2019 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Exactly. People are rooting for and celebrating a youngsters struggles. All for a “gotcha” moment on another poster. It just seems sad

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There is a whole Andrew Carleton thread.

He is not a breakout player at this time. I hope he is a candidate soon. But on to other players?

frankburgers and DHC1 repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there a link to the interview somewhere easily accessible? I can't find it anywhere.

4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it also falls along with people dividing into camps for no good reason. I believe this player will be great so I am supporting him, and it reflects on me if he doesn't reach his potential. or conversely, I don't support this person. We also see people take positions on MLS or YAs, etc. Franky I hope they all reach their potential but find it silly in regards to a national team to root for specific players to develop to make it there. I think the U.S. is the only country where I have really witnessed this phenomenon.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    thesportsinquirer.net and go to Friday’s comments from de Boer.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I will say, if I am considered one of those considered “rooting for and celebrating a youngsters struggles” that I am certainly not rooting for or celebrating his struggles for a gotcha moment.

Look, I’m a US fan, and I’m an Atlanta fan; I have every reason to root for Andrew Carleton. I am hoping he makes it and takes his game to a whole new level. I’m rooting for that and will gladly celebrate if he ever does do that.

But, from what I’ve seen, he’s been overhyped and he’s under-delivered. Yeah, he’s young... but he’s about to be 19, and there aren’t any signs yet that he’s an elite 19 year old prospect.

It’s fair to be worried about a player whom two renowned names in world soccer say he has problems with professionalism. Yeah, in the real world, 18/19 years old is still a punk kid. But in the soccer world, we need to remember that 30 is old. In other words, by 18-19, in soccer, you should be showing some potential by this point. Likewise, I’m worried that he’s not very athletic. Sure, a person can mature, but it’s hard to become more athletic. The fact is that he’s a weakling and he’s slow. I don’t see how he gets over that. And, there are going to be very few top level winger/attack mids in the world who lack professionalism and are slow and weak.

That said, I’d LOVE to be wrong.

Dervos repped this.
  7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I am trying to side with you if facts don't prove it then you have to go with the otherside and said the facts are lies and with the facts coming from quotes and concrete situations the only way to combat that is straight conspiracy that the quotes/facts are based on lies created by some outside force nobody knows about. Its down to the jedi force or the deep state at this point holding him back unless you feel atlanta united is deliberately holding him back because they don't want to make the millions that would come with the next messi being on their club.

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    don't change the subject then we are trying to talk about carleton and the carleton defenders try to switch the topic from carleton to the posters and are somehow now trying to make people repeating facts is somehow bashing a kid to a point that is beyond acceptable.

9. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Is English your first language? That first sentence is a doozy.

You’re missing my point. (More likely willfully ignoring it). My point is that Carleton seems to be the one youth player that people (specifically here) enjoy seeing fail. Doesn’t really have anything to do with what you’re rambling about. Now let’s change the subject, as @Patrick167 pointed out he is not a candidate for this thread as it stands.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this is again the point you are changing the target as facts are disproving ur theory. nobody is enjoying anyone failing you are personally hurt that facts have repeatedly proved you wrong about the whole did nothing wrong angle people were trying to push.

what I am talking about is when people mentioned his issues last year before the final people like you said it was all lies and rumors...then he got suspended and people like you said it didnt matter because we didnt have the 'details' and now his new coach who wasn't even a part of the club has issues with him its now the clubs fault and he needs to get away from the club and on top of that the problem is now people are 'enjoying' watching the kid fail...get real.

Its not hard to see how the kid is struggling with the idea that he is his problem when he reads this board(because he does) and reads his twitter mentions(which he does because he literally retweets everything positive) that he thinks its everyone else and he should just keep doing what he is doing because everyone else is a hater because they are telling the truth and his coaches/club are telling him to clean up his act...his real fans(like you) know he is right and shouldn't change anything for anyone.

11. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    You say I'm moving the target

All I have said is posters here like to tee off on carelton. My target has not changed from that

"people like you said its all lies and rumors"
    instead of engaging my arguments you engage arguments others have made. I never called anything "lies"

"its now the clubs fault and he needs to get away from the club"
    Another failed attempt to quote me, never said it.

"his real fans(like you) know he is right and shouldn't change anything for anyone."
    Never said he shouldn't change. Never said what he is doing is right

I'm going to go ahead and put you on ignore. I disagree with a lot of people here. But at least those people try and argue with me instead of someone else entirely. You are an embarrassment. Enjoy screaming at strawmen you clown.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hey, how about the US U17s making the final of the CONCACAF Championships!? :)

If the US beats Mexico in that game......................we will simultaneously hold the CONCACAF U17, CONCACAF U20, and Gold Cup titles for the first time.

Ricardo Pepi is probably a year away from having his hype train go to full speed on a national level. He's 16, and is currently the leading scorer in USL League One. Had a brace yesterday for the US U17s. He's from El Paso originally, but has come out of the FCD academy (another one).

Oh, and Gio Reyna (he of Borrusia Dortmund) is one hell of a free kick taker. Another one yesterday for the US U17s against Canada.

wrench, btlove and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't Pepi probably be on a first team contract at this point? I wonder if there's a story there considering signing Sealy to a Dallas contract and Pepi to a NTXSC contract looks even weirder at this point.

14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    please take this to the andrew carleton thread. itt discussions are about breakout youngsters.

