2019 AFC Asian Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  2. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Not really news i.r and iff dont deserve to host it. But unfortunately now the stupid january asian cup trend will continue.

3. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Asian Cups have to be held in the summer. I don't like it either

chook90 repped this.
  4. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I thought this had to do with the Asian league seasons more so than anything, otherwise why did Australia host the Cup in summer instead of winter (when the 'normal' soccer season is in Australia?)

5. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia hosted in January because of the requirements of rectangular stadiums in the Australian Winter for the Rugby League and Rugby Union. None of the stadiums were prepared to exclude the NRL and Super Rugby from their grounds for the required 4-5 weeks, as this is were the majority of their income is generated, not from football.

6. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Melbourne could have accommodated it. Same as Adelaide, Perth, Gosford, and Sydney have enough alternative venues.

Also I would imagine that the AFC set the date for when hosting is to take place, NOT the host nation.

7. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The SA and WA governments wouldn't cough up any money to host and didn't want the Asian Cup in their cities. No venue in Melbourne, as AAMI is home to the Storm and Rebels, and shifting those games to Etihad would have clashed with the AFL. Brisbane, Canberra, Newcastle, Townsville & Gold Coast all have Rugby to host, leaving the only available stadiums in Sydney and Gosford.

8. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Super Rugby finishes early winter, so would only have had to made Melbourne play a few away games in a row. Could have done similar for Canberra. If held over winter Perth and Adelaide might of been more willing to come to the party. But in the end I still believe the AFC sets the hosting timeframe and nations bid based on that timeframe they set (much like the World Cup).

9. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually didn't want Iran to be the host for one main reason: women aren't allowed into the stadium.

hanul21 repped this.
  10. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Any idea what the match schedules might be like?

11. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was about to create a thread with the question of holding the Asian Cup in the summer. But glad I don't have to.

The reason(s) why I want Asian Cup to be held in the summer:

It will be easier for Asian legionnaires in Europe to be released for the tournament (and in better condition than having to leave mid-season).

I understand that many Asian leagues have break in January, but I argue that they should accommodate for the continent's biggest tournament once every four years.

Not all participating Asian teams have European-based players. However, by providing the best condition possible for legionnaires to play, the tournament's quality can be improved (especially after the expansion to 24 teams) and encourage more Asian players to make a move to big leagues in Europe.

One concern about moving the tournament to summer is that given the current cycle (2019, 2023, 2027, ...) Asian leagues will have to hold a mid-season break for two consecutive years; during World Cup and Asian Cup years.

Therefore, I also think the AFC should consider aligning the tournament to Euro and Summer Olympic Game years (2020, 2024, 2028, ...). If TV exposure is a concern, I think the expansion of the Asian Cup into football-mad countries like the Southeast Asian nations can make up for it.

What do you guys think?

kung_fu_kicks repped this.
  12. kung_fu_kicks

kung_fu_kicks New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I totally agree with you. The current schedule is unfair to the likes of Korea, Japan and Australia who have many European based players compared to the rest.

chook90 repped this.
  13. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think even for teams that currently have less European-based players, having the tournament in summer can help.

Scouts may pay more attention in the summer on the lookout for approaching transfer period: scanning for Asian talent that went under the radar.

This will be complemented by having more European-based players play in the Asian Cup. More European scouts will pay attention to the tourney. Who knows, maybe an Asian-based player will catch the attention of a European scout and become the next Asian export.

14. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There's no way you could have an Asian Cup in the Gulf in the middle of the year. For other regions, it would be worth considering.

15. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    it is said Japan and china will be invited to play 2019 copa america and withdrew from ASian cup because associantion could only play one continent tournament in one year

16. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    it is said Japan and china will be invited to play 2019 copa america and withdrew from ASian cup because associantion could only play one continent tournament in one year

17. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I guess this move is aided by the the uncertainty of the FIFA Confederations Cup. I believe it is confirmed that 2021 Confederations Cup will not be hosted by Qatar.

18. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Mexico and Jamaica participated in both 2015 Copa America and 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup within two months. Is such regulation existed?

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan and China can play in as many tournaments as they want, however only one will be treated by FIFA as a Continental Championship in terms of ranking points, and also in terms of player release.

rooboy91 and mdhm repped this.
  20. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mexico sent a B or C team to the Copa America anyway.

21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Draw will be held on 27 April 2018.

KiarashM and chook90 repped this.
  22. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will the seeding be determined?

23. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    April FIFA rankings.

AIL1998 repped this.
  24. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Curious to know if anyone has gone to UAE to watch football before?

UAE sounds like the best option for a football trip in that part of the world so wanted to know if others have already tried or had similar thoughts for this edition.

25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    [​IMG]

chook90 repped this.