2019 - 2020 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LargeGuyBobby, Oct 10, 2019.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    great minds...

boxcar123 repped this.
  2. tartSoccerFan

tartSoccerFan Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    #77 tartSoccerFan, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    So it sounds like you're basically saying why would a top-notch, established head coach from a top soccer program move to an Ivy League program where he will be severely restricted from a recruiting standpoint? I hear you. However look at Kylie Stannard (Yale). Yale made top 25 at some point late this season and he has achieved the best record for Yale since 1989 (13-2-2) ..and Yale is in the college cup- all in five seasons at the helm. It looks like he's starting to get it together for that program. Ditto for John Smith at Cornell. There's also the money lure ($$$ are sometimes just too hard to pass up) and/or just the sheer challenge of it. I know it's hard, maybe next to impossible to attract such a person (both Stannard and Smith were asst .coaches at top programs before Ivy). but maybe there's a chance they can recruit a Muus - someone who's willing to take the risk because he has nothing to lose- he's already won the top award in D1 college soccer. If he fails - fine. he blames it on Harvard/Ivy recruiting rules and gets a top D1 head coaching job elsewhere.

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vacant
    College of Charleston
    George Mason
    Harvard
    Boston University
    UNC Asheville
    Incarnate Word

OverseasView repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Guys, no head coach from a power D-I program is leaving said program to go to the Ivy League.

Let's just nip that one in the bud right now.

SBZipfan, WesternWillie and ThePonchat repped this.
  5. Hey Buster

Hey Buster New Member

LAFC
    England
    Nov 20, 2019
    Harvard job is a curious one. Obvious academic admission challenges, high cost of living in Boston coupled with Ivies not known for or interested in "arms race" compensation. I imagine strong, young, aggressive candidate would welcome
    this opportunity not "established" Head Coach from upper echelon conference. But what do I know?

SBZipfan and Fitballer repped this.
  6. Fitballer

Fitballer Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I would think Shaprio makes a ton of sense for Harvard. D3's have no money--so he is used to recruiting high end academic kids with no money. He was at Georgetown w/Wiese so gets DI well. Already living in Boston....

SBZipfan and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Some of the D3s have lots of money - they just don't have athletic scholarship money. However, as the recent admissions fraud scandal has shown, they may have a key to the side door, which can be of value itself.

8. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Not that it has anything to do with coaching vacancies - but Valpo dropped men's soccer today, along with men's tennis.

9. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    #84 Terrier1966, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Wouldn’t be shocked if BU goes to an assistant...unlikely he retired after 40 years on a whim. One assistant was promoted to associate head coach in 2016 and has been there 13 years. That one might not be a long search

Tufts coach would be a good choice for Crimson

Fitballer, JoeSoccerFan and MySonsPlay repped this.
  10. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Harvard should attract a big name

11. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I looked into a few things over the weekend and didn't hear anything firm. But it's likely what was alleged --at least partially-- has some truth. Kelly had a long career with which he can be pleased and whatever happens I hope things go well for all. I'm surprised his status wasn't a more talked about story out in Washington.

12. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Harvard has a better chance at Bobby Muus than Bobby Muuss.

theatric7 repped this.
  13. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Right? It's funny that anyone believes a coach from a power conference would leave their job to coach in the Ivies.

Limited on which players you can recruit due to academics. Limited by the lack of athletic scholarships. Limited by a more restrictive practice schedule from the Ivy league in the Spring. Starting the 10 week season a week later than everyone else.

Why would you want to coach in a conference that is designed to fail athletically, when you already have a good environment with a chance to win a national championship, with better pay?

14. torwart

torwart Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The idea is absurd for a power 5 coach to leave his position for Ivy, that’s just not how it works boys.

Now if the Ivy’s went after a solid mid level HC who’s gotten it going (New Hampshire, etc) or an ACC/Big Ten/etc. big time Assistant Coach- now that idea I can get on board with.

Fitballer repped this.
  15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Concur.

It's pretty obvious the school kept this low-key last week so as not to distract from the team during the NCAA Tournament.

If you look at all their releases last week from the time they were picked to the NCAA Tournament till they got eliminated by U-Dub, Kelly isn't quoted in any of them.

Clearly, they'd already begun to de-emphasize and disassociate from Kelly and the fact that they announced his "resignation" just about the same time the team plane from Seattle landed is also a pretty obvious tell.

BC is an ACC gig and Boston is great, albeit expensive, city to live in. As such, this will be a very appealing opening and I expect BC to have a pretty interesting and impressive list of applicants.

I could see someone like Jamie Franks being a candidate and I can see Bo Oshoniyi getting some interest, too. New Hampshire's Marc Hubbard and Craig Stewart at Providence, might be strong candidates, too.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vacant
    College of Charleston
    George Mason
    Harvard
    Boston University
    UNC Asheville
    Incarnate Word
    Boston College

18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Marc Hubbard, Bo and Stewart are great calls... Interested to see what Jamie wants to do as his name has been thrown around before.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    College of Charleston - Keith Wiggans (CofC associate head coach)

Vacant
    George Mason
    Harvard
    Boston University
    UNC Asheville
    Incarnate Word
    Boston College
    UMKC

OverseasView repped this.
  21. WesternWillie

WesternWillie Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels very strange to have both BC and BU open. It shouldn't given the amount of time served and age of the coaches involved, but it does.

ThePonchat repped this.
  22. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012