Pre-match: 2019-20 CONCACAF Nations League: USA vs Cuba, November 19th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just win, baby.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris should be rested. He has looked worn out for the past two months. There is zero reason to play him here.

This is the type of game in which Gregg can safely deploy 'The System'.

Gacm32, TrueCrew, Roger Allaway and 2 others repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    welcome to CONCACAF, Sergino.

jnielsen and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Cuba at home is a totally different animal. When Cubans put efforts into running during the game they are way more dangerous than when they save energy on the field to run fast after the game. I'll happily take any win.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cuba isn't at home. This game is in the Caymans.

6. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was TV quality really that bad in 2008? (I'm kidding)

um_chili repped this.
  7. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I could barely tell what the hell was happening in this video either.

Now I may be paranoid but my joke about Couva was kind of serious. I enjoyed seeing us beat Canada soundly but that win made my confidence in Gagg go from .001% to .1%. So I am not at all convinced that he won't manage to screw things up in the Caymans. Moreover, our last two games away to Cuba were very hard fought and our narrow wins probably flattered us.

On the plus side is that this game is not being played in Havana, and I don't know I if there will be a lot of Cubans who will make the trip for it that would create the intense Concacaf away atmosphere that we had to deal with in 08 and 16.

Moreover, Cuba's recent form looks terrible. In the Gold Cup, they were last in Group A with zero points and a 0-17 goal differential. That's two 0-7 losses to Mexico and Canada, plus another 0-3 loss versus Martinique. That all makes them seem terrible--they were the dead-last team at the entire 2019 GC.

Their roster has zero players I've heard of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_national_football_team. One guy plays in the USL, one in Guatemala, many in the DR, and the rest in Cuba.

Still, Canada had beaten Cuba 14-0 over two games in 2019 and still managed only 1-0 in the Caymans. Plus there's the ghost of past Caribbean failures and near failures (though the A&B near-draw was presaged by a pretty mediocre home win against them--just 3-1, nothing like how badly we beat Cuba at home in October).

So the analysis is always going to be thin when the opponent is not well known, hence I'll just say that while I'd love to see a blowout, what I expect is a modest win and if we get that I will be very happy. The "on to the semifinals" rhetoric seems like tempting fate.

largegarlic repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The US on the road in the Caribbean is never a given, but it's worth noting that Canada got an early red in their match in the Caymans.

jnielsen and largegarlic repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's also worth noting that Cuba is ranked 179th in the world. They're ranked below Puerto Rico.

This isn't us needing a result in Trindad by any stretch of the imagination.

The U-20s would probably win this game.

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way they played last game they don't belong to the Hex.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Caymans' immigration policy? Can Cubans defect over there?

12. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction:
    USA 2-1 Cuba

BSers will be calling for Berhalter’s head

13. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You're a good sport, but we ain't there yet, pal.

14. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With you. They should know that this thing has screw up written all over it, so they should just go out and step on them.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My only wish is that Berhalter not play Sargent. We need him back in Bremen in one piece working on his game.

16. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Berhalter doesn't remember how bad it can be in away games. The refs will give all the advantage to Cuba, and will totally ignore injury-producing fouls to U.S. players. Disgusting!

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    anyone know that the field is like in the Cayman's? If the conditions are poor and we insist on building out of the back over rocky terrain, that'll even the odds a bit.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Trim it, line it, game on!

[​IMG]

2in10, Baysider, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Monarch Bay Beachbum and DHC1 repped this.
  20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok I'll bite. How much would you wager on such a 'bold' prediction? We win by 3 goals.

superdave repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If no one allows even an iota of overconfidence to creep in, Cuba should be an absolute cream puff.

DHC1 repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It is interesting that nobody was released to go back to Europe. I'm sure one enduring lesson of Couva is to not do anything to make it look like you are taking the result for granted. I doubt Brooks will play; but he flew with the team and could.

How many of the past failures will start? Roldan, Trapp, Lovitz? Should be the last game they play in for a long time.

Yuiell, Lletget, Arriola, Long have hardly played in weeks, they should be fresh. We should run the same defensive press until we are up 4-0. If you want to start McKennie or not, the same 4-2-3-1. The single #6 should also be an enduring lesson of Couva. Roldan has played so poorly it is hard to play him.

Boyd for Morris to start. Sargent for Zardes. Ream for Brooks, put Dest on the left, and Cannon on the right.

-----------Sargent------------
    Boyd----Lletget-------Arriola
    ------Yueill------Morales----
    Dest--Ream---Long----Cannon
    -----------Johnson------------

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Absolutely no way the kid instead of Zardes, who never gets tired anyway. And no Morales in the game where you must attack. The rest of changes depend on how Morris, Brooks and Ream feel.

25. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've spent a fair amount of time on Cayman, but never been to the TB Sports Complex. It's a government run center, that recently hosted the Caribbean track and field championships. Friends who have been there say it's a fairly nice, but pretty modest facility. To be honest, that describes a lot of Cayman. They tend to do this well, but not over the top, there. Overall, Cayman is a lot like Bermuda (just soooo much flatter) - not really much like the Caribbean.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to the quality of the field. I asked my friends there and they really didn't know either. They say that a good number of European club teams do winter break in Cayman, so the field can't be terrible.

Too expensive and hard to get there from CLT this time of year, although it will probably be great weather for the game there. I wish we'd draw Bermuda in one of these contests- I'd love to do an away match there.