2018 U.S. Soccer Presidential Election

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sachsen, Dec 5, 2017.

1. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said you could ignore all my comments on JK and the technical director's job. But since you couldn't do that:

"Indeed, a technical director has to think big-picture and long-term about how to create the right infrastructure for developing talent, while the head coach must think in short-term, granular terms about the senior team’s day-to-day operation"
    https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...d-bruce-arena-usmnt-technical-director-112316

In other words exactly what I've been saying. The technical director's job is to develop a long-term plan for a system that will help promising youth players develop into full national team players. Yes, in the short term that likely means getting players to Europe. That is clearly not the long term plan. The USSF did not invent the position of technical director because they needed someone to help them make use of Europe's developmental system. The position is about creating an American development system even if that means still feeding into the European club system in the short term.

How many ways can I agree with you that MLS is not as good as Europe before you are satisfied? I agree with you that the top US talent is likely to benefit from playing in Europe. I agree with you that MLS might be 20 years away from providing the training and competition of top Euro leagues. You keep telling me I'm wrong, when I keep agreeing with you. We agree. MLS is many years away from where we want it to be. Now how do we get there? This is where someone with a long term plan would have some ideas. That's what I want. I want the USMNT coach and the USSF President and the MLS owners and the USMNT technical director and youth clubs and everyone to think about a future in which we don't have to send our best players abroad. I read Hope Solo's platform too. I don't think she's any more qualified than Wynalda but her platform was at least largely focused on how to make the American system better. Sure it is a little bit of blowing sunshine, but if Wynalda can't even pay minimal lip service to the idea that the US has a great deal of potential to be more than a producer of raw talent that gets sent over to Europe to be polished, then what hope is there that he can actually make it happen?

What is the goal to build US soccer in this country that I'm not smart enough to see? As I said in my previous post, I'm here to discuss how Wynalda's plan puts us on this road to self-sufficiency. I don't see it. Feel free to explain it.

2. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc repped this.
  3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I can't drop your not understanding between the usmnt and ussf president position because thats the basis of what you are wrong about. There is also a usynt technical director. you are blaming the wrong people for the wrong things.
    I think you should take a step back from ur positions and read into what the jobs entitle and you will learn that you are mad at the wrong people. the usmnt td doesn't have anything to do with youth soccer across the country and either does the usynt td.

someday in the future maybe mls will become an average league...thats a good thing and a goal. If someone is running to be president of ussf in feb they need to understand that mls needs to improve and isn't a good place for the best players to improve. wynalda understands all of this as does everyone but you so being upset that they understand but you doing everything you can to act like they dont so you can be upset about it is so immature and silly.

4. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    The Shores of Puget Sound
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MLS is an above average professional soccer league right now.

KCbus, onefineesq, Ismitje and 7 others repped this.
  5. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    by above average do you mean like above average or do you mean like above average if terrible is average mls isn't terrible but its not like a good league.

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what you're using to compute the average.

If we're talking about compared to the elite leagues of Europe, South America and Mexico, than no.

If we're talking about every D1 league world wide, then yes, MLS is above average right now.

Len, TOAzer, Roger Allaway and 1 other person repped this.
  7. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    According to who???? on what metrics?

I'm pretty sure that MLS quality is quite well. No league in the world can compare with the top 5 European leagues. Not even european leagues. So stop smoking crack or at leats pass it around.

TOAzer, sitruc, The Franchise and 2 others repped this.
  8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    well if you say its not equal to the elite leagues of europe, south america and mexico..then its average at best.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be your definition of the elite leagues of Europe and South America?

SA: Argentina, Brazil, who else?
    Europe: England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, who else?

MLS is better than the SPL, better than the A-League, better than any league in Scandanavia (See Early Season Results, Minnesota United for proof), better than a whole bunch of D1 leagues around the world. Hence...above average.

TOAzer and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's silly to judge leagues based on their top to bottom quality. You should only compare the best team in each league, since they are the ones representing the league in international competition. With that metric MLS is clearly below the SPL, the J League, the K League, a lot of middle eastern leagues, MILES below Mexico.

In a champions league of African teams, MLS would be mid-table. Is that really where you want the league to be???

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's your metric. Which, in case of leagues like the SPL, it's the same team or two every stinking year. That's not a good league. That's a couple of decent sized fish in a small pond.

Sort of like saying the West Coast Conference is a great basketball league because of Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    If they do well in the tournament (the only thing that matters in college bball) than they are indeed a great basketball league.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we differ. Gonzaga & St. Mary's = great teams. Great league = when the other eight teams (or at least some of them) start to challenge them and get bids to the tournament themselves along with the Bulldogs and Gaels.

Full disclosure...my alma mater being one of those eight.

14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    according to everyone who knows anything really.

love the 'no league in the world can compare'...comment because thats exactly what they have to compare to lol.

if you say they are below europe
    if you are comparing leagues you have to compare the whole league, if you are saying best team..thats different.

I mean teams like dc united have to be considered.

that is also where you did make things easier on mls.

If you take all leagues I think you'd have to consider bundesliga 2 and the english championship atleast on part with mls(probably better). I'd also say that the leagues you think mls is better then are bad leagues. I mean the scottish premier league is terrible. They have one ok team that gets slaughtered every year in champions league.

mls is an average league at best.

15. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KCbus, Ismitje, Grumpy in LA and 5 others repped this.
  16. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Words have meanings.

Average(definition): ...expressing the central or typical value in a set of data...

The set of data is the 180-odd professional soccer leagues in the world.

The average is in the 90s. In terms of quality, MLS is no worse than 30.

MLS is an above average soccer league right now.

I meant exactly what I said.

(And if you want to include all lower professional divisions as separate leagues(I wouldn't) MLS is no worse than 50 out of literally 100s.)

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    This is hilarious. Trouble with the concept of average in a weak attempt to troll. This is why I love bigsoccer.

18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I get it...nope they are not an above average league. average at best.

19. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Got hooked, I guess.

I mean, what was I thinking, no one over the age of 8 who communicates in English would be so stupid as to not know the meaning of average.

Anyhoo, how 'bout that election. Me, I'm hoping Hope Solo gets the job.

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Well you know, that, and MLS is lower than dog poop barley worthy of producing national team players, but that's a given. :ROFLMAO:

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the thread starter, I would like to ask everyone to please drop the subject of comparing league quality between MLS & Europe -- a topic which has been beat to death ad nauseam on these boards -- and stick to the thread topic, which is the USSF presidential election.

Thanks.

22. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Mea Culpa.

(I have great difficulty ignoring errors of fact and logic, be they on subject or not.)

JasonMa repped this.
  23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

ok...its a disaster I think wynalda might win...he has no plan at this point just secret ideas.

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?????? So if Paris St. Germain wins Champions League, then Ligue 1 is now superior to the Bundesliga? Premier? La Liga?

Magnus Carlsen is currently the best [human] chess player on Earth... so by your logic Norwegian Chess is the best on Earth...take that you Russians, Indians, Chinese, Yanks, etc....

Logic, she ain't what she used to be.

25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ok, here's a basic question. How are the voters and when is the election?