PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Round of 16: USA vs France

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 31, 2019.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 adam tash, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    I think people are overestimating France.

Style-wise the US matches up well with them...the full team just got a result in France last year with a bunch of u23s mind you.....and the u20s have had wins/results vs France very recently......this is not David/Goliath in the least.

As long as the US comes out with the right lineup and approach this will be a very even game. definitely winnable for the US.

------------------------Weah---------------------------
    LLanez--------------Ledezma--------------KDLF
    -----------------Pomykal-------Cerrillo------------
    Gloster----------Richards---McKenzie-------Araujo-
    ---------------------------GK---------------------------

Team needs to be able to possess the ball. If they pack it in with a bunch defenders I predict an ugly loss. So i'm benching the players who have struggled in possession: soto, keita, servania

Weah will be super-motivated to prove it to the French that he is the real deal....get him running on the break testing the French backline....use his speed up top.

Soto needs his chacnes created for him and is better vs inferior teams that bunker in....don't think that will be happening this game...bad matchup for him. So i'd bring him on if the team needs a goal...especially when/if france packs it in late protecting a lead.

I'd consider starting Rennicks over KDLF depending on how fresh KDLF is - he's looked haggard vs Qatar.....only the team will know the scoop on that...KDLF could be a good super-sub....him with fresh legs running at tired defenders could be dangerous.

Right back is a toss-up....havent seen Araujo but he's gotta be better than mckenzie there...that was horrible. A stay-at-home right back really kills this offense and neuters the right wing. Would have no probelm with Dest there ...but wanna see Araujo.

Mckenzie/keita is another toss-up....really wish we had seen Sands there. Mckenzie had a couple of awful challenges and gave up a bonehead PK and also offers little in terms of passing/possession...though he does seem stout in 1 on 1. Keita is decent in 1 on 1...but some horror giveaways and poor passing....not sure who is the better option there but this player will be CRUCIAL to the outcome, imo. NO STPID PKs/GIVEAWAYS!!!!

I like the thought earlier in the thread of giving the FC DALLAS midfielder a chance to start together...makes A TON of sense....haven't seen Cerillo but gotta think there would chemistry there between him and Pomykal. Not a fan of Servania so far...but maybe all 3 of them could work well if you go conservative and play 3 cm (not my preference).

Gloster is the obvious left back....will be key that he can handle the speed of France...he's done well so far but he's been a bit lucky at times in 1 on 1, imo....will be another big key to the game.

GK dont really have an opinion but was impressed with Scott's saves vs Nigeria...so I'd probably go with him. All I care about there is shot stopping.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    We have upped our game. There are no college players on our team. They're all in pro environments. I feel good about that. And for me, win or lose against France this is the deepest team we've had. Some will argue it's not the best team, but it is the deepest, and that's a testament to the players getting to the level they have. Just consider a couple of examples- Konrad comes off, in comes Uly. Not much drop off, if any. Mendez off, in comes Ledezma. In past cycles if one of our starters came out there would be a collective sigh from fans because they knew that the replacement was a significant dropoff in talent. However, as I previously posted our goal should be France, or comparable teams, where a high percentage of the players are getting 1st team minutes on good teams in good leagues. Unfortunately, we have the added hurdle of not being able to send many players to Europe at 16 because very few of our players can get a Euro passport. That said, we'll still make progress if more players can get to Europe at 18, combined with more players stateside getting consistent 1st minutes in MLS (e.g., Pomykal). Progress has been made, but let's keep building from here.

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, at the end of the day, it will all be Tab's fault.

4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical comment for almost all sports these days. If a team gets a nice W its because of the skill and talent of the players. When they take a L its because the coach isn't any good.

jnielsen, Deeneaus, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    So, I'm leaving the country on Monday night, and not likely to be able to see any of these games.

Trying to set up DVR for two weeks, as I'm assuming the US makes the final:cool:

Situation...

6/4: Both FS2 and Universo show the Japan/Korea game scheduled, which is in fact at the same time as USA/France. WTF.

6/8: Universo has nothing. FS2 blurryvison it is.
    6/11: Universo has a Feminina game. FS2 again.
    6/14: Universo, nope. FS2 again I guess.
    6/15: The championship appears to be back on FS1.

