Pre-match: 2019-20 CONCACAF Nations League: USA vs Cuba, November 19th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Assuming the field is narrow and/or rough, does it make sense to focus on an possession game? I’d be more focused on stopping their counters. Ironically, I’m pretty sure we’d end up with more possession if we did that as they’re not going to break a well organized defense without turning the bell over a lot.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    fwiw, here's the Truman Bodden for a recent U14 match - but you get a decent view of the pitch.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not my pal, friend!
    You're not my friend, guy!

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #55 Cannons, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Because Cuba is weak enough, it might work? We need goals, not possession with no shots! Assuming we win, we are one goal behind Canada on goal differential. We need a lot of goals to insure

6. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh...we're not. We're currently two goals ahead of Canada on goal differential, and they don't play tonight. For advancement purposes, any win will do.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 in cm defensively, try to win the ball right back after losing it otherwise fall back, only way I could envision Cuba scoring is off a counter where our players are totally out of position or a smash and grab. While we should be playing possession here, still should have the when in doubt clear it out mentality at the back. Cuba's line shouldn't be allowed to push up high enough to threaten often and so it should be Sunday stroll passing out of the back usually.

We should be able to comfortably win this while playing mostly a b-unit, but multiple players have to be capable of breaking down an opponent in tight spaces (a task often proven to be difficult for our pool), if Cuba isn't foolish enough to do that mid-block press again to allow us to get in behind them. We should account for the former possibility.

I'd go:

--Boyd----Sargent----Dest
    --------Lletget---Yueill-------
    Cannon----McKennie----Lima
    ----------Ream----Zimmerman----
    --------------Guzan------------------

8. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly don't care about the lineup tonight with two exceptions.

I want to see Sargent up top and Dest at left back.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I want to see us come out with the same defensive intensity / tactics as Friday. I want us to put it away early -- no doubts, no slacking, come at them hard and overwhelm them. I get that there's little there to learn if we simply overwhelm with talent. But I think this team needs to get back that swagger and we can add later.

Sargent and Cannon, please. Give Lletget another run out at CAM before Pulisic and Weah are back, even if it's just Cuba. Give Morales a full game. I'd be okay with resting Brooks so we don't break him. Give Boyd some time to get his mojo back against an easy opponent.

jnielsen, Patrick167, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't want to see McKennie play. Get him back to Schalke healthy. He should already be on the plane.

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Still a must-win game for the sake of this stupid competition, and we're already missing three of our best seven or so players. I'm not prepared to pre-emptively sit another.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Everyone's saying McKennie was our worst player (not me, I'm saying he was our best). So, let's sit him.

13. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After T&T catastrophe nothing is taken for granted, but we gonna win tonight's game i think. Just need to roll in couple early goals and don't stop playing after that. Easy, right?

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    If I were picking someone to be our best player in this upcoming game, though, he'd be one of my top picks. And we might need it if it's one of those games where the goal seems to have a lid on it.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With a win, the US will be level on points with Canada, have a goal difference at least 3 goals better, and will have scored at least 2 more goals than Canada.

What exactly are you trying to get at?

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I will cast my vote for scoring six goals if that makes Cannons comfortable. Still need to win.

17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I was talking about GF...That number Canada is +1 on GD we are +2. I would feel comfortable if we scored about 6.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The US has scored 11 goals. Canada has scored 10.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    My friend - Canada does not have another game to play. They are done. If we win, we beat them on goal differential, and at least tie with them on goals scored, which doesn't even matter.

wsmaugham, Ironbound and gnk repped this.
  20. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, although it’s irrelevant as you said, but US already has 11 goals and Canada 10, with Canada done playing this round. Simply put, any win by the US means the US wins the group. End of discussion. Here is a link to the current standings:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/standings/_/league/concacaf.nations.league

wsmaugham repped this.
  21. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I'm sure someone has already explained it, but why are we playing in the Caymans and not in Cuba? I assumed it was for political / visa reasons, but then I saw that Canada played there as well, and I was under the impression that Canada had a more friendly relationship with Cuba than us...

22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not certain but I believe their stadium and pitch is not FIFA certified.

jnielsen, Winoman and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Concacaf mandated that League A matches be played at night and Cuba's field doesn't have lights IIRC.

Edit: I do not recall correctly. Their stadium is under construction.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...gue-group-play-against-cuba-in-cayman-islands

jnielsen, 2in10, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    This occurred to me just after I hit 'post reply'. I think its the safest assumption. I was doing some light research and it looks like the thing that prevents Estadio Pedro Marrero (where they've played most of their home matches the last few years) from being certified is a manual scoreboard / clock.

Like I mentioned above, I wonder if the 'construction' is installation of a modern scoreboard and/or updating of lights. Semi-recent pictures of the stadium show it having lights: http://bohemia.cu/deportes/2016/06/la-habana-y-santiago-hoy-en-fecha-final-del-futbol/

edit: FWIW, Cuba hosted Bermuda there in February... maybe one of the summer storms caused significant damage?

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps we should consult with 'our man in Havana' @wixson7

wixson7 repped this.