2019 Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, May 15, 2019.

1. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Was thinking the same thing about the timing. Given the current run of form and the upcoming break, doesn’t make as much sense to introduce that kind of distraction mid-week/few days before a home game.

If we hear crickets for the next two weeks, I think that’ll raise some eyebrows for sure.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. jrowe13

jrowe13 Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Was talking to my ticket rep at the STH event. He said Smith had told them after Hudson was shown the door that they had a coach in mind and hoped to have him in place by Memorial day. Obviously that did not happen. He also seemed to think Fraser was not the one they were going with but they did intend to hire someone this season.

Andy126 repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually guys..... the RFO are waiting. They are waiting on me. All of next week in Arvada I am completing the instructional phase for my USSF - C License. Then I have to complete the developmental and evaluation phases in August. Once that's in hand I will be named as the Rapid's manager. So be patient. I'm coming. It just might take longer than expected. CC might be the interim until the end of the season. :D :)

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that where they teach you to never change formations regardless of players you have Round peg to square hole for $100 Alex)? ;)

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh. That should be painfully obvious. How do you think great coaches - cough cough - are made? Out of stubbornness :)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    With every Rapids victory and no word word on new coach, I wonder how hard it will get to not hire Casey?

I'm not ready to endorse him, but boy is he building a case for himself.

Of course the next test comes this Wednesday in the Open Cup 4th round. How motivated will the Rapids be for a USL side? What type of selections and tactics will CC employ? Who gets rested and who gets a chance to play that otherwise hasn't?

Sal Paradise and Andy126 repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    With the USOC being our best (only realistically) chance for hardware I'm sure they're calling up all of the eligible academy players they can.
    Please. Make. Me. Wrong!

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports are that Cinci has narrowed their list to three, Tab Ramos, Alan Pardew, and former Rapids Aitor Karanka. I'll pass on the first two but I'll throw something if Karanka ends up with a non-Rapids MLS job.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I must admit that I thought Karanka was a bit of a reach for the Rapids or most any other MLS side. If he would seriously consider Cincinnati then it would seem that the Rapids could as well. I don't know what kind of money it would take, but he's been in Denver before and would have a lot of opportunity to work with player acquisition in the near term.

Question, does his preferred style of play fit with the attacking, optimistic soccer that now seems to be taking place?

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    From https://en.as.com/en/2019/06/23/football/1561245706_280152.html:

Karanka is also a candidate to coach FC Cincinnati after parting company with Nottingham Forest; he is familiar with the American league as he used to play for the Colorado Rapids but also has a lot of experience on the managerial side after being assistant coach to José Mourinho at Real Madrid and manager of Middlesbrough.

Karanka is expected to have talks with the MLS team in the coming weeks, though Pardew is the front-runner for the vacant Cincinnati job.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy126 repped this.
  13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle shouldn't - and they know it - but if they, for some unfathomable reason, would do so - I would not shed a tear as it would save the Rapids some coaching salary $$.

And as an Everton fan, if AH is leading Newcastle, I'll have even more reason to cheer on my Blues (as if I needed more reason!)

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Abbie Mood sets the record straight on Hudson’s time in Colorado:

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am wondering if we should let the narrative go so that he is picked up somewhere. Bad for wherever he is picked up, but then we wouldn't be sending him checks anymore....

rod.

JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go girl! Tell it like it is. Glad that she went to bar and set the record straight. There is a decent amount of Twitter bashing, from the Brits, throwing everything on the Rapids for his failure. It's spin job. I get it. They, too, hype players and managers alike even though they don't like to admit it.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I can't say much about Casey as the Rapids will have a much better way of knowing what's going on since they can see how he's coaching the team.

My one word of caution though: I remember the last time the club let a coach go because the guy they had was good but not great, didn't fit with the grand interlinked marketing and on-field aspirations of the club.

You can find great coaches, but we also sure as hell know know you can find bad coaches, and the guy leading the search hired one of the worst managers ever.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your first paragraph sounds like Smith but your second doesn't sound like Pareja.

19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Casey has to be doing something right. But I’m concerned part of this streak is because the players are relieved that Hudson is gone. Something like, “How does your hand feel?” “Great.” “How come?” “I stopped hitting it with a hammer.”

Maybe those who understand soccer strategy better than I do will know whether Casey’s moves have made a significant difference. And I don’t underestimate the difference Abu has made.

20. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just imagine how good Casey would be if he watched soccer games in his spare time. :rolleyes:

COMtnGuy and _Ace_ repped this.
  21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My thoughts on Casey:

I am scared. We have been burned too many times on a new coach, which he would be. I get that he has a bit more experience than the others, but it still feels risky.

But dangit, he is really making his case. I wonder if Frasier may be playing the Rapids off TFC for a better contract/etc. At first little risk since it was well known CC wasn't going to be the guy. With every win/tie, CC is taking the job. Which makes Frasier's tactics a problem for him. Frasier may find the job is no longer offered because CC took it from him. (lots of conjecture on the Frasier situation here, it could just as easy be that the Rapids have a contract in place and can't move on it until the season is over).

So, I am still not on the "CC for coach now" bandwagon. I am solidly on the "he is earning more time and if a decent run continues he will take the job" bandwagon.

Note: I don't expect him to win/tie all of the remaining games. A playoff pace for the rest of the season would be enough. Meaning we may not make the playoffs due to Hudson's start, but would have made it had CC kept that pace for the entire season.

rod.

wormhole and Andy126 repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psst. No i in Fraser.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been as anti "give Casey the job right now" as anyone. We just shut out LAFC and beat them on a Danny Wilson goal though. If Padraig announces Casey has the full time job on Monday I'd find it hard to argue against ti right now. :D

TheWarmBurger and Andy126 repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    ? We've had worse managers than Pareja. Much worse, even if you account for Pareja leaving for Dallas.

If we manage to hire a coach who is all that we want, it's very likely he'd leave for something better fairly quickly.