2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2019 CONCACAF Champions League
    Semifinals
    Home team first, times are ET

First Leg
    Wednesday, April 3
    Tigres UANL (MEX) v. Santos Laguna (MEX) 10:00 pm

Thursday, April 4
    CF Monterrey (MEX) v. Sporting Kansas City (USA) 10:00 pm

Second Leg
    Wednesday, April 10

Santos Laguna (MEX) v. Tigres UANL (MEX) 8:00 pm

Thursday, April 11
    Sporting Kansas City (USA) v. CF Monterrey (MEX) 9:00 pm

The Finals start on April 24.

DGreat and AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to figure out if i should I tune in to watch Tigres vs Santos Laguna?

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    No

4. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I’m an MLS snob, so no.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sure, why not? But it's in April so you have plenty of time to ponder it.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The semis are next week-- it goes against all common sense, but i am actually looking forward to this. Logic would seem to dictate that the most likely outcome is to expect a beatdown of Sporting KC--but i find myself having hope that MLS's elegant playing team can somehow find a way through to the final.

Sachsen and TOAzer repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So, imagine the CCL starts this week - I have a hard time picturing TFC, in the form they are in losing 4-0 in Panama!

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Perfectly sensical. KC swept aside a Liga MX team already. They are facing a much tougher one now, but you can't say they are leagues apart any more.

9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    MLS teams are at an obvious disadvantage by the timing. Any neutral with a reasonable understanding of the tournament and intellect realizes this. That said the Toronto that played on Friday would have a challenge as they are not very deep and they couldn't field the same team in both MLS and CCL each game.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Show me the data that says that MLS teams perform worse in the spring knockouts against Liga MX opponents versus the old fall group stages.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Scandinavian teams also have to play in European competition during their pre-season. Funny thing, never read them complain about it. They know they lose because they're just not good enough.

SixKick and Robert Borden repped this.
  12. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm assuming you are not a troll and instead like most people, don't spend a lot of time canalizing data. The problem is that your data set doesn't exist. It like comparing how u18 players did in a scrimmage against U15 players in one format and then trying to compare how those same individuals compared under a completely completely different format. Whatever influence to format had, and it can considerable, would be dwarfed by the fact that it was no longer a competition of boys against men.

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    • Unnecessary.
    More likely a troll as few that post on boards like this are so mentally deficient they cannot understand the difference between the comparisons.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon man, no need for the personal attacks. I happen to agree that playing straight out of preseason must have some negative impact. But neither of those posters are "trolls" and discussion should not be centered around name-calling.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So you have no evidence to support your claim. Cool. Thanks for your contribution to this enlightening conversation.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It bothers me when people whine and create excuses. Rather than doing it, think: why do we have FIVE MLS teams in a competition where Liga MX, that wins it every year, has only four?

Fine, Canada needs to send a team. Then reduce the MLS clubs to three. In no other place you have a league with MLS record of never winning the competition in recent memory sending more teams than a league that keeps winning it.

Also, if we start talking of unfairness, how about the fact that the Gold Cup is always played in the USA? Everybody else has to travel, make arrangements, get the proper visas and paperwork. We don't. No other confederation offers such level of comfort cycle after cycle to a single team.

LaMascara, AlbertCamus and bemore_ repped this.
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your complaint isn’t valid. CCL isn’t broken up by league, it is broken up by country. MLS just has the benefit of having teams in Canada and the US. In fact, only three of the 5 spots you are complaining about are via league play, it just happens that MLS teams are better than the lower division opponents in USOC and CanC.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just think if we had a coefficient like UEFA. Remember that the way a club gets to the Europa or the Champions does not matter: they may get there through league play, or through cup play.

What matters is, since it's a continental competition to decide the best of the best, to have as many good clubs as possible. Same idea in South America, where more teams from Brazil and Argentina are given berths to the Libertadores, since clubs from those two countries have won the competition much more often than anyone else.

So, even if the competition were broken up by country, there's no way to excuse the USA having four spots, the same as Mexico. Out of 20 finalists in the Champions League era, 17 have come from MX, and all 10 winners as well. Were we to apply the same principles applied everywhere else, we'd have many more MX clubs participating than anyone else.

If people are going to complain about being off-season at the start, something that not only happens with us, it also happens in UEFA with the Scandinavian teams, in Asia with the J-League, K-League & CSL (all three start in March, the playoffs are in January and the group stage starts in February; the A-league, by contrast, is in mid-season then), then they should consider this as a form of compensation: we got more clubs in than we deserve.

SixKick and bemore_ repped this.
  19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Why does CONCACAF get 3.5 World Cup spots when the region has never had a winner? Probably because a World Cup is not really a World Cup if it's only European and South American countries. That said I'd not be bothered if MLS lost a CCL spot or two. Although I'm not concerned about being like other confederations just because.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well, if kc needed a confidence boost before their big match, they just got it!

Paul Calixte repped this.
  21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't get the argument that the timing of having preseason MLS teams vs. Liga MX teams in midseason play doesn't matter. It makes absolutely no sense. Of course it matters. Why do teams play preseason games and have preseason camps? Why not just start the season at day 1?

Stupid_American and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of course it matters but complaining about it is like complaining about the climate: USA is a colder country in the region, hence no games until March.

Same for Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Japan, South Korea, etc. At some point, you just go, "well, that's the way it is, time to move on."

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If it mattered so much, MLS teams would get better results as they progressed through the tournament. Or, alternatively, they would have gotten better results in the group stages that were in MLS midseason and Liga MX early/preseason. Neither of those are true.

MLS teams are worse than Liga MX teams because the way they spend on players is crazy inefficient because of MLS's stupid salary rules, and because American domestic depth players are worse than Mexican domestic depth players.

The schedule is an extremely lazy excuse that explains maybe 5-10% of the league quality difference, but ignores the much more important factors.

Paul Calixte, EvanJ, SixKick and 4 others repped this.
  24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first paragraph kinda of lost me. It's March and MLS just started and the CL is already at the semifinals. It will be over well before MLS teams hit midseason. The MLS primary transfer window is still open.

You raise some valid issues however my point still stands that MLS teams are at a competitive disadvantage by coming into the business end of the CL during preseason.

I do agree it's not really worth complaining about it. It's a rather easy tournament to ignore.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't help you understand that.

Prove it with numbers. Your point is falling over drunk; it isn't standing at all.

I never said anything of the sort.