2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Here:

Clear handling. (1:10)
    How VAR doesn't fix that is beyond me.

2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchday 4

Liverpool - Genk: KRUZLIAK (SVK) [Irrati (ITA)]
    Napoli - Salzburg: MARCINIAK (POL) [Gil (POL)]
    Dortmund - Inter: MAKKELIE (NED) [Kamphuis (NED)]
    Barcelona - Slavia Prague: OLIVER (ENG) [Kavanagh (ENG)]
    Lyon - Benfica: KUIPERS (NED) [Van Boekel {NED)]
    Zenit - Leipzig: GRINFELD (ISR) [Pinheiro (POR)]
    Valencia - Lille: KARASEV (RUS) [Dankert (GER)]
    Chelsea - Ajax: ROCCHI (ITA) [Valeri (ITA)]

Makkelie and Rocchi with the biggest matches.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Two Dutch CRs on the same match day!:thumbsup:

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English AR just came this close to following his EPL VAR instructions rather than his UEFA VAR instructions. Tight offside that was going to lead to an OGSO. He went to flag immediately (per EPL) and then realized where he was, put the half-raised flag back down, and allowed play to continue. Goal scored. Flag goes up. VAR checks. Decision confirmed.

Part of me wishes the decision had been wrong, just so a real-live example involving English referees showing why the EPL instruction is stupid would exist.

5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    PANDEMONIUM at Stamford Bridge. Rocchi gives a 2 yellow cards both on 2 players who were sitting on yellow cards. So two red cards in the same sequence. First was for a UB tackle on Daley Blind tackle.Advantage is given and then the shot on goal is a PK for handling.So yellow card to the defender on the PK after the Daley blind red card. Chelsea is down 2-4 and scores pk to make it 3-4.

Edit chelsea just ties up the game 4-4. absolute craziness.
    Rocchi still has 15 mins left too.

PS. Both 2CT cards were justified for UB: Reckless tackle by D. Blind and SPA for the other defender. Not sure if there was a Dissent caution in there...
    Either way my referee hat is on here not my supporter hat.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing sequence of events.

Of course, Rocchi missing the first foul on Blind by the Chelsea player allowed the whole series of events to be set in motion. So I have no idea how he would get assessed on the whole thing. Not that he cares, given this is probably his next-to-last match.

DutchFanatic and frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    5-4 goal gets disallowed because the ball hits Abraham’s arm and it drops to azpilicueta’s feet and he smashes it in.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    https://streamable.com/2p3vp

I don't see a foul on Blind, he goes in shoves Pulisic off the ball and then falls because of Pulisics flailing body. If anything it's just a coming together. Doesn't excuse his wild challenge.

dark knight repped this.
  9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What I see is that Blind shoulders Pulisic off the ball in what appears to me to be a fair challenge, then as Pulisic goes down, he trips Blind. That is a careless trip there.

It doesn't excuse Blind's lunge in after that, but really, based on the levels that the ref had set to that point, the play should've likely been stopped there, Blind getting the caution, and Ajax the free kick for the trip.

mathguy ref and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I can't speak to the levels since I've only just seen this clip. Looks like something that would be let go several times a game though.

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

It was clearly offside but no VAR intervention this time. So unfair, after what happened in Amsterdam (see page 19 of this thread).

12. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I don't see anyone clearly off

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I had a meeting this afternoon and just watched the match. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like it. Both Blind and Veltman dug themselves into holes by stupid challenges in the first half that drew YCs. Veltman's 2nd must have been for dissent as the handball was incidental and it would have been really harsh for Rocchi to give him a YC for the hand. Blind was definitely fouled in the lead up before the YC but it wasn't called. Ajax supporters and ten Hag are furious about that. Weird game, no question.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A punishable handball for a shot on goal is a yellow card. It’s always a yellow card in UEFA. It’s supposed to always be a yellow card everywhere.

The second 2CT was for the handball. He was awaiting confirmation from the VAR that the penalty was not a clear mistake and thereby avoid the farcical situation where he shows 4 cards and then rescinds 2 of them. Once he got VAR confirmation, he produced the cards.

It absolutely was not for dissent.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks!!! It sure looked like a hand ball to me. I guess the controversy is going to be about whether Blind was fouled by a trip by Pulicic before he got his second YC. What a crazy match!!!

