year, and 2 years ago. That's all that matters!!

keller4president repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    As the phrase goes,"you don't have to outrun the bear...."

The thought that MB (or WT, whom I'd argue is better than MB btw) is a B1 player is ludicrous to me (Fortuna is ranked #122 and TFC #253 - not even close) but I have a real problem with him not being called up to this FIFA window and then "he doesn't have the integration with his teammates needed to be successful" is used. That's a circular argument.

adam tash repped this.
  9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    My comments on Morales and the Gold Cup are based off more what I think Berhalter will do, than what I would have done. But I highly doubt that Berhalter is biased in favor of MLS players. He played most of his career in Germany and the Netherlands, and I imagine is highly attuned to the differences in competition and pressure. I'm sure he has scouted Morales or watched video of his games, and has thus far decided that he doesn't merit a call-up. He's a defensive-minded CM, of which we have many to choose from.

DHC1 repped this.
  10. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I think that's kind of an obvious point, since he hasn't been called up. The issue most have is we're not at a level where you can simply ignore BL starters. Add to that we're playing a DM that doesn't, ya know, play defense, and it allows for some questioning/speculation...

I don't understand how there are so many that continue to sing the "he's the coach, he certainly knows best" tune after what we have seen the last couple years, specifically in Couva.

btlove, bsky22 and Patrick167 repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We lack quality wingers, yet Duane Holmes who can play on the wings and in central midfield hasn't been called.

12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I think GB has likely watched extensive video of him, and to this point doesn't think his play or form merits a call-up.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams and Long were significant additions.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #139 DHC1, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Mind if I press you on this position as it's the biggest issue out there?

1. Why do you think GB took non-core MLS guys whose familiarity is only one camp: (Lewis, MB, Baird, Lima, Lovitz, Lletget, Roldan, Arriola, Morris and Ramirez, OG)

over

Non-core pool European guys who play at a team that are better than MLS but haven't gotten a look: (Weah, Sargent, Morales, Wood, FJ, Gall) and non-core pool European guys who play at a team that are equal to MLS but haven't gotten a look: (CCV, Holmes, Lichaj, Robinson, Amon, Gooch)?

One can quibble about each name (or U-23, etc.) but the totality of the list is striking to me. I'd argue that the upside ceiling on the MLS list is significantly lower than those abroad but, at a minimum, it's hard to say the opposite (that the MLS list has a significantly higher ceiling). Maybe he's planning an upcoming Euro camp as THHF mentioned in another post and that would moot a lot of my worries.

2. You don't have any concern that GB is pushing WT/MB as the QB of our system? You see no whiff of smoke that it's related to an MLS preference?

3. Do you think our last MLS based coach, BA, had an MLS preference?

Thanks.

btlove and bsky22 repped this.
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    What makes you believe that? I've never heard GB comment on Holmes and afaik has never considered him or watched him.

The best i can hope for is that GB came up with a plan last August, when he got the job, and has stuck with it. Since Holmes emerged over the past 3 months, he is not involved. Same reason Adams is playing RB rather than CM. Is it a 4 year plan chiseled in stone? Maybe, we will see.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Neither had even played in MLS prior to 2017.

17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Was sarcasm, based on the previous comment saying the same thing about Morales.

btlove, Patrick167 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    My response was to

Adams and Long were from the MLS pool. If you meant something else, then cool.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Adam's yes. Long not so fast.

20. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    Bottom line for me, 2019 will be the 2nd straight year of lost opportunity to remake/turnover the MNT and prepare to compete in the upcoming qualifiers.

Stop dicking around attempting to resuscitate the old guard (losers)

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen? Adams? Long?

Might want to rethink that last part.

Trapp plays an awful lot too.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Steffen and Adams, definitely!

Long, wait and see.

Trapp is a huge negative that is being forced on us.

yurch10 repped this.
  23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    After the Chile match, Tenorio wrote an article discussing the current U.S. depth chart and detailing an official Athletic squad projection for the Gold Cup (he uses "we" instead of "I"):

Steffen, Johnson, Guzan
    Brooks, Long, Miazga, Zimmerman
    Adams, Yedlin, Ream, Garza
    Bradley, Trapp, McKennie, Roldan
    Pulisic, Lletget, Arriola, Weah, Morris
    Altidore, Zardes, Sargent

https://theathletic.com/895952/2019...depth-chart-after-four-games-under-berhalter/

I think this is a reasonable guess based on Berhalter's callups so far, although I think the Athletic is dead wrong about Sargent and Weah - if Berhalter didn't want them in March, then why would he want them in June? Guzan over Horvath would also be a surprise. They also acknowledge that left back is a total mystery. Ream seems likely since Berhalter appears to like him, but Garza seems to be a placeholder for them.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    They had two days in March, they will have two weeks in June. Great time to teach Altidore, Weah, Sargent the forward system.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I agree that is probably close to accurate. I also agree that it is an absolute embarrassment.