2019 Asian Cup - Knockout Rounds II[R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by el-capitano, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mehdi11

mehdi11 Member

Jul 2, 2006
    London
    Iran have not even made world cup knockout stage despite South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Japan and even North Korea all managing to do so.

Zbagint and vancity eagle repped this.
  2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    how many costas does spain have though?

3. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    another bitter arab lol. Iran doesnt have luck. so we just dont do well in any one single tournament. but that is not how you judge a teams strength over time. Iran has a better world cup record than saudi of all time. had taremi scored that chance against portugal for example, we would have went to the round of 16. a world cup with 3 games can be influenced by a single moment. doesnt mean that the team is worse than another team just because one time that team went to round of 16. asian cup 2004 and 2015 we were the best teams and got reffed out. whereas qatar and iraq did not get reffed out the 1 time they had the chance to win it. that is the difference. we also had a chance to win this cup if the ref didnt give that penalty. that is 3 potential asian cups. so because iraq won it once in 2007 means iraq is better than iraq in past 40 years? lmao. your stupidity shows mate.

Iran has a winning head to head record against every single asian team. we are the only asian team to have this. but according to "mehdi11" iraq and qatar are better because they won 1 game within a tournament which gave a trophy. lol.

look at the following list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Asian_Cup_records_and_statistics#AFC_Asian_Cup

who is on top? your daddy.

the likes of you are so stupid you think qatar and iraq are better than Iran and south korea in the past 4 decades because qatar/iraq matched to win a 6/7 game competition once, despite Iran and south korea being on top of asia for 4 decades consistently. just no point to argue with people who have an IQ under 80.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first goal at 00:16 is absolutely awesome... however, not to be nitpicky, but watching it again, maybe could have been ruled out offside due to #10 blocking the goalkeeper's vision of the ball.... would have been harsh as it was a record breaker and such a sweet shot, but I've seen those calls given

5. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Yawn all I see is EXCUSES

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I neither agree with some of the comments I read from persianfootball nor the responses to his comments here about Iran. Iran was among the top favorites to win the Asian Cup, but as it turned out none of the favorites won. Among the top rated teams in Asia, namely Iran, Australia, Japan and S.Korea along with Saudi Arabia, only Japan made the final and only Iran and Japan were among the 4 semifinalists. The team that won the tournament was actually the one with the hardest route to the final and the best results by far and the best performances overall. And while a tiny mini-state like Qatar may not have a football team filled with players born in Qatar, I actually find this version of Qatar a lot more legitimate than some in the past which featured players who weren't at all groomed in Qatar by any stretch of the imagination. In the meantime, if it can be proven that Qatar has fielded ineligible players, those with the responsibility to dish out the appropriate punishment will do so. But so far the allegations don't appear to have been substantiated.

So, yes, congratulations to Qatar for a job well done. I wish I could be congratulating Iran instead, but the truth is that we are the most consistent side in Asia overall, including in consistently chocking at the wrong game and match.

Mani and vancity eagle repped this.
  7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If Japan host the tournament then Japan and Qatar play. There isn't another spot available. Six confederation champions, world Cup Champions and host makes 8.

8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    "Iran and south korea didn't do ANYTHING in asia in the past 43 years. qatar and iraq>>>>>>>>>>>>Iran and south korea"

[​IMG]

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Qatar vs Japan will meet a bunch of times in the coming years:

2019 - Asian Cup Final
    2019 - Copa America final
    2021 - Confederation Cup Final
    2022 - World Cup Final

Just kidding, just kidding... :D

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    just stop. just stop please.

Iran had so much luck in the past WC and you still failed to make the second round.

You got outplayed by Morocco and they scored on themselves in the final minute of the match.

You then got a soft penalty against Portugal.

Without any luck Iran would have finished with ZERO points.

You had a ton of luck and it still wasn't good enough.

This Asian cup your stock has gone down even more.

Only 2 decent teams you played. You couldn't beat Iraq and you got killed against Japan (who were crap the whole tournament except when they played you)

Just stop with your delusions.

And I actually wouldn't have minded Iran to win this tournament, I like new winners, I respect Iran on the world political stage, and my brother is married to a Persian.

but you are just deluded.

11. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    [​IMG]

12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I dont know where you think your bragging rights comes from.

On the world stage, Iran has NEVER qualified for the second round of a WC.

Australia, Japan, S.Korea, S. Arabia all have.

