2019-20 Champions League

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://draw.inker.one/#/cl/gs

Hopefully we get past the first knockouts this season. I hope Hazard makes the left AM spot his own and does better than Heung Min Son. Our defence should be better with Mats and Nico. Less pressure on Akanji. Fingers crossed that Hakimi stays injury free in the key parts of the season.

2. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Seems a little early to be making declarations until we get closer. Draws and injuries and roster issues can always take a role in the advancement.

Lets pretend that Reus or Sancho goes out with a serious knock. Should we be advancing automatically then?

3. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should COUNT on Reus going down with a knock....

4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why wouldn't we advance without Reus and Sancho? We still have Gurreiro, Hazard, Paco, Brandt and Götze.

5. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wasn’t the last World Cup Reuß first tournament that he wasn’t injured for?

How can you even consider planning with him when it matters?

6. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The club has always tried to plan without him. Kevin Kampl, Max Phillip, Emre Mor are all players bought to deputize for Reus with no success. This season there's no need to deputize for him. We have enough talent in the squad to not have to rely on him or a player like him. We have Hazard, Gurreiro and JBL on the left, Sancho, Brandt and Wolf on the right. In the middle Gotze would play his favourite position.

Unfortunately, the club is repeating that mistake in defence by relying on Hummels. But at least he isn't injury prone.

But all this title talk is overblown. Reus and Hummels alone didn't take us to the CL final. We have yet to replace Gundogan and Paco has a lot to do to make up for Aubameyang and Lewandowski.

Lastly, it all depends on Burki. Nobody is going to win us more games than him. Not even Sancho.

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you all have the right tools to build on last year. It was competitive all the way to the end.

As far as CL goes, Im not sure both of our teams haven’t improved enough to compete for a semifinal in the CL..

Here we are...content with a semifinal.... match, the BL has regressed

Blueberry_night repped this.
  8. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bundesliga already below Serie A... I'm not hoping much from RB and B04. Thus, Bayern and BVB need to step up their game

9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I don't know. I watched a handful of Serie A games last year (about 10, I'd guess), came free with ESPN+ which I had for other reasons, and the soccer was not very interesting. Lazio and Napoli were okay to watch. I didn't watch any Juventus. I watched some bottom of the table matches. Bad, boring soccer. I watched most of the Bundelsiga matches last season and the matches were, on average, more interesting.

My point is, I watch soccer to be entertained and also I hope my team wins. I don't think any Bundesliga fan should have any jealousy for Serie A fans, just pity for the crap soccer you have to watch if you follow that league right now. Only mitigated by some tiny marginal success at Champions League. Just my opinion, obviously, but based on actual watching of games.

10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Serie A is boring. Juventus demolish every other club playing a defensive brand of football. Unless you're watching Atlanta or Napoli it's not worth the time and effort.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Where does all this pessimism come from? Last year we were very unlucky to face Tottenham in the middle of an injury crisis. Reus, who was actually very reliable, happened to miss just 6 weeks or so and our season fell apart.

Now we have made monumental improvements to the first team.

Hummels in ability and leadership is vastly ahead of Diallo or the young Zagadou.
    Schulz is leagus above any of our left backs.
    Brandt is infinity better than Larsson or Raphael, with the ability to improve further.

Hazard can provide good cover out wide, and I feel be the striker we need.

The worry is the midfield. I hear Weigl is available to leave, but he and Dahoud turn 24 this season. It's time for these two to step up. They are the missing pieces in the team. If even one of them steps up, then I wouldn't fear any team in the world.

Bayern are still incomplete, because the the they need 4 key signings. 3 of them are virtually guaranteed whether this season or at some point: Werner, Sane and Havertz. They still need a midfielder, who can control the game.

MtnGardener repped this.
  12. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    As far as Champions League is concerned, I don't expect us to make it past the last 16, remember Favre has NEVER advanced from a knockout round. Leverkusen will be the usual embarrassment they are in Europe.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Tough group for us:
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    Slavia Praha

Leverkusen in a group with Atletico and Juventus.
    City got a very easy group.
    Leipzig, despite being in pot 4, also got a way easier group than us.

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like we will be going out early. Anto Conte and Lionel Messi amongst the opposition is going to make life hell for us.

16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I dont have issue with it if we do... I care about one thing this year and thats winning the BUNDI... screw every other damn thing out there

17. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No reason not to win the group, Barca are beatable and Inter are nothing special.

Why the inferiority complex?

MtnGardener repped this.
  18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Tough group, much worse than I hoped, but we will see just how good we are. We have a chance to set the Dortmund record straight. There is no hiding at this level and we will see early which of our players are ready for the top level.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Inter was like 21 points behind Juve last year. I just hope our players don't think the way you guys do.

20. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Inter is stronger this year with Conte Lukaku Alexis

21. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have you seen Lukaku or Alexis play for Man United? Both have been mediocre for quite a while. Neither would start for BVB imo.

Blueberry_night and Raumdeuter repped this.
  22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe Conte...

Alex C repped this.
  23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We need to show no fear. We should be aiming to go and top this group.We have topped group's with a better Madrid side. The aim this summer should be the double. I would love for Reus to come out and say we expect to get through the group.

BVBFNM, Blueberry_night and Alex C repped this.
  24. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. Enough with this loser underdog mentality. Go out expecting to win the group. These teams are not unbeatable, go out and attack them.

BVBFNM and MatthausSammer repped this.
  25. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    Really? You guys scare of Inter??? Wow...I thought I am in the Freiburg or Wolfburg forums...