2018 U20 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, I know that this is a women's college board, but there is no other specific thread I can find and all of these kids will be playing in college this fall...

I had been in Europe for the past two weeks, and my wife and I took advantage of the situation to make the six hour drive down from Paris to take in the US-Japan game this evening.

I won't comment extensively, and would certainly appreciate comments from any of you who saw the game on TV.

From the stands, I was frankly appalled at the coaching and strategy on the American side. For 3/4 of the game is was kick ball straight up the field on most every possession and the Japanese were well prepared defensively. What a waste of talent!

The last 20 minutes were interesting, which coincidentally was when our three subs came in and we actually started crossing the ball and had a few decent chances. (The US Soccer write up is through strong red white and blue glasses and for the most part tells a story about different game than I saw.)

Comments?

Perhaps more later.

2. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    FYI there are 56 comments on the USA womens forum under the u20 thread. I am sure you have much interesting to share. probably should repost it there.

If the USA continue to play poorly, then the college kids may be home to their respective teams relatively soon and the college season will not be much impacted.

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerhunter,
    Your input is always appreciated.
    There are 2 more threads on the U-20's WWC 2018. Here you go:

Under "US Women" -
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/u20-world-cup-thread.2085759/page-3#post-36977764

Under "Women's International" -
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/france-fifa-u-20-women‘s-world-cup-2018.2033199/page-7#post-36977667

By the way, I'm jealous.
    I was in France last year. It was wonderful.
    Enjoy your stay there.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As others mentioned, there are already other threads about U-20 WWC and the discussions about yesterday's game should be moved there.

Anyway, I was at the game too yesterday (supporting Japan :giggle:). Where were you seated? Maybe we were close.

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I believe that you were sitting next to me in C section, and the end of row B. You had your computer, no?

I did not suspect it was you and consequently did not introduce myself formally although I did enjoy chatting with you a few times briefly, -initially about how the public address announcer so butchered the names of the American players that even those of us who knew all of the names could not figure out which player she was introducing and how it must be ever worse for the Japanese players. I'm sorry we did not get the opportunity to chat more.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #6 blissett, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Yes, I was in row B, seat #40, with my laptop! :)

So, yes, I remember talking with you in some sparse occasions, maybe also about the disallowed goal for Japan in first half, since that scramble in the opposite box was basically unreadable from our position and without replays.

Next time I should remember that, when I am watching an USWNT game alongside an US fan it is not unlikely that he's a fellow BigSoccerian. :giggle:

From what you've written, I suppose your stop in Concarneau for the game was an "one of" and there won't be a chance to meet again on Thursday at the next game, right?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #7 Soccerhunter, Aug 7, 2018
    You assume correctly, we will be in Switzerland starting tomorrow until next week and then back to the US.

Yes, you and I did the best we could on that disallowed goal. The referee initially pointed at the center spot and trotted in that direction, but then there was confusion and I thought I saw the line ref at the far corner holding up her flag and thought it might be an offside. As you say, reviewing re-plays, is always good!

Thanks for your good write ups and photos.

blissett repped this.
  8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #8 Soccerhunter, Aug 7, 2018
    And thanks to the rest of you who pointed out the threads elsewhere on Big Soccer. I did not realize that the "WWC" included all of the age groups.

I basically agree with all of the comments about the tactics employed. I went down to Concarneau hoping for a good game from the US girls. But I was disappointed for most of the game by clueless passing sequences followed by silly direct lobs to one of our forwards who seemed to be expected take it from there but instead lost ball after ball into the hands of a well prepared Japanese defense.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great reading this interchange. Will the two of you be in France next year for the WWC? If so, maybe we can meet. Other BS posters may be there too.

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I will be in France in the initial rounds next year as my daughters college team will be touring and have a few scrimmages in London/Paris Cant wait

cpthomas repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It mostly depends on my schedule at job (that I still don't know much about at the moment): unluckily for me, the WWC is scheduled from 7th of June to 7th of July, that's really awful for my job. :unsure: I would have really preferred if the tournament had been planned a month later.
    Maybe, if some games are scheduled in French towns that are quite close to Italy (not in Brittany! :x3:) I could arrange to come watching some games in the week-ends and then come back to work during the week. I'll have to pray, when the draw will happen, that Japan will have their group in Nice, or Grenoble; I guess Lyon (Kumagai's home!) or Montpellier could also be ok, but please, no Rennes or Le Havre! :unsure:

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm afraid that the wife and I blew our savings on this trip, and next year will be spent staying at home eating hot dogs and beans.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and cpthomas repped this.