Review: 2019 Audi Field Experiences

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU will most likely never play at the Plex again.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The 'Plex is gone as a venue for DCU -- for those who made it to games there (remember the "home" game against Houston last year in the blizzard?), it will be a fond memory. However, why would DCU pay to rent the 'Plex when they own their own stadium? What I do think will occur beginning next year is that early Open Cup matches will be held in Loudoun and if DCU progresses, then games would shift to AF. This particular game against Philly will be interesting because it comes during the Gold Cup break. Will Olsen and Curtin play more regulars than usual to keep them sharp during the layoff?

Winoman repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's also in the lease agreement that they pretty much have to play at EagleBank.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the RFK days I loved games at the Plex because of the seats being so close to the pitch. My Audi Field seats are just as close and higher, too, so I have an even better view.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the Plex because - well, first, it's a lot closer to my house and the drive there is much more enjoyable (and parking is free like the gawds intended), but also I stood on the rail right on the field on the "far side" so no seats in EagleBank are better than that (at least no place I am allowed to go without being tackled by CSC) - nor are any seats as good as standing behind the goal in the grass/beer area.
    Plus, you know, the whole seeing people and talking about the ongoing match which is much harder to do at EagleBank while doing anything other than watching on TV in the concession areas.

I'm intrigued by the idea of future USOC games being in Loudoun, though I think the DC lease makes that harder to pull off. As much as I enjoyed the Plex it makes no sense for the team to use it these days - and we were quite horrible there anyway (or we only ever played games with reserves so we just seemed extra horrible there). We also always seemed to go into overtime and overtime games caused me to have to speed to barely make the ferry.

YoungRef87, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you for putting the last nail in the coffin

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Another mess trying to get from Audi Field to the 74 bus to L'Enfant Plaza. Took me a long to realize the reason why the bus didn't show up at all was that the police blocked off all of O and P Streets. Still took forever for the next bus to come around.

Next time (and, yes, there will be a next time) I'll just walk along P Street towards Ft McNair to a bus stop that will eventually get a bus.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can walk up to Navy Yard Metro (by Nats Park) if you're able. That's faster than waiting for a Metro bus that may or may not show up.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    yeah - I know, but I'm trying to minimize walking distances - this year really sucks since The Circulator Bus doesn't go down to Audi Field this for some reason - otherwise I would be taking that all the time

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    USSF is smart enough to skin the field level blank walls...

ejs1111, Eastern Bear, usadcu and 2 others repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF is willing to spend the money to*

It looks really good

ejs1111 repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It irks me a bit that the team seats are the same for games like this. Home team gets car seats... normally.

13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great experience last night at the USMNT game. Ticket prices were high for a friendly involving the USMNT b-team against an uninteresting opponent. A lot of people coming to Audi Field for the first time, so the security line was a dumpster fire. Combine that with a 7 pm kickoff time and problems with Metro, and traffic around the stadium was a major pain.

Plus side- pretty good turnout, and the supporters were in good form. The Jamaica fans sitting in front of us were nice (and my positive opinion of them is in no way based on the scanty outfits worn by the young ladies in the group).

Overall, I'm not eager to go to a USMNT friendly again.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped after the Cuba fiasco. USSF lost my business. They showed no respect to the loyal fans in favor of the transient fans.

15. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the Cuba fiasco?

UnitedBorn and sitruc repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The USSF double booked seats and moved the loyal DC United fans to the Upper Deck and left the cell phone using, chatting fans in the seats.

17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to work the word "Bay" in there if you want it to be a legit Cuba related fiasco. Disqualified for linguistic insufficiency.

song219, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not worthy............................................

19. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    eh, i agree with your overall - unless its our A team and a good opponent (or another scantily-clad team like Brasil), then I will go again. But with extortionate tikatdicktater prices ~2.5x my regular season tics ($100 v $43), nah. But another positive - we had a nice t-gate. And the venture capitalist who bought my extra ticket bought me couple of beers, too.

shawn12011, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Thats my perspective on the USA and ICC games in this town. Its gotten to be absurd, to go to one of those events anymore. I took little PSU to Juve/Real last summer. Its probably the last time I set foot in FedEx field. It was way to much money for preseason quality friendly games combined with the hassle of going to Landover. Other than when the World Cup comes here or Baltimore or NY metro area, I can't see paying the kind of money they ask for seats from the front row to the last row anymore.

Pablo Mauer said a few months ago that he's appreciative of being part of being in the last generation that could afford to go sporting events as children. And he's right. 25 years ago, when I got out of college, I was working Manhattan. Can't tell you how many times I went to games at Shea or Yankee stadium and got a $7 ticket to sit in the upper deck and dropped <$20 on 2 dogs, 2 beers, a program and pencil to sit there alone, relaxing, watching the game. I used to spend <$20 a seat for mezzanine tix to the Rangers and <$50 for lower level seating, maybe 15-20 rows back for the Knicks. My Giants tickets were $43 for mezzanine 35 yard line. My 94 World Cup tix were $45 to sit 10 rows off the field in the corner at RFK or $28 to sit in the front row of the upper deck at Giants Stadium. It just doesn't seem like the pricing is that friendly anymore. I get inflation and all, but it just doesn't seem to all be proportional.

21. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d counter that there has never been a better time to take the family to professional sporting events. Between, minor league baseball, USL, NBA G league there are a ton of affordable options.

Adults might shun these options but an 8 year old kid will have an equally good time if they are at a Baysox game or an Orioles game.

Not as sexy but you still get the experience of taking the kid to see pro ball.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to go see the Prince William Cannons (baseball) team when my sons were in Cub Scouts. They had a great time, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to see. Once Loudoun FC is up and running in Leesburg, I anticipate we will see more games there than at Audi Field.

YoungRef87, bigdavestud, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I go as far down as DIII college sports myself.

YoungRef87, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  24. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like, what's the point of going to these friendlies? Nothing's at stake, you rarely get to see the best players and the prices are too high. This summer's tournament between those four French teams is a head-scratcher for me. Is there really that much demand to see Ligue 1 teams around here?

Winoman repped this.
  25. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Making an attempt at a work outing to Audi for July 12 vs NER. We'll see how it goes, I have a block of seats at $35 for section 134. So far there is a mild "oh it's not the $10 Nats thing?" reaction but nobody has backed out.

Interns are a different story, we'll see how many make it.

Question: Do BB and DU host their pregame at Walters Sports Bar? I want to suggest a place that will be hopping and will be packed with DCU fans.

roadkit repped this.