[2019 AFC Asian Cup: Quarter-finals] Korea vs Qatar 2019/01/25 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jan 24, 2019.

1. taelee1127

taelee1127 Member

South Korea
    Aug 27, 2018
    Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm going to say and hope they'll be retired by then so the only person I would stress about is KFA's favorite autistic son HHC.

2. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    anyone know if son heungmin cried

[​IMG]

chook90 repped this.
  3. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nah he’s a big boy now

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bento isn't going to be fired. Y'all can talk about it, but it isn't happening.

And while I absolutely disliked Bento's selections, he needs to stay on. There aren't better managers we can acquire, and Bento despite his flaws, isn't a bad tactician. He's just stubborn.

Kim SG was a non-factor in this tournament but some of you scapegoating him? he didn't cost us the tournament. you want to place blame on individual players? Let's start with Jung WY and LY.

5. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No because he got his military exemption. He's crying in this instance because he thought those trainers grabbing him were really the military men about to take him into the army.

wrecklesssoldier repped this.
  6. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nah, he got military exemption in his pockets. The world is all roses now.

7. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Plus, Hummels missing open headers.

Kanuck repped this.
  8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nah, it's more of the notion that Kim Seung-gyu shouldn't have been the first choice keeper is all. But, I agree with everything else you've said.

Hodori repped this.
  9. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree. To me, Cho Hyun Woo is the clear #1 keeper and it's not even close.

But Kim SG didn't really fk up. He's not the guy to place the blame.

iunlock and Gaemamusa repped this.
  10. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Give me 30 minutes and I'll give you a list of 3 Korean and 3 foreign managers who are better than Bento and reasonably within KFA's means.

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  11. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you have 28 minutes

12. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If you want to take that post of mine way too literally, sure. But we're talking about the level of managers we can get. You can name me other managers all you want but they are marginal at best.

There aren't 3 korean managers who are better than Bento. Maybe 1-2 are debatable, but that's all it is. A debate. We would never know for sure because 1) Bento isn't getting fired 2) those managers are nowhere close to being national team manager at this point.

13. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    don't

Seol Korea repped this.
  14. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    Unpopular opinion, but there wasn't much KSG could have done for that goal, rather it was KYG who should have done better to block that shot. He moved out of the way hoping it would go wide for a goal kick..
    Seems like our defenders always try to play these stupid percentages.

The shot itself was very well placed and had a lot of movement on it. Immediately reminded me of Sully Muntari's strike against Uruguay in the 2010 WC.

the rainmaker and zdrstvte repped this.
  15. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    For once, we need to stick to the damn contract length. Not saying that Bento is entirely in the right or that his decisions were justified, but we can't be so quick to put a manager on the chopping block because of 'x' reason(s). Like I said, perhaps when things are not really changing and looking the same for the next 1.5/2 years, then sure we can start discussing, but right now is too premature.

jinseokyang repped this.
  16. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I disagree about KYG. I may have only played high school soccer in the states, but high velocity shots are hard to correctly block (I was also a CB/LB in HS). I blame it more on Jung WY for giving the Qatari player the space and being passive at that moment.

17. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    What makes you say that he's a decent tactician? He made some pretty bad tactical mistakes this tourney. The offense obviously had serious problems but he literally made no adjustments to his game plan.

- Kept HUJ as a lone forward even though he was badly isolated and had trouble winning aerial duels
    - Never played two up top despite it being the most obvious solution to lack of offensive creativity
    - Tried to play a possession based 4-2-3-1 even though central midfield looked completely lost without KSY
    - Played a heavily fullback-reliant game despite having fullbacks so bad that the Bahrain manager literally lured us to use them as much as possible
    - Didn't give LSW extended minutes despite desperately needing someone who could turn and dribble in final third under pressure
    - Didn't play KMH despite LY playing horribly

The only thing that Bento did well was how he used his extra time subs against Bahrain. There's nothing else I can honestly remember.

Sons of Thunder, Kanuck, Hodori and 3 others repped this.
  18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Koo Ja-cheol officially retires:

▶마지막이었다. 그래서 감독님과 대표팀 합류전에도 이야기했다. 사실 고민을 많이 했다. 감독님이 마지막으로 함께 하자고 해서 들어왔다. 그래서 끝까지 최선을 다하고 싶었다. 후배들에게 좋은 기억을 주고 싶었는데 그러지 못했다.

-대표팀을 은퇴하는 것인가.

▶이게 마지막이라고 하고 들어왔다. 대표팀 생활이 마지막이다.

Angel Bear, nmssis and Koreano repped this.
  19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I already said he's terrible at his lineup selections. Half of what you wrote were about his selections. I don't disagree there.

It is an unpopular opinion, and it's very easy to say in hindsight, but I actually don't blame him for playing possession football. Yes, we lost Ki, but you would think at this level of tournament, korea, a suppose powerhouse in Asia, should able to play some possession ball correctly. Especially with HIB and LCY's form. Especially with the way opponents park the bus, trying to play counter-attacking football wouldn't have made sense. But I also concede and agree that possession-style ball has never been our forte.

I'm 50/50 about the way he uses his fullbacks. It's obvious Bento relies on needing talented fullbacks, and I actually don't mind his aggressive way of using them. The issue is that our fullbacks suck and lack the pace. Bento needs to re-adjust and re-assess how to use them. But ideally, it's not bad instructions. It's just not that practical right now for us.

20. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Found it. We need a Korean coach who has the respect as a hyung to the players to do this. We should've never fired Hong since he got literally a few months to prepare a shithouse team.

jinseokyang repped this.
  21. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd had hope that we would have hired Senol Gunes for the 2014 WC and saved HMB for later. In International games, one year is really a short time, especially for a coach who had no manegerial exp in first team football.

22. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    JWY was a ticking time bomb the whole tournament. He's up there with KMW for the most frustrating and annoying player I've seen put on the KNT kit.

I was actually glad to see him get the yellow after his dumb blunder that would see him miss the SF match but ofc a match without him is too good to be true.

23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hong Myung-bo resigned, and I was one of the very first poster to say he should've stayed and fixed the errors he's made the lead up and at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but he didn't and we ended up with Stielike instead.

24. pkk78

pkk78 Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    Real CD España
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Anyone have Gunes and Donadoni's number?

25. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Agreed. I thought it was a really nice shot and Kim couldn’t do much to stop it. The question is why the defenders gave him so much space to shoot.

Angel Bear and inten repped this.