2019 AFC Asian Cup Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nurvin, Aug 13, 2018.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    or the fact that in our last 10 competetive games going back to the playoffs against Honduras we have only scored from general play in two of them.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Arnie says they're still learning the system. ;)

In Arnie we trust. :)

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We were similarly crap at scoring under Ange and Bert as well and with at least 4 different formations that I can remember. Not sure Arnie has the answer. I think its up to the players.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Even with Arnie's system at Sydney FC, it always had a good foreign striker at the tip of it. Janko, Bobo & now Alfie, although he's playing under Arnie-lite (Corica).

Maclaren doesn't look up to it. Maybe it is Gianou?

I think those supporters (not us older types like you and me :p) who grew up watching the golden generation, were too spoilt. :) They expect diamonds from lumps of coal.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I grew up watching Noddy Alston put them away. Lived within walking distance of the ground South Coast United played at. I get a bit frustrated watching the national team play these days because we do well at most things but can't put the ball in the net. Maybe Gianou will step up. We need a good centre forward (I love old time terms) and hes probably the best we have right now. I know Mark Viduka types don't come along very often but I would settle for a Josh Kennedy type right now.