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchday 4

Real Madrid - Galatasaray: ZWAYER (GER) [Stegemann (GER)]
    PSG - Brugge: MADDEN (SCO) [Attwell (ENG)]
    Crvena Zvezda - Tottenham: DEL CERRO GRANDE (ESP) [Sanchez Martinez (ESP)]
    Bayern - Olympiacos: RACZKOWSKI (POL) [Hernandez Hernandez (ESP)]
    Atalanta - Man City: KULBAKOV (BLR) [Turpin (FRA)]
    Dinamo - Shakhtar: BRYCH (GER) [Dingert (GER)]
    Leverkusen - Atletico: SKOMINA (SVN) [Orsato (ITA)]
    Lokomotiv Moscow - Juventus: BUQUET (FRA) [Millot (FRA)]

Interesting to see Turpin and Orsato as VARs.

17. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I have trouble reconciling now that’s a punishable handball per the LOTG verbiage. His arm is low, within the frame of the body. I suppose you can say that it creates a barrier the ball can’t pass through.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seemed to flex somewhat, from what I saw. He had a lot of time to get that out of the way. Letting the ball hit your arm from distance is, in its own way, a deliberate act.

Reminder that this is always going to be a grey area, but I definitely see that as handling.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even with VAR, weird things are going to continue to happen that we will continue to talk about. When I looked at the replay, you could see that Veltman's arm was slightly away from his body but was this enough to make him "bigger" (if that is what the CR and VAR are looking for)? If this is the case, then the only way defenders can be sure of not getting called is to have both arms behind their back but this is pretty unreasonable. Will we ever see a whole series from the Blind-Pulicic challenge, to the Blind reckless foul and then the hand ball that led to two RCs again?

Naturally I'm disappointed and hope that Ajax can make it through this group which is now tied at the top. If not, the VAR decisions in both games will continue to fester.

20. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Sorry, I am going to disagree here - there is no requirement in the LotG for a player to move his arm "out of the way" of the ball, and there has never been an instruction from FIFA, UEFA, or US Soccer/PRO as far as I am aware, that a defender is expected to do so.

As far as ECL/UEL goes. there are at least three clips on the new UEFA RAP material that show incidents that are as close as you could possibly get to this one, and they all say "NO INFRINGEMENT".

Sorry, in my book, I find it very difficult to agree with that decision.

21. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Remember, part of the OFFICIAL, written explanation for the new wording of the LotG was that IFAB explicitly said that they did not want to see defenders having to "put their arms behind their back".

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The shot received a deflection from Mazraoui. Without the deflection it doesn't hit his arm.

23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a lot happened in a short period of time, but IMHO Pulisic definitely tripped Blind and should have been whistled for a foul. I get Pulisic was going down after the (fair) shoulder charge, but he still tripped Blind.

One of the wildest matches I’ve ever watched. Great theater.

Orange14 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That whole incident is absolutely fascinating on so many levels.

Rocchi was 100% technically correct to send both players off. Both cards are correct in a classroom setting. They are textbook cautions.

Let's be honest, Blind was fouled by Pulisic prior, but that can happen to any referee. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

What's interesting is he might be the only referee in the world that would pull that off and show absolutely no hesitation there.

There is no way in hell that both players are getting sent off in an MLS game. Maybe Toledo or Elfath would go back and send Blind off for the tackle, but not the defender for the handling.

Most MLS referees probably wouldn't even go back and give either player a yellow if they weren't sitting on cautions. I know Jair Marrufo would eat both cards there after calling the penalty kick.

I'm pretty confident that most MLS referees wouldn't even give a yellow regardless if the defender is on a caution or not for the handling.

Same thing in the EPL. No way would that happen. Maybe Mike Dean might try and pull that off on a Bournemouth vs. Southampton game on a Tuesday night. But not on Chelsea vs. Man City.

Now how many elite CL referees over the past 10 years would do what Rocchi did? I could see Lahoz pulling something similar, probably Mallenco, maybe Brych and Cakir back in the day.

No way would you see the likes of Webb, Kuipers, Clattenburg, Skomina or Rizzoli do that.

As decisive and confident as Rocchi looked there, it's also probably why he never was able to quiet displace Rizzoli as Italy's #1 referee and get the level of assignments that Rizzoli did.

Rizzoli would never make such a controversial or "unnecessary" decision on an important CL match no matter how correct it is.

You just can't have a CL semi-final or World Cup semi-final be marked with a decision like that.

Rocchi is the same guy that sent off a player for sarcastically clapping at him 20 25 minutes into one of the biggest derby matches in the world and then followed it up by sending off his team for handling on a penalty kick.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have polite disagreement. I just think there is a combination of him having plenty of time to not have his hand there and the flex of the arm. The totality of events makes it look like, to me, that he is deliberately using his arm to make sure the shot doesn't get by him. But I can understand the opposite argument.

Once it's called, though, I don't think this is anywhere near a case for VAR intervention, as I've seen others suggest.