2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Yes, there is a very real physical difference between men and women. It's nature...

But this conversation is about tactics. Not about how fast you can run or how high you can jump.

The comment that started this was that the women's game cant be at a high level tactically because... Women...

BrianLBI, AndyMead, GunnerJacket and 6 others repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go ahead and be the pedant: do you mean professional men's player? B/c otherwise, it's either wrong (plenty of professional women's players out there, primarily in the US and Europe) or so obviously right as to be pointless (if you're referring to all women, then sure, just as 99% of us humans in general can't hold a candle to professional athletes in their discipline).

GunnerJacket and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jazzy... shut up.

Crooked, soccersubjectively and JasonMa repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think this is the gotcha you’ve made it out to be. If you’d asked me ten minutes ago, I would have said gengenpress was something they used on an assembly line in a GM plant.

Do you ever do anything in this forum besides antagonize?

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard of gegenpress and I watched my live game of soccer in 1973 and have watched over professional 500 matches live in 70+ grounds/stadiums.

It's probably because I don't give a crap about Liverpool or the Premier League, even though I'm from a long line of scousers.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what Jazzy is trying to say is that if you aren't watching Top 4, exclusively, in England you aren't a true soccer fan.

So typical BS.

An Unpaved Road and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now here’s a valuable, respectful and professional contribution from a big soccer staff member. Does telling posters to “shut up” fall within your job description?

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is theoretically possible but unlikely as a practical matter because those coaches with top talent will go where the money, prestige, and the highest level of performance lives: that’s the men’s game.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to avoid using official mod language to tell you that if you keep trolling a news thread with sexist, Off-topic nonsense that you’re going to wind up shut out of this thread. But if that’s what you prefer...

JasonMa and 007Spartan repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. If your argument was true, top coaches would only coach top national teams and clubs, and Martino wouldn't have gone from Argentina to Atlanta, not to mention Beckham, Henry, Rooney, etc. in MLS. Even if tactics and training are unlikely to be improved by women's clubs, the chance isn't 0, and if you keep in mind how many men's clubs and women's clubs there are, there could be more innovation by men's clubs even if the average women's club was more likely to innovate than the average men's club.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you name a single top level men’s coach who has transitioned to the women’s game? Or vice verse? That’s not a rhetorical question— I’m truly interested if it’s ever happened. There’s an interesting discussion to be had here, but I think it can happen without slanderous accusations of sexism.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #387 Jazzy Altidore, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    there’s literally nothing sexist about what I said. It is not sexist to say that women’s soccer is generally at a lower standard across the bored. There’s plenty of objective evidence to support that from talent of players and coaches to money investment. You may disagree that conclusion but back it up with argument instead of ideological slander.

And plenty others are in the off topic discussion so chastiSe everyone—not just me who undermines your ideology.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok guys, we’re done with this now.

And I do mean NOW. This is the Champions League thread.

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jahr Null

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Omid Namazi, or does he not rate in your book because he also coached American indoor soccer.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, really... debate this somewhere else. MLS Forum, Champions League thread.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, will Kashima Antlers repeat next year?

Oh, only CONCACAF CL here?

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would-be opponents for the Crew in 2020/21 at CWC, I could hear more.

Seriously, though, I think we are gonna win this thing this year. TFC was close. RSL was close a few years back. LAG had a real shot long ago and again 5 years or so ago. Time for another MLS team to be Kings if Concacaf.

I think Atlanta has a real shot. NYRB and SKC are solid. TFC still have some juice with an improved D. And Houston can counter. Vamos MLS.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo signed a Slovenian National Team CB and one of his first acts for the team will be to play in Guatemala. This should be fun.

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure we can counter with the best of them. Elis and Manotas are about as dangerous as they come outside Mexico. Problem is our defense can't stop a slight breeze from knocking the ball past the line.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suddenly picturing a player getting down on his knees at the opening kickoff and blowing the ball forward. *

*Obviously, this would not constitute a legal goal, as a kickoff is not legal until the ball is KICKED and moves. Thank you.

El Naranja repped this.
  22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAG didn't have a real shot recently. In 2016-2017, FC Dallas lost the Semifinal aggregate 4-3 to Pachuca, who won the Final aggregate 2-1 over Tigres. All of the 2015-2016 Semifinalists were Mexican. In 2014-2015, Montreal got a 1-1 draw at Club America in the first leg of the Final before losing 4-2 at home. 2013-2014 had no MLS Semifinalists. In the Quarterfinals, San Jose got a 1-1 draw hosting Toluca and a 1-1 draw at Toluca with Toluca winning penalty kicks, and Toluca was the 1 seed and San Jose was the 8 seed. 2012-2013 had the Semifinal aggregates be Santos Laguna 2-1 over Seattle and Monterrey 3-1 over LAG, so LAG wasn't the best MLS club if you go by aggregate margin of defeat. In 2011-2012, Toronto was the only Semifinalist from MLS, and they lost the aggregate 7-3. 2010-2011 was when RSL lost the Final.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were the 2018 Red Bulls and KC better than in 2016? I think so. But the Red Bulls will miss Adams.

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't want to be the Negative Nancy as I am an ATL fan but just going by what I have seen so far, MLS teams don't seem to have a chance. So far ATL has only added Shea (sigh) and have yet to announce Pity Martinez and the sale of Almiron. While good grab in regards to Pity, it doesn't compare to what Monterrey upgraded with. SKC is on a worst boat. I originally thought they could have a chance against Toluca but same thing, Toluca did lose some key players but upgraded with better ones. SKC on the other hand lost players and I haven't heard of them getting some good quality players that could make a difference. TFC is still a mystery as to what team will show up, the 2018 CCL or the 2018 MLS regular season team. I will sound like a broken record but......the salary cap hurts MLS teams in these kind of tournaments. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see for a change an MLS team to win, but based on players acquired during the off season I see that difficult.

TOAzer repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I still think Atlanta has a chance against anyone. Also, if Almiron is not yet sold, won't he play?