2019 Gold Cup roster/starter predictions?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    BS posters are allowed (and even encouraged) to have their preferences and KfP clearly does. It's a problem when the coach has a systematic preference that IMO is not based upon who makes the team better.

That being said, it's hard for me to understand how MB's and SL's performance vs. Chile (the only one I saw) was cause for optimism, although I did see that many pundits lauded MB. Each looked at least a step too slow and MB's passing wasn't enough to offset his speed deficiency.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    MB is a lock, of course, in my opinion to get the caps record. Also, I think many look at one or two nice long passes, and it really sticks out for them. Whatever, I'm resigned to this.

I don't get the rationale that "Morales looked average 4 years ago, hasn't been in since, which means he doesn't deserve it". It makes no sense on so many levels, I have trouble even forming an argument.

By most accounts, MB struggled mightily in MLS last year, and we all know what happened under his leadership in the Hex. Yet nobody questions his inclusion. But a guy who has had zero opportunities with USMNT, who has consistently found the field in the Bundesliga, isn't worth another look (multiple looks) just because he hasn't been seen since 2016.

SteelyTom, adam tash, btlove and 3 others repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    TFC have greatly improved since ditching the lone d-mid position. MB is now playing as an 8, which is where he should also play for the NT.

4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is the new position for him? We've been told the last few years (after it wasn't working as an 8/10 in more advanced positions), that since he doesn't have the legs to be a B2B MF anymore, he should be a 6, where "he has always been most comfortable". That's no longer the case? I get so confused as we consistently move the US team around to satisfy what is actually his best position (which also changes every year).

bsky22, Patrick167 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Morales in 2016, one useful thing that JK did that I hope Berhalter will emulate is create a mini-camp at the end of the season to look at the fringe Euro-guys.

In 2016, JK had a camp at the end of the Euro season but before the Copa100 camp that was exclusively fringe Euro/Liga MX. He looked at players like Morales, Williams, Kitchen, Miazga, Ream, Lichaj, Green, Hyndman, Picault, Orozco, Arriola, Kitchen, Stanko, and Armando Moreno! They played a friendly v Puerto Rico.

Kitchen and Orozco were selected from that fringe group to the Copa100 roster.

I really hope that GB does something similar!

adam tash, btlove, bsky22 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think getting Altidore back and putting Pozuelo on the field has been more important. That Vanney has spent most of the time since Couva trying to keep Bradley away from the #6; but GB is building his team around him there, is a strange dichotomy.

We saw against Chile and that TFC CCL matchup, why Vanney would want him out of there.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It is hard to envision Adams and McKennie and Pulisic waiting around with their hands in their shorts waiting for Bradley to slowly move up field. It might work in MLS where you have room and defenses are mostly poor and you can just pass to an open Pozuelo or Altidore eventually.

Bradley and Carli Lloyd are parallel cases. Both were dominant B2B players at the last WC, but both are too slow for international football and their coaches at club and NT are searching for someway to keep them relevant.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    In all seriousness, I think GB has Trapp ahead of Bradley. This is simply unfathomable to the media, but Trapp has consistently played with the first team and Bradley the second team.

How long can we keep Adams at RB to leave Bradley in the team as a backup? Maybe there is a deal where he retires after the Gold Cup. Maybe we use him in CNL and leave Adams in Germany.

I think if he was given a real shot, Canouse would already be in the team and Bradley would be out. For whatever reason, GB wants Bradley and is doing pretzel drawings with his tactics to do it.

Bradley vs Chile has been very useful to separate the actual media guys that can analyze a game and those that can't or don't want to.

adam tash repped this.
  9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    What the GC roster should be:

GK: Steffan, Horvath, Johnson
    RB: Yedlin, Cannon (or Dest)
    CB: Brooks, Long, Miazga, CCV
    LB: Robinson, Gloster
    DM: Adams, Canouse (or Trapp)
    CM: McKennie, Roldan, Holmes, Lletget (or Saief)
    RW: Arriola, Weah
    CF: Altidore, Sargent,
    LW: Pulisic, Morris (or Zardes)

As a wrinkle, I would have Dest, Mendez, Ledezma, CCV, Alvarez (if he would come), and Gloster for the Group Stage and then let them go to their preseasons and bring in Cannon, Zimmerman, Zardes, Roldan, Altidore, Lovitz for the Knock Out rounds.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #110 DHC1, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    What the GC roster should be:

GK: Steffan, Horvath, Johnson
    RB: Yedlin, Chandler (if healthy - Cannon/Lima if not)
    CB: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Lots of choices
    LB: FJ, Robinson
    DM: Adams, Morales, Trapp
    CM: McKennie, Holmes,
    RW: Arriola, Weah
    CF: Altidore, Sargent, Wood
    LW: Pulisic, Zardes

Alternates: Gall, MB, Roldan, Morris, Cannon/Lima

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think Wood or Chandler will be healthy. Johnson and Morales are fine, but there are younger players that should be integrated. But Johnson instead of Lovitz as a Knock Out replacement for Gloster makes more sense. I had forgotten him.

