2019 Dynamo Attendance Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd year focus group.......I guess that means we 12 and 14 year STH's are being taken for granted :)

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i hope they listen, although sometimes these focus groups are used to measure how well sponsors are recognized by STHs and stuff that is less about what the club can do better

Dynam0 repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This club has habitual practice if not an outright actual disease of overpromising and underdelivering on any promotional thing or “benefits”. Once they get you there the actual product is secondary, which is partially why season ticket sales and attendance has plummeted over the last 3 years regardless of how well the team performs. They’ve simply burned too many customers for too long.

Maybe the new FO team turns it around for 2020

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    They know they are going to get your money Nigel - they aren’t worried about you, but they should be. You were a big public voice in helping them / us get that stadium through city hall. Respect!

5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Plus all the great pics over the years!
    Kudos big guy.

6. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I hope that is not the case.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight’s announced attendance: 15,811.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the best attended so far this season. Don't know how they did it or what kind of marketing filled those extra seats, although I suspect that $15 tickets might have had something to do with it. I had two people sitting next to me that had purchased a 6 game pack and this was one of those games.

They also sent out an email announcing they will be hiring a new VP of ticket sales and serve thanking Travis Watkins for his service - which seems a little weird if he had been involved in the push to get more people to attend this match.

10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe too little, too late. Or he got a job elsewhere like Canetti.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  11. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how involved are the dynos within youth soccer in Houston? Clincs, local leagues, community events, etc. Houston is a big corporate city? many people from other states move there for jobs right? Just wondering.

12. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Well, they host camps quite often. You can see their ads on Facebook often. They've partnered with major youth teams to help ID players. They've also done quite a bit to tick off other youth teams over the years.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall him trying to sell us on that “fore play” or lock-in deal on ticket prices or guaranteed Open Cup tickets - one of Canettis multi-level marketing type of deals to get more revenue in.

No idea if he was good at his job or not

14. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do outreach. The problem is that youth soccer is a big business and the organizations that run soccer programs for teens are in direct competition with the Dynamo Academy.

The demographic that the Dynamo need to be targeting for ticket sales is not Hispanics, not youth soccer, but those people in their 20's and 30's who are involved in the adult rec leagues like GAS. Many of those people have the $$$ to spend.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess there was a season ticket holder call today with the FO referenced in the reddit thread below. Frankly, if the content of the call as related was true it is actually somewhat depressing, like they got in and looked around and now realized they have to manage expectations and rely upon seating tricks to improve the visuals and atmosphere rather than selling tickets. Brener and Canetti really did kill the market I guess

"WiFi is coming. They said the 713 deals did boost total concession sales but didn't get people in earlier like they wanted. Also, they are going to rescale the season ticket price map. Try to get more people on the East side of the stadium and also condense where STHs are sitting to help improve look and atmosphere.

Also, they said with the membership base so low, it's basically impossible to sell enough single game tickets to sell out."

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/brgihp/missed_the_member_call_earlier_today_did_walker/

16. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just curious why MLS wud give TX a third franchise if both current teamus continue to play 1/2 empty staduims and the teams front office is not committed to generating a fan base. MLS inTX reminds me of the majority of MLB owner s who own a team as an investment/ hobby/ tax write-off.
    Good luck dynos.

17. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Because they're unable or unwilling to kick that fraud of an owner in Austin to the curb.

That and there's a ton of money to be made in Texas and are hoping someone will kick things into gear here which will motivate the other two to fix things.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's "Announced" Attendance: 15,710. That is 71% of capacity. Which would imply that nearly 3/4 of the seats were sold or given away. Which visuals don't seem to support unless several thousand no-shows

19. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same ol story

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that hurts is that the Dynamo current stars/best players don't speak much English. When you have to watch Cindy Burbano not only stumble thru an interview but then translate the answer, its a problem.

And before anyone calls that "racist", the Astros have plenty of Hispanic superstars, all of whom speak passable English (Gurriel I think only does translation interviews) and all of who seem popular across all racial and ethnic lines.

I thought winning would matter most but when the FO went to their Central American marketing strategy it exposed a bad flaw in that model, namely that fans in Houston from Mexico and Central American countries are not going to support the Dynamo in meaningful numbers. 13 plus seasons of this poor theory regarding the Mexican Fan Yetti and they still are doing the League Cup nonsense thinking it will matter. Lineups that mirror the Cullen Park sunday afternoon pickup game demographic is not going to attract additional fans.

Then we got Glenn Davis talking about bars (some of whom are probably one of his sponsors) talking about bars turning away fans for the Champions League Final (BTW, a dreadful game) and what a great soccer market this which I think is actually mostly true. But the Dynamo aren't going to make a dent with the Liverpool crowd selling Vera or Tomas Martinez as world-class.

22. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I agree, current foreign stars are great but it was cool having Ching, Rico, and Holden as regulars on our USMNT. World Cup players representing Houston. "Lesser" having Onstad and DeRo playing for Canada. Also, the autograph alley gave us easy access to players. Not having these, I think, hurts a lot.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's zero connection between anyone on the current roster and the fans today. A large part of that is ethnic and cultural because most of the team doesn't speak English good. Boniek has been here what, 6 years? Never heard him speak in English, never seen him on the local news, nothing much in Chronicle on him.

Sure, @webtilton will get on twitter and tweet guys in Spanish like they are linked in to the fanbase but by and large this team may as well train in Colorado and fly in just for the gamedays.

BTW, the first generation Dynamo guys that were bitter from the San Jose move weren't great about being in Houston that first season. Several of them should have been better ambassadors than they were, most eventually warmed up.

These types of things are why Craig Waibel will always be a Dynamo legend.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case of emergency, like your wife gets in a car wreck, any pro athlete living in a new culture should WANT to become base fluent just to protect n sort out the affairs of his family. Then if there is an emergency, his wife does not bleed out in her car cuz the guy on the line is Vietnamese heritage and no speka espanish!
    As an old inner city coach with a team full of Latinos and yet as well Africans, Slavs, Arabs and Oriental boys, English had to be the common tounge. Spanish being the fun, joking, locker room language however.
    He had a way with people for sure. A really likable guy and not bad defender. Scores goals away to Pumas type of Dynamo legend.