Japan and S. Korea multiple times.

Within Asia Iran has not won the cup since 1976.

Even Iraq and Qatar have recently done so. So what exactly are you trying to claim ?

You are one of the top teams in Asia, but lets just leave it at that.

Hashim afc repped this.
  13. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Why are you showing us a table that says you haven't won a cup since 1976 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vancity eagle repped this.
  14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    and japan is only up by goal differential.
    [​IMG]
    please stop talking about Iran. your obsession is unhealthy and i have already proven your delusions wrong.

15. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    Iran has a better world cup record than saudi arabia. we have 1.5 points/game, not to mention a much better goal differential, and also the fact that Iran played tougher teams at the world cup. saudi has 1.45. so i dont know what you are talking about.

17. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Maybe he's talking about the fact they have qualified to the knockout round not your pointless stats :ROFLMAO:

18. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    do you know anything about statistics? each team went to the WC only 5 times. that is not a large enough sample to draw conclusions from very minor details.... so one saeed lone wondergoal to put saudi in knockouts vs mehdi taremi last second miss by portugal could have switched things up and meant that Iran had better "record" than saudi? when we look at performance we look at long term. when sample size is so low and such minor things make such a different you cant draw conclusions. it would be stupid to say "saudi is better than Iran at the world cup because one time they went to the round of 16 while Iran missed by a milimetre yet other than that over the the 5 times each team has been there Iran has a better overall record."

19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    obviously to show that it is a flawed argument to say that a single tournament outweighs 60 years of consistently top performances. you would expect that even a monkey with a brain injury would have figured that out. but apparently not you. lol.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Any time an Asian team which isn't ranked among the top 16 in the world, isn't hosting and isn't seeded among the top 2 teams in its group, ends up advancing to the R16, it has in a way punched above its weight. In Iran's case, we never punch above but we seldom punch truly below our weight either. For that reason, we have never gone pointless in the World Cup, but never advance out of our World Cup group either. We have always done enough to at least earn a point or more against one of the weaker teams in our group. Similarly, while Iran hasn't (since 1976) been able to do what is mathematically always against the odds (namely win a trophy), we are also a side with the best overall win/points record in the Asian Cup. Our semifinal loss to Japan, in fact, was our first loss in regulation in this century in the Asian Cup. So far, to be a fan of Iran's team has meant going over more games than most fans of most teams go through without seeing their team lose but also never really being able to celebrate a major achievement. That has been the truth about Iran for too long. I am hoping that will change one day, but until then, I believe the limelight tonight belongs to Qatar. The good thing about Qatar winning the Asian Cup is that it should (but won't) put to shame those in Iran who have always tried to find our past blemishes as an excuse for possible future ones. If Iran hasn't won the Asian Cup in a long time, and its best placement since 1976 has been as a semifinalist (in 1980, 1984, 1988, 1996, 2004, 2019), the Qatar side that won the Asian Cup did so for the first time and had finished pointless in its group in 2015.

Mani repped this.
  21. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    there we go. the genius has done it again. now north korea is better than Iran. Iran who has 0 losses against north korea and 14 wins is now worse because north korea had 1 good run at the world cup and did nothing else in their history. isnt it so easy to pick and choose teams and categories and ignoring consistent results over a period of 60 years when trying to compare teams? knockout tournaments do not have the highest validity when determining the strength of teams.

greece>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>england because england have no won euro in forever but greece WON it in 2004. greece number 1 in europe.

south korea>>>>>>>>>>>>germany because they beat them in WC2018. germany did nothing in its footballing history.

22. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Stop saying could have should have would have. He didn't. Taremi bottled. You've never been to the knockouts and they have. Just like all your squads have done for decades have bottled. Even if we want to look over a long period of time, you haven't won the Asian cup in 43 years. That's a long time. And you've bottled every Asian cup in that period. Whichever way you want to look at it you're trash. They have a more recent Asian cup win, a more recent Asian cup final appearance, more knockout appearances at the world cup, even more world cup appearances this century I believe. Your national team has won zero Asian cups and failed in every since World Cup group stage since you've been watching them. Your team sucksss

23. Hashim afc

Hashim afc Member

Jun 16, 2006
    43 years of consistently failing to win the Asian cup is not consistently top performances :ROFLMAO:

24. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    [​IMG]

25. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #350 persianfootball, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    [​IMG]