DHC1 repped this.
  12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Gold Cup squad this year looks to be one of the bigger roster mysteries we've had for a tournament in some time. Either we basically already know who will be on the squad if we assume Berhalter called up who he honestly considers our top players for the last two friendlies held during a FIFA window where everyone was available, or as many around here seem to assume, he was calling in a lot of placeholders and we'll get a significantly different squad for Gold Cup. I tend to believe it is more the former, which is worrying. Fortunately, most of our region is MLS and below players with a couple ringers anyway, so even with an 80% MLS team, we should at least make the semis. And with Pulisic on the field, we can always defend and have a decent chance at getting something in the goal against Costa Rica or Mexico.

I know it is very popular around here to say Gold Cup doesn't matter, but I always want to win it. I think plopping every hope and dream for success of the team to be decided during three games every four years while having no real rooting or competitive interest until then is absurd. I'll be disappointed if we don't make the final and just as pissed at Berhalter as I was at Klinsmann if we lose to any teams not named Costa Rica or Mexico.

SteelyTom, Magikfute, btlove and 3 others repped this.
  13. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I think Alvarez is a pipe dream for now, as he is in camp with Mexico U17s or something i just saw. Also saw the expectation is that Mexico calls him for Gold Cup to put an end to our suffering. Hope for the best, but I'm expecting the worst.

Agree with the others, especially Dest. From the U17 WC until now, every time I see his tape it's ridiculous. Sure I'm not an expert, but I really think he could be pushing for a starting spot right now, if given the chance. He is excellent.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If not Efra, then Llanez or KDLF.

yurch10 repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, that CCL fiasco was the last of MB at the 6.

TFC won their first two league matches. Neither had Jozy or Pozuelo in the starting lineup.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Given the changes in MB's game, I'd like to see the NT's midfield depth chart adjusted to:

----------------------------------forward line-----------------
    -------Pulisic/Lletget/Mihailovic----------McKennie/Bradley/Nagbe/Roldan------
    ----------------=--------Adams/Trapp/Canouse------

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

eleven,

Are you assuming a 433 or a 532? Not sure I want Pulisic/Lletget/Mihailovic to have full responsibility for defending a wing.

18. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    -------------------Joe Blow-----------------
    Ebonisse---Pulisic------Roldan-----Baird
    -------------Bradley-------Delgado--------
    Garza----Long------Zimmerman-----Adams
    ---------------------Steffon---------------

What I am expecting from this coaching staff
    Morris will push Baird
    Arriola and Lleget off of the bench
    Rave about Bradley

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    433. That depth chart would be playing a-mid.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    is this what you want or what you think GB will do?

If it's the latter, replace MB or Delgado with WT.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #121 DHC1, Apr 4, 2019
    After rewatching several of the goals against in the Hex, I think we need to have strong wing defense. It killed us as our backline/GK doesn't do a great job of snuffing out crosses and shots from the wing.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    3G seems to have recognized this. His system emphasizes athletic wing-forwards who can track back and defend. The LB will stay closer to the backline. Yedlin has been moved to wing forward.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who are you thinking about on the left wing forward (covering for CP et al)?

If we must use this system, I could make a pretty strong argument for CP as a wing forward and getting him the ball in space. I think there would be more room to maneuver at wing forward than as part of the midfield.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #124 IndividualEleven, Apr 4, 2019
    --------------------------Zardes--------------
    --------Holmes-----------------------------Yedlin---
    -----------------Pulisic----------McKennie-----
    --------------------------Adams----

Holmes is versatile player who has put up big WSs at wing forward and at Pulisic's spot(in 433).

DHC1 repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Interesting. If healthy, I'd put Chandler in DY spot as i think he has better offensive capabilities and we won't need a ton of coverage on WM's side.