PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Quarterfinals: USA vs Ecuador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by FirstStar, Jun 4, 2019.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just last year he scored his first goal in years vs Mexico in a game that counted, it may have been his first, I would need to check.
    If Jozy was such a great scorer how come he never beat out Giovinco as the team's top scorer and mind you, Jozy makes a lot more money than the little Italian guy.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not really. The little Italian guy was making a lot.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gio...i57j46j0l4.10882j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #903 50/50 Ball, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Giovinco was the highest paid player in the league. Scroll through the Jozy thread on N&A to see goal highlights. Jozy scored every other game during TFC'S run to the CCL final.

That's not the point of this thread and I don't want to further discuss off topic matters here. It's weird often people randomly and baselessly insult Jozy on this site.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giovinco was the highest paid AFTER his contract was up. Jozy was the highest paid player in that team until then.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Cheers.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not true again.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, absolutely. People spend too much time on statistics in the defending and attacking thirds.

gogorath repped this.
  7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.spotrac.com/mls/toronto-fc/positional/full-cap/2018/

Jozy was third on the team after Seba and Bradley.

This is not arguable.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Korea did a good job on Ecuador. They were good at presenting a double bank above the 18yd line against the Ecuador attack which meant Ecuador never had those long range shots that vexed USA.

Of course, Korea was better in other respects as well. Their cf was physically stronger in hold up than Ecuador defenders and was able to lay off to teammates with advantage.

We would not have won v. Korea.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Not that it necessarily lasts as is... but if we kept this RB/CM formation, I think Pulisic in the more attacking 10, Pomykal in McKennie's current role, McKennie in the Bradley / Trapp role and Adams at the RB/CM would be pretty interesting.

Pomykal seems made for an 8/10 hybrid.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adams as RB is a waste of his talent. I think Adams and McKennie should be the double 8s and either Pulisic or Pax in front of them. The players are there, we just need to simplify the game plan until they get to begin to click.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I get that point of view.

But I'm in no hurry. I think I'm the only one.

I really wanted to see what Adams could do in that role. Unlike a lot of people who seem to read it as "RB" I think it could have been incredibly dynamic and problematic for opponents while giving us an overload with a lower risk of counterattack.

I think the skillsets that come with trying to possess the ball are valuable. Even when you don't dominate possession, you still can take those skills and use them -- the U20 team showed that quite a bit. I'm okay with us sucking for a while to see how that works.

It's dispriting that we can't just have a Gold Cup where most of our players are healthy and we give this a shot.

To my thought, it will be incredibly easy and take very little time to go to a 4-2-3-1 and press and counter. If we lose the Gold Cup, if we flop out of nations league, we can still transition to a press and counter team and qualify.

I just don't think we have to rush that transition. It's there, and it'll be there. And when we have it, we will defend well, and struggle to even get the ball up the pitch. the 10 won't be good enough to break the isolation of being the lone central forward player, so we will score most of our goals off the counter. That's okay, but that team will force a lot of turnovers.

12. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    The result against Ecuador does not look bad now. They were probably really the second best team in the tournament, and unlucky to lose to S. Korea on that quick restart. Of course, the only other loss, to Ukraine looks OK too now.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight, Ramos should have been the interim coach and work his style with the young group that we called for those 12 months. If they clicked then the federation should have given him the job. Hiring Sarachan was a waste of time, he didn't help the program one bit. Now everything was thrown out the window and GB is starting all over again with more vets. The sight of Gonzalez is just a punch in the stomach. GB has no idea what a fine group of youngsters we had in those 12 months.

Patrick167 and Marius Tresor repped this.