2019 Concacaf Champions League

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Gunner, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Looks like the dirty south soccer blog has some news up regarding our first ever CCL fixtures

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Appears the Benz will not be available due to a monster truck show and our home tie will be played in Kennesaw. While playing Costa Ricans outdoors in February will probably be an advantage I would have rather awed them with 40-70K screaming fans

2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should've done Bobby Dodd again.

Guardien repped this.
  3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Very much approve of this idea. wonder if they even asked

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Looks like Doug Roberson of the AJC did some snooping:

Bobby Dodd required manipulation to fit the pitch last season that the club paid to repair (concrete and carpet removal). Doesn't make sense to incur that expense for a one off match.

GSU Stadium (formerly Turner Field, Olympic Stadium). Their carpet has permanent football lines sewn in to the turf

Sun Trust Park: Doug didn't believe the current baseball configuration would accommodate a full sized pitch

So it's off to 5th/3rd which was designed with soccer in mind

5. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Unfortunately that makes it very unappealing to make the drive up to attend. I assume getting tickets is going to be impossible and having to drive through Atlanta to get to the game means the drive would be awful. Hopefully it is on TV!

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will almost certainly not be on TV.

It will, however, probably be on the internet somewhere.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can they not switch the ties so Atlanta plays home first?

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand United asked. Herediano declined. Which makes sense, if you think about it. If you actually want to win, you'd have a better chance forcing your opponent into a secondary stadium with a lot fewer fans in the stands.
    Univision has the Spanish language TV rights in the US. Don't believe anyone has purchased the English language TV rights in the US. Not sure if Fox Sports South would be allowed to broadcast the Atlanta games if they wanted to.

The first leg of the next round happens just a couple days after the Motocross event. If Atlanta makes it, and they get the first game at home, are they gonna have to play that at KSU as well?

Mabee repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I’m not much into taking this tournament seriously. At least not until there is a bonus in salary cap to increase our depth enough that we don’t repeat Toronto’s 2018 season.

What i’d throw out:

GK Guzan
    RB Escobar
    CB LGP
    CB Robinson
    LB Bello
    CM Remedi
    CM Kratz
    RW Tito
    LW Carleton
    AT Barco
    FW Vasquez

10. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA

I'm on the other side of the fence here. This is the most prestigious tournament we'll play in. Allegedly the best of the best in our region. A tournament that has never been won by an MLS side. A chance to make more history.

What will be interesting is to see how FdB rotates the squad between this, the league, and the Cup. We should be seeing a lot more of our depth. While the shield would appear unlikely due to a shift in priorities an expanded playoff format may be helpful

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first round games are before the start of the MLS season, so those will be the first opportunity the coach will get to see his players in a competitive match. There's no reason not to play your starters in those matches. Unless you see the starting 11 get an extended leave and they don't show up at the beginning of preseason camp, I'd expect a first team squad for the first round at least.

MLS really wants a team to win this thing. They want to show they're equal to the Mexican league. While it's arguable how much winning this thing really matters in the grand scheme of things, its pretty much the only way they can prove themselves on the field. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fairly large push from the league to take this seriously, especially to the squads that have the best chance of winning (Atlanta and RBNY, in my opinion).

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, a win in CONCACAF would sway a massive number of Mexican-American fans from LigaMX to MLS. Or at least into dual fandom. Regardless of any payout from TV or purse from the tournament itself, further tapping into the massive Hispanic base would be a big financial boon to the league.

This theory works better if MLS beats America or Chivas in the final.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A trip to the CWC would help visibility and recruiting for the league & the club.

You guys have the best shot to win it (even sans Almiron) since the Beckham/Keane/Donovan Gals or peak RSL (which lost in the Final).

The league gives CCL teams schedule breaks most years. You have a homefield advantage (crowd size + turf). Go for it.

Guardien repped this.
  14. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unlikely to happen, but if a MLS team could be the first team from CONCACAF to make the CWC final ahead of Liga MX, it'd be a feather in the cap for the league.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But it wouldn't be MLS v. Liga MX. It'd be AUFC v. America or Chivas.

A massive number? I don't think it'll do that. How many fans of this game actually care who wins a tournament if it isn't their club? I mean, I won't be cheering for --or against-- New York RB if we get put out before they do. I'll just get ready for the 2019 season. Other thing is, Atlanta already has a large Latino following, and so do the clubs out West. If what you say DID happen, sure, it absolutely would help.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I for one would like to see an MLS squad win this thing, since the league never has.