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    moving target

started with
    -kids done nothing wrong all of the issues are rumors despite what he's put out on social media

he then gets suspended for the biggest match of his club career(and the parade after)
    -we don't know what he got suspended for it could've been anything and likely was a one time thing so he is still ok

new coach comes out and says he lacks what it take to be a professional at this point and needs to improve
    -after at one point saying there was no actual evidence of this quote being accurate(forgeting that he was suspended of course)

then we have no shifted to the issue is thie kid or his mistakes..its people on this board being happy about his issues lol. You have moved the target so many times and so far away from the issues that its not even about the kid...its about the posters on a message board.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #391 Clint Eastwood, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    WHen he signed he was only 15. So I suspect that was a bridging short-term deal to a first team contract. Probably a really short term contract. Maybe to keep Liga MX clubs at bay :) [He's played for Mexico on the youth levels as well.]

Sometimes this is all about leverage. Sealy was on trial/training in Spain (at Villarreal) prior to signing his MLS deal. There was a lot of debate about whether he'd be eligible to move to Spain at 16. Either way, maybe that's what led FCD to offer a better deal.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/dante-sealy-at-villarreal.2086001/

There was a lot of pomp and circumstance around Pepi being the FIRST NTX signing. It wouldn't surprise me if he's on a higher salary as an NTX player than Sealy is as an MLS player.

FCD would really like to establish that DA to NTX to FCD pathway in the way that NYRB has. They're probably hoping Pepi will be the poster child as Tyler Adams has been for NYRB. Their first team developmental roster slots (kids on homegrown contracts as well as GenAds) are actually full. Right now, they can't actually sign any more academy kids to MLS contracts unless others leave. They can sign them to short-term USL deals until the MLS roster rule shenanigans permit them to be "promoted" to the first team. I won't be surprised to see that happen over the course of the season allowing Pepi to sign a first team deal.

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if that's true about the developmental roster slots. I read the roster rules a couple days ago and I think I got a pretty good grasp, and nothing says that you can only sign a certain amount of homegrowns. Here's what I posted:

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #393 Clint Eastwood, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Right, they could move one of their homegrowns up to the senior roster slots. But those aren't available either...........................

[One opened up when they traded Pedroso to DCU. However, that'll be filled when Cristian Colman is re-added to the roster from the injured list. I'm sure they'd love to sell him, but who would buy him?]

There are avenues the club can work on. Note that the 10 below doesn't include Dante Sealy, who's on a season long loan to the USL. So FCD could sign Pepi to an MLS deal and loan him back to the USL. No problem there. Or they could loan out Atuahene and/or Twumasi. There are other avenues too. Point being, I'm sure they can figure it out. But it does involve MLS-style roster shenanigans.

10 developmental roster slots of GenAds and homegrowns:
    [And yes, the average age of a player on the FCD first team roster is shockingly low.]

upload_2019-5-16_15-1-18.png

TxEx and TarHeels17 repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why an adjustment needs to be made to declare that HGP are simply cap exempt players. Although, I root for Atlanta... I have no problem with FC Dallas having a dynasty if all their prospects turn into elite talents.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It should be OK. A club like FCD just needs to keep the assembly line moving. So we can see one or both of Pomykal and Cannon being sold in the next year (maybe January transfer window). I can't see FCD re-signing Atuahene and Twumasi once their GA Status expires. So there's 4 available slots right there.

Just gotta keep it moving.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Last week, the U-16 NT won a tournament in the Czech Republic. The biggest news from this tournament was that this was the first tournament with the a USYNT for Moses Nyeman, who is widely considered the premier talent in the academy system.

There was discussion whether his appearance in this tournament means he's received citizenship or if his appearance in this tournament instead of the U-17 qualifying is indication that he's still not yet eligible for the cap-tying tournaments, but he was handed the armband immediately in his first game for the USA and immediately made an impact in that game with an assist on our only goal in the game. He should be eligible in short order for our YNT's in the FIFA sanctioned tournaments, if he's not eligible already. If he can stay healthy (something he's struggled to do the last two years), he's going to make a very big impact in the US player pool.

PalmettoSpur and butters59 repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He has injury problems already at the u-16 level?
    I dont like the sound of that.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Good performance from our U20 team at the World Cup yesterday as they beat Nigeria.

Lots of players that could end up being advanced to the full USMNT really soon. [Four players in the age group already have caps. Adams, Amon, and Sargent who aren't part of this U20 World Cup team. And Tim Weah who is. Mark McKenzie is a 5th who has been called up, but not capped.]

Two good goals by Sebastian Soto of Hannover, who could get playing time next season. The player of the tournament so far (amongst a lot of good performances) has been Alex Mendez of Freiburg. Look at that driven-in corner. He's as good of a set-piece taker as I've seen for us on the U20 level. Killer free-kicks. Every corner-kick is dangerous.

1133083718292332544 is not a valid tweet id

1133095745249304576 is not a valid tweet id

TxEx and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am quite please w/ what I have seen from the U20 Team so far. They have to be disappointed that they let those two goals in against Ukraine... they seemed like the better team but just had two brain farts that cost them dearly. Defense and the Keeper seem a bit shaky at times... but there is a lot of talent up front. Mendez has been unreal on set pieces... He is so dangerous. He could develop into a real weapon for the MNT. Soto was quite impressive yesterday... yeah, he had two goals... but he also showed serious effort coming back on defense at times and was fearless in the box when faced with traffic on crosses. Paxton had some nice thru balls and I think he could have been even better if some of the players were on the same page. Weah was up and down IMO.

Due to said loss to Ukraine... the team needs to win against Qatar. They also need to pay attention to the goal differential if Nigeria upsets Ukraine. Unfortunately, even if they do advance... it will probably be as the #2 seed in the group and will likely have to face France in the knock-out round. That does not bode well for them.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah came up huge today... can't wait to get out of work and go home to watch the game. That was close. Really happy they were able to beat Qatar... that would have been a tough pill to swallow. Unfortunately, finishing 2nd in our group means we likely have to play France in the knockout stage and that teams is a buzzsaw.