2019 Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 15, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1165498818357411840 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and Andy126 repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time, this has been a "done deal" for at least 2 months

3. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #178 Andy126, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Would love to get the explanation (that we’ll never get) about the specifics surrounding the timing......10:30pm on a Saturday evening on the immediate cusp of a sh*t loss to your biggest rival seems.....odd for a professional sports team that has long identified their replacement Manager to take. Weird time to “pull the trigger.”

COMtnGuy, SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not a lot of positive reaction on Twitter to the impending hire by #Rapids96 of Fraser.

I find the timing very curious. Does the loss at FSL make it easier for the RFO to pull the trigger at this time?

Andy126 repped this.
  5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We had the discussion last night at frolic. (At least my table did). CC has done great, but still some learning. Like not using subs last night and losing control of the game. I do hope they take good care of CC as I do think he is decent now and going to be good.

Denver post direct link: Rapids to name Robin Fraser next head coach, source says https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/24/rapids-hire-robin-fraser/

Rod

TheWarmBurger, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume its damage control on what is now a fully lost season. If Casey had won last night, even only by 1 goal (and thus lost the Cup) they still get to show improvement and let Fraser wait until the end of the season. A poorly managed game against our rival (again) with a last minute meltdown (again) probably means they want to change the narrative.

COMtnGuy, MrPerfectNot, Rod1916 and 5 others repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Took the words right out of my mouth. Smells like a cover your ass moment. Fraser's hiring is the worst kept secret but I would love the back story on why it took so long.

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Centennial and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    When I got his autograph at the team of the Century event I thanked him for coming (from L.A. iirc -- long time ago) and he said "I always enjoy coming back here" I'm hoping this is his chance to prove that. Best of luck, you'll need it*. #RapidsWay

*As has been discussed often it is a very opportune time to make an impact with contracts clearing and cap space appearing.

COMtnGuy, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Leaving aside the timing of the announcement, I have an open mind I guess. Interesting that he has never played nor coached outside of North America. I think it has showed that Casey Connor lacked experience so they needed to hire someone, although I think they were tempted to promote CC, probably because that option would be cheap. This to me seems like a cheap option also, and that is the Rapids. Anyway, maybe Fraser has learned a lot and will be successful.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A quick pat on the back to Connor Casey. Did his coaching bump end a few weeks ago? Yes. Dead, buried and set on fire. But when he came in, the team was an embarrassment to soccer. No one could have come into a messier situation. But Casey hung in there, was unflinching, and is handing over the reins to Fraser with the team in much better shape than he got it. Overall, I'd say Casey did a decent job.

13. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s a chickenshit move that’s demeaning to the current Mgr who was thrust into the role as a result of RFO’s previous poor decisions. Not at all surprising imo.

14. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    Robin's history in Colorado is deeper than just the 2001-2003 stint with the Rapids - he was a key member of the Foxes in the years before '96. Good guy.

Andy126, Centennial and Stuart95 repped this.
  15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm good with Fraser. After the Hudson experience, I want a coach that understands the league and doesn't think he's smarter than everyone else and brings in middling Championship-level players.

Now if they announce Casey as the new head coach of the Switchbacks, that would be great (it also might explain the timing of the announcement since their season ended yesterday).

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy, Centennial and 2 others repped this.
  16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations or condolences or both to Robin Fraser. It's a bit like being named captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Andy126 repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 Quinn 33, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Pretty stupid timing to be honest. I think the cynical theory that the announcement was done as damage control after completely embarrassing themselves (as usual) against Salt Lake is probably correct.

But why wasn't this done several months ago? Then Fraser could have gotten a good feel for the squad and made some moves during the summer window. Instead, we do this now and that club is now forced to put all their eggs in the winter window basket. It makes zero sense to handicap yourself like that, particularly given Padraig's mediocre track record.

2020 is allegedly supposed to be the year where everything comes together. Padraig has been selling that line pretty hard. I wonder how quickly the club will shift the goalposts when it becomes obvious they couldn't fix this team in one off-season.

I don't envy Fraser. He has a really bad job.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I find it curious that many wanted CC to get the head coaching job. Yet with all the openings, you never hear his name in the mix. Makes me think the rest of the league is of a similar mindset to me - CC is a good coach that needs more experience.

I am hoping CC stays on with the Rapids, the way we work he will get another shot at head coach sooner rather than later.

(Note: I am completely OK with RF coming on board. God help me now, but I think he may be the best we can get.)

20. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I’m fine with Fraser getting the role - I hope that they did right by Casey with the hiring of Fraser because CC really did breath some life into the dumpster fire that the team had become and pulled us from an epic crap show on course to not just surpass, but wreck many of the worst-ever records that we used to make fun of Chivas for (yes, I know Fraser’s coaching history).

For what it’s worth, I have no idea why Fraser took on this task...our ownership and senior leadership has not proven that they can or have an interest in actually building sustained competitive teams. I don’t think Padraig is awful, though I think he has been hit and miss, but this team is being held back. Under Hudson, clearly the coaching was a huge part of it, but without Hudson, the long term problems of our ownership still remain. There is a reason why we seem to lurch from former Rapids player to former Rapids player of late. I’m sure that the competition to be the next Rapids coach was not the most expansive list of people.

So thanks CC, you made me actually care about this season after that dumpster fire of a start. Good luck Robin Fraser, one hell of a nice guy, you are definitely going to need it. As my grandfather used to say though, I hope for the best and expect the worst - the life all Rapids fans are familiar with.

Andy126, Centennial and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Twice, since he also was at Chivas USA.

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wanted someone with a better resume than Fraser, but I guess this is the Rapids and I should not expect much.

I have no idea why I should think Fraser will be good. Normally I'd have to trust the people who hired him but they also hired Hudson.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    One could also ask, if Robin Fraser is so good, why has he not managed since 2012?

Should the Rapids have been more ambitious than either Fraser or Casey?

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, Fraser has not managed since 2012. Maybe there weren't many offers? Though maybe it's also Mike Munchak-like, one of those tweets above mentioned that Fraser has two daughters living in the area.

The 2020 Rapids are not totally undesirable with the amount of money freeing up and the recovery under Casey showing it's a non-horrible roster, lots of young players who have a chance to get better.

Rod1916 repped this.
  25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fraser is a reasonable choice all things considered, but I'm a bit skeptical.

In any case, I hope Casey stays in the organization.