2019 FIFA U20 World Cup: Non-U.S. team and tournament news

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 14, 2018.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Too early to make any judgments but I am happy about the lack of draws. It does seem as if in the past plenty of 3 point teams made the knockout rounds (listed them in the Ukraine thread going back to the '07 Cup), but in recent cups (the past two) it's been 4 point squads that collected the knockout round tickets (7 of the past 8, after 3 point sides got more than half of the tickets between the '07 and the '13 tourneys). The lack of draws so far is at least a hopeful sign on that account, only 2 of them across match day 1. Then again that's what happened in '17 as well (2 draws on match day 1, 3 on matchday 2, and 4 on match day 3). I'm at a loss trying to figure out what's good for us in the midst of a potential match day 2 loss. The best I can think of is few and far between draws to avoid so many 4 point squads.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico smoked twice.

3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Not just losing, but losing ugly. I know it’s a down cycle for them but they’re saying that about the u17s too. We need a strong Mexico since our games are the only CONCACAF ones that matter

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They aren't that good anymore in these youth tournaments, and their player production is starting to decline.

I think its going to be a very one-sided rivalry within five years. We are producing a lot better players than they are. Its shown by the fact that they are using so many American born and developed players in their YNT's.

USSoccerNova, Patrick167, Gacm32 and 9 others repped this.
  5. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I don't know if either of them are downcycles, with one of the best players of Liga MX this season being a part of the U20 team (although he got there like a day before the first match), plus a couple of other interesting players (how much more can you realistically expect of one generation anyway).

It just seems that the process of putting together these squads is misguided. They highly value continuity so you see players whose only attribute is having been at one of these camps before, regardless of how poorly they perform now. Here's a significant fact, the two teams who played the final of the U20 Liga MX tournament have zero players on this squad.

6. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really impressed by how Ecuador took it to Italy today despite being down a man for most of the match. A likely knockout stage match with Argentina or Portugal awaits.

Embarrassing performance by Mexico. They'll be going home after the next game as 0 points and a -4 goal differential will be too much to overcome.

Senegal with an impressive victory over Colombia, although both goals were via PK's. Group A will be Senegal #1, Colombia #2 (unless they get shocked by Poland) and Poland #3. Poland will have a chance to go through as a 3rd place finisher due to their inflated goal differential from the Tahiti match.

I wish FIFA would put a cap on goal differential given that it's the first tie-breaker. What would be more equitable is a max +/- of 3 goals per game. Not everyone has a minnow like Tahiti.

Guinho, ielag, Pegasus and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t catch the Ecuador-Italy match, but I wasn’t especially impressed with Italy against Mexico. I guess that’s another knock against Mexico. Neither team was all that impressive to me.

8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Panama holds it down for CONCACAF with a huge result against the African champions, Mali. Big save from the GK with his face and a penalty gave them the 1-1 draw. Camara from Mali may be one of the best players at the tournament.

Senegal's defeat of Colombia did not surprise me in the slightest, as I always thought they would win the group. They earned the penalties and Colombia failed to threaten which has been Colombia's problem this cycle.

Ecuador is one of the stronger teams in the tournament but has one point from two games in which they dominated possession and chances. It's somewhere the USA could find themselves easily tomorrow I'm afraid. They will come after Mexico as it is a must win for them to make the next stage. If they take third, that is an unlucky draw for whatever group winner they face.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh

Macias does look like a future star and the numbers back it up but it's so hard for talented strikers on bad teams in this tournament; look at Haland for Norway who got eaten alive by Uruguay. Are you concerned about the way Lainez is playing? He gets the ball often but does not seem to be able to turn that into opportunities.

10. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Whether Mexico does well or not in these youth tournaments, it doesn't really tell you much about talent development. We won one U17 world cup in 2011 and I don't think there's a single player that is getting playing time in Liga MX. We've also done well in the U20 with best result being 3rd place in 2011 and only like 4 players out of that team ended up playing in Liga MX.

Player selection is always questionable early on, but it is what it is. As long as players are proving to their clubs that they are good and getting playing time, that's really all that matters when it comes to getting called up to the senior NT.

11. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Personally, not really. Setien had Betis playing a very direct style that doesn’t suit him at all, so it’s really no wonder he wasn’t using him very much. You can tell it’s affecting his performances but his kind of skill doesn’t just disappear. From the look of this U20 tournament he’ll get a full summer preseason with his club. I think he’ll be fine.

Thundering165 repped this.
  12. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    It's not suprising, as Japan is very strong in youth development recently. And this Japanese U20 team is far from their best squad, as a few players are promoted to their senior team to play in Copa America, such as Kubo, known as Japanese Messi.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    4 points will be enough, 3 require some help.
    Good reasonable results for 3rd team from our group:
    Senegal to win,
    Mexico not to lose,
    Panama not to win.
    Probably one of those would be enough as another not qualifying 3rd seems to come from Group F.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Matchday 2 of group play concludes today, after which we should have a better sense of the possible KO matchups.

Group E

France v Panama
    Mali v Saudi Arabia

Group F

Argentina v Portugal
    South Korea v South Africa

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

I would say that with regards to this group of players, we saw the writing on the wall in the CONCACAF tournament. In the first group stage they demolished minnows (Grenada, Nicaragua, Aruba, and Saint Martin), but only got a draw against Jamaica. In the qualification stage they drew with Panama, and eeked out a 1-0 victory over a weak El Salvador team. Then in the final they were beaten by the US 2-0. Two Mendez goals, and he's been the US' best player so far.

They really did manage to qualify for this U20 World Cup without beating any of the "bigger" CONCACAF teams. The US by comparison beat Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, and T&T to win that event.

I look at this Mexico team and it seems to be Lainez, Macias, and 9 others.

You are certainly correct that it really doesn't matter all that much. What matters is development with club teams and then elevation of the select few (like Lainez) to the senior team. Its a down cycle in terms of results, and every national team program has down cycles. Particularly in these age groups that are small slivers of the player pool (and one coach's selections from that pool).

16. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I this were the mid90's and early 2000's, absolutely, but with our players developing overseas and getting real minutes, I don't know how much it will matter anymore. I think smashing Mexico and leaving no doubt that we've surpassed them will be better for us overall.

17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Remember these odds?

Norway was supposedly 10x more likely to win the whole thing than the New Zealand team that beat them 2-0. New Zealand is into the knockout rounds comfortably, along with Uruguay from their group.

18. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Uruguay looks pretty damn good. Threatening on the wings especially, with center mids who are really comfortable on the ball. They are one of my favourites for sure.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #119 TimB4Last, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Group E

France 2-0 Panama
    Mali v Saudi Arabia

Victorious France with a huge statistical edge, as expected.

Group F
    Argentina 2-0 Portugal
    South Korea v South Africa

Portugal lost despite a big edge in all the statistics measured (except the most important one).

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Argentina scored both goals somewhat against the run of play. Very high quality game all around, though; they could match up again in the final and I would not be surprised.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What's the non-U.S. goal of the tournament so far?

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    New Zealand's second against Norway:

Or Barco vs. South Africa:

EDIT: Videos won't embed, go to 1:08 for both videos.

Gacm32 and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  23. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
  24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Not sure what to think of France at this point. They got the results they needed, but how good did they play? Really worried we'll have to play them, bug glad they haven't looked like world beaters so far. Just frustrating to think that we could likely end up with France in the knockouts because of some flukey mental breakdowns against Ukraine. Hopefully Nigeria beats them and we crush Qatar.

25. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to have to play them at some point anyway, and i think we match up fine with them. Bring it France

markandrew78 repped this.