Then I got the two Senior friendlies. Daughter gonna be pissed, where all her shows go?

Winoman repped this.
  6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed the same problem trying to set up my DVR on Fios for Tuesday. Cannot find the USA game anywhere. I cannot imagine FS2 shows the Japan-Korea match over our match unless Fox is making it available somewhere else that I haven’t seen announced yet.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep, the depth will hopefully cascade through the system. Having Tyler Adams and Josh Sargent on this team would transform it. Perhaps not to be as talented as France but the team would certainly be better.

Of course, a lot of countries have this situation -- we aren't unique. It's a good sign in some ways that we aren't sending our very best team. But it will be an even better sign when our some of those guys get pushed to the U20s because senior depth is so strong.

I think it will be a while before a Tyler Adams-caliber player is playing the U20 WC. But perhaps the the 2023 version of Josh Sargent is on this team and not in the Gold Cup.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The game is on, of all places, TNT, as well as Univision. Maybe the HT studio show will have Charles Barkley doing the analysis.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ochoa
    Araujo-Richards-McKenzie-Gloster
    Pomykal-Cerrillo-Servania-Llanez
    Weah-Soto

I'd prefer to win than to try to play football against the best team in the tournament without the players to play football in this game. Thats why I'd use a very defensive lineup.

I'd reward Ochoa for a good performance against Qatar, although I don't think there's much difference between the three keepers. Araujo vs. Dest is very close. I usually would not consider dual-national status, but not giving Araujo any minutes in this tournament is not going to help us in that regard. Given its very close between which of the two should play, I'll go with the guy who could be back next cycle and is a dual-national that could switch to Mexico.

If McKenzie can't play LCB, Keita plays instead. Richards position should not be moved. Cerrillo and Servania is as defensive as it gets in CM right now. Llanez needs to play on the left. Pomykal is rested, bring him back in on the RW. Soto can collect the long balls, and Weah can run at the French defenders with pace.

If we need goals late, we can change the formation and bring Ledezma in as a #10, and KDLF as a winger.

Winoman and Luksarus repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tactical reasons. FC Dallas plays terrible football. Ramos has not tried to play that way all cycle. I would employ some version of it in this game due to the opponent.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't have McKenzie or Pax, Soto or even Weah. Hardly our full "A" team either. Pax is what makes our team click. The one missing now is Cappis who score for us in the final minutes of the game.

12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    We’d likely see Dest before we see Araujo.

Maybe also Ledezma instead of Servania and have only three in the middle with 3 up front.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When McKenzie and Richards paired up, Richard was always the LCB.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think if you don't play Cerrillo and Servania, we are going to give up 3 or 4 goals. There's not enough defensive quality in there against a team that will possess the ball.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Richards is better on the right side. I wouldn't move our best player out of his best position in a game where we need to win and are facing a very good team. The margin between the other two is small enough that the decision on Richards position should come before a decision between who plays next to him.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Richards play LCB for Bayern U19?

frankburgers repped this.
  17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I’m seeing on ussoccer.com that the game will be on FS2

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Anyone who proclaims to know which lineup or tactic will be used by the US is joking himself. Tab is the most inscrutable coach I've ever seen not terrible or stupid just completely non-understandable and his record against good teams reflects that.

SteelyTom, Burr and Thundering165 repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I do believe TV technology has been exported worldwide, however. Just in case.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know. Does he?

21. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Pretty sure the wife and family won't be too excited about me holing up in a hotel room watching kids play soccer on my phone, whilst they figure out how to get from Florence to Rome, see you later guys.

Not according to my guide.

freisland repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What?! Grounds for divorce and adoption. Florence to Rome - you're stuck on the train (by the way, buy the tickets in the states before you go, they're cheaper), sipping basket-wine, eating cheese, watching on your phone. What are you going to do otherwise? Look at the Italian countryside? Yawn...

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're gonna need a VPN to stream it, so you'll need a laptop most likely. And use omio.com for the train, it's not too expensive, fast, and comfortable.

freisland repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a tough life.

I love Rome. Can't wait to go back.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 2011 was worst. Being eliminated by Guatemala in qualifying is pretty bad.

dwsmith1972 repped this.