2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Jtsmith1

Jtsmith1 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Although the US, aren't in the 2018 WC thought it would still be good to have a place to discuss the other teams and the groups.

Group A:
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Group B
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

Group C
    France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    South Korea

Group G
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunisia
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Senegal
    Colombia
    Japan

jnielsen repped this.
  2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No real Group of Death, although Group H looks tough because the teams are relatively evenly matched. Russia sure got an easy draw. Group D will be very competitive, too.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm hoping Costa Rica and Poland pull off some offsets. Also go Denmark, Sweden, Panama and Belgium.

nfiniti repped this.
  4. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Scandinavian ancestors, so always root for those teams. Denmark and Iceland are stronger than Sweden. Although Sweden kept Italy from qualifying, their offense needs a whole lot of work.
    I'd also like to see a CONCACAF team do well. I'm leaning toward Panama right now; but not sure they can make it out of their group. Mexico (ugh) should easily advance from group play.

nfiniti repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt Iceland does well. Sweden has more WC entries than all other Scandinavians even if none in the current team has the experience.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't remember any Scandinavian/Nordic teams in 2014 and now there are 3.

Here's fourfour-two's teaser preview
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/world-cup-2018-group-group-what-you-need-know?page=0,3

I always like watching Croatia at WCups for some reason. I guess it's because they play with a lot of heart? :whistling:

They are in group D with Argentina, Iceland and Nigeria.

Saw this story about Klinsmann wanting to manage soceroos in Russia
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...smann-interested-coaching-australia-world-cup

The group is France Peru and Denmark. I see Klinsi beating Peru, drawing Denmark and failing on GD to go through. But I'd definitely be rooting for Roos.

7. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I always root for the Socceroos, largely because I think they have the best nickname in all of international football. I could see them getting through the group stage. Peru looked beatable against New Zealand. And there's often one or two European teams who are exposed at the Cup as imposters who don't belong - Denmark could be one of them.

UEFA's qualifying route isn't very grueling, and they have so many qualifying berths, that a team can get through by hitting a hot streak or getting the right opponents. I'm not saying it's easy, but a pretender can get through UEFA qualifying under the right circumstances.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I am shocked that such an upstanding, above-board country like Russia who's never once been involved in any hint of brazenly naked corruption that would make Tammany Hall say "woah wait a minute" managed to draw the easiest possible combination of teams in their group.

Totally didn't see it coming.

jnielsen, ttrevett, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm trying to think of who will be carrying the American colors into Moskva.

There is Klinsmann as manager of Socceroos.

Is Subotic on the Serbian nat team?

Any other yanks aybody can think of?

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Australia only has 1.5m/year, so they can offer at most 6m/4years.

Klinsmann got 10m/4years with us. It's not common for an international manager to take a lower salary after earning experience.

Also, the Australian media puts other names as much more likely: Graham Arnold (Australian, Sydney FC coach), Ante Milicic (current interim manager, Australian too, worked under Postecoglou) and Slavoljub Muslin, the Serbian manager who just qualified his country for Russia atop the group with Wales and Ireland in it.

Excellency and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Iceland is not part of Scandinavia, : ) however it is a Nordic country.

12. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I'd be interested why you think Denmark could be an imposter? Because of the group they are in?

Having watched them a handful of times in qualifying and looking at their roster I would say 'dark horse"

jnielsen and TOAzer repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    True but it's lingustically more Scandinavian than say Finland is. Though Finland is included in the 'Nordic" labeling.

jnielsen, Suyuntuy and nowherenova repped this.
  14. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Finland is not close to anyone linguistically save Hungary and Basque spain

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Also Estonia. The funny thing is Estonia says they are more Nordic than Baltic (which could be true), but perception wise they will forever be associated with Latvia and Lithuania.

nowherenova repped this.
  16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't USA N&A and it's not fun to come here and see this thread. @dark knight, I vote for moving this elsewhere.

17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Not onbly USA missing, Italy, Netherlands and Chile missing really makes the field look a bit less glamorous. But, sometimes old favorites missing out makes for a more interesting tournament.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what else is new? The host nation always gets a number-one seed whether they deserve it or not, which means that if they don't deserve it, they end up in a group without a true number-one seed. This gift was handed to Mexico in 1986, to the United States in 1994, to both Japan and South Korea in 2002, to South Africa in 2010 and now to Russia in 2018.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    say that when Brazil and Germany don't qualify for 2022

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I hear ya and I'd rather have all the big guns there. But, it can be interesting when some different teams get a chance.

jnielsen and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm happy for the Panamas' of the world. So I def agree with you

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure what arrangement US Soccer made with Klinsmann but if he is still on the payroll, they'd probably welcome a contribution from Australia and maybe it's all the same to Klinsmann whether it's Australia or US who pays.

I kind of got the impression he just wanted the job thru the World Cup. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Klinsmann likely sees Peru as beatable and Denmark as draw-able. That gives him an even chance of getting into R16 and reviving his reputation.

TOAzer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    USA, Netherlands and Italy would not have made the WC any more interesting. Those were sluggish uninteresting teams playing bad football. I thought the Netherlands U17's at the NIke friendlies were more fun to watch than their Senior team. Our U17's and U20's were more fun to watch than our senior team. I worry that we haven't learned our lesson. The poster child for the Bosnia friendly is Kellyn Acosta. Excited?

24. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    #24 skim172, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    I don't think they are imposters. I've only seen them in limited action, but they've looked good when I did.

But often there's at least one European team that disappoints or flops at the World Cup. And often it's a team that got hot recently in qualifying. Denmark didn't make it to the UEFA 2016 (though it was very close), and they had a fairly straightforward route in WC qualifiers - a group of Poland, Montenegro, Romania, Armenia, and Kazakhstan, and then a playoff with Ireland. It's not a murderer's row, exactly.

I don't think Denmark will disappoint - I expect them to handily get through to the Round of 16 and maybe beyond.

But, if we expected it - it wouldn't be a surprise. If I had to identify possible European teams that might flop, I'd say Denmark, Croatia, or Switzerland.

Maybe even Portugal. Euro 2016 was impressive, but it was also kinda freakish considering Portugal won just a single match in regulation. And their WC qualifying group was Switzerland, Hungary, the Faroe Islands, Latvia, and Andorra.

And hell, England's always a good bet to fail in new and exciting ways.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is it flopping if Switzerland do poorly? They have a decent side but no one is expecting much from them. If they make it round of 16, the Swiss are happy. If say Poland fail in the group stage, it's a flop since they have the best striker in the world.