2019 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    They never will, because it’s been monetized.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.flashscore.com/match/GKxUl5Eg/?detail_refresh=1#match-statistics says SKC has 13 shots on goal, 14 shots not on goal (off target or blocked), and 13 corner kicks. I wonder if an MLS club had ever had at least 13 of all three of those before.

Of the four possible combinations of clubs in the Final, if it's Monterrey vs. Santos, Santos will host the second leg. Monterrey has 7 points and can't end the Semifinals with more than 13. Santos has 12 points and will have 14 if they advance with 2 draws and at least 15 if they advance with at least one win. Here's what SKC needs to host the second leg of the Final:

1. Win both and Tigres vs. Santos has two draws and Santos advances

2. Win and draw and Tigres vs. Santos has two draws and Tigres advances

3. Win both or win and draw and Tigres advances with a win and a draw

4. Win both or win and draw and Tigres advances with a win and a loss

5. Win both and Santos advances with a win and a loss and SKC makes up a ton of goal differential on Santos

6. Win and lose and Tigres advances with a win and loss and SKC's Semifinal goal differential is at least as good as Tigres or is 1 worse than Tigres and SKC wins a later tiebreaker

7. Draw both and Tigres draws both and advances

I hope I did that right.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet they were still even pretty deep into leg 2.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not what I meant. Santos Laguna, Monterrey and Tigres are much better teams than Toluca

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And Kansas City has gone from 0 to 6 competitive games under their belt, too.

Sure, Monterrey is the favorite, but there is definitely "hope" - which was what the poster that started this conversation said that there was definitely none of.

eltapatio, asoc, TheJoeGreene and 4 others repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The only surprise for me is that Independiente managed not to get a second yellow for all the time-wasting.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fitting 80's tribute to SKC's win tonight after it appeared they would lose and they turned things around:

Salvadanish repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    On the whole, I thought that Aguilar did an excellent job with the whistle, and both linesmen made some really tight calls and non-calls.

That's why their one of the top crews in CONCACAF.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you aren't a forum regular, and you see people celebrating a win and decide "hey, I am going to go in there and tell the people who don't know me that their league blows" - that's trolling. True or not. Just like a non-fan of Bayern Munich showing up in their forum on Wednesday to tell them their team sucked on the day (they really did) would be trolling, or a BSMX fan coming to the US Men's forum after a win to point out some true facts about their relative positions would be trolling.

10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are right! Toluca is actually a better team. Has won more titles than the other three.

TheJoeGreene, JayRockers! and jared9999 repped this.
  11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    SKC victory and no thread derail related to Canadian soccer. A good night.

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I’m really starting to like this Borath cat.

The dude is a beast in the air and has a really nasty mean streak.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They literally are in the same league.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ugh this year. Not Historically

beat junky and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  15. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    This game pretty much played out the way I wrote it would. Basically with a better field, the time they had to close down wouldn't be there and KC would pound and win. I have to say I thought Independiente would be better and I never would have imagined KC would be so profligate in front of goal. Anyone now where you can find the expected goals for that game? It had to be close to double figures.

I also have to say the reactions to this tournament are comical. With the exception of KC showing up in mid-season form (had no idea they were sleeping in Oxygen tents for a month) and Toronto playing so dreadfully bad, things are going as expected. MLS and LigaMx are roughly comparable. MLS teams are in pre-season and it often shows. Big LigaMx clubs have more depth and are more consistent, while MLS teams like Toronto and Atlanta can look like Concacaf beaters one season then become below average MLS teams 4 months later. Despite this MLS/LigaMx are dead even over the last two seasons in CCL play.

KC has roughly a 25% chance to win the championship. Whether they win or not will depend largely on the random things that happen in soccer games, not because of any large difference between them and whatever team they play. Talking about the pre-TAM/GAM/DTAM era MLS competitiveness is like someone worrying about KC's attendance two years after they moved out of Community America Ballpark based on how many empty seats there were in games at Arrowhead.

superdave and USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Agreed, that song has got to go. But as a compromise, I wouldn't mind it rotated with the Spanish version and the Black Anthem. I discussed this in Politics, I'll link you to the discussion if you'd like.
    Hey guru, do you happen to know what's the record for most shots on goal in a losing effort? Non-friendly and FA Cup games.
    There's more hope in this sport than any other due to how antifootball can level things up, despite skill difference.

I'd put Mountking at a 2-1 favorite, however, don't know if bwin agrees

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the "solution" to a national anthem is to be found in racist anthems? Got it.
    With Politics it is deja vu all over again.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If they sucked this year that is their problem. They bought players to prepare for both tournaments it just didn't workout. Just like it was not Independiente's problem that TFC sucked this year.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, from the 10m to about 35m mark I was raising my eyebrows quite a bit. I mean forget blowing the whistle, he wasn't even TALKING to players or indicating AT ALL that some of the stuff going on was borderline or just "letting the game find its feet early on" allowances. Because in that stretch there was A LOT that should have had more attention than the "outstretch arm to play on/advantage' ...

It rounded out and was a fine called game in the end ... but it wasn't trending that way early

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So Sporting is 2 trips to Monterey away from winning the CCL.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Santos is gonna tigres

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there will be - presumably the last edition under the current format. Infantino mentioned it in today's press conference, saying that the host will be chosen soon.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hear Kansas City is nice in December.

TOAzer and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    He's been saying that for 6+ months. The rumors of it being China have been going around since then, yet no announcement yet.