2018 Transfers

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    thought I would start a cumulative transfer thread. Please add those you have personal knowledge of

Alea Hyatt. UNC to USC
    Natalie Jacobs. Notre Dame to USC

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Wow! I really do not know how the transfer process works... How did these two excellent players decide it was time to transfer to USC? Reminds me of the transfer build up at USC resulting in their national championship in 2016.

I see that Jacobs is on the Top Drawer list of transfers, but where is the news of Hyatt?

Jacobs is one of Notre Dame's top players. Huge loss for the Irish.

Hyatt was a very promising freshman at UNC this past season. She got significant playing time and started a few games, At UNC this typically means that she would be a regular for three more years. I talked to her mother in August at a game and the word was that she liked the team and school, and was working for more PT. (I was pleased to see that she got more PT as the season went on.) Homesick for SOCAL?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hyatt is enrolled in spring at USC. Socal girl along with Jacobs. I assume as well that there is a homesick issue. They are both YNT players that have friends in SoCal as well

4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I was at a camp last year and heard Dorrance say they weren't going to recruit Cali anymore.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Looking at unc rosters over time, there have been 9 unc players fom Cali this Millenium. Five more going back to 1998, which as far as they list. A couple were transfers, several couldn’t be called starters.

But he would have done without the services of Tiffany Roberts, Lorrie fair, Whitney Engen...

6. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    Gabby Daly to Auburn to FSU. Will have 4 years of eligibility remaining.

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Angeline Daly? Fsu to Auburn?

8. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    I do. Had a brain fart. Long day on the road yesterday.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  9. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    makes total logical sense. Between Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, pepperdine and Santa clara you have every type
    of school a parent could want with super high quality soccer too. Given UNCs style of play, you also would get more playing time at those schools also. also, a parent who's not wealthy would have to think twice about in state tuition at Cal/UCLA vs. out of state at UNC. And the weather is not bad in CA either.

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I cannot imagine Anson saying he wouldn't want to recruit southern Cali kids. Why limit yourself? Especially for the part of the country that produces the most YNT players? Chris Ducar does the lion's share of recruiting for UNC and he will take a look at those kids. Emily Colton is verbally committed for 2021 and seventh grader Olivia Moutrie (yes a SEVENTH GRADER, so gross) is committed there for 2023 and both are from California.

11. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    It's not a binding thing anyway. Girls start tearing their ACLs 15/16. Of the small number of girls on my kids teams I've seen 4 kids tear ACLs all 15-16 age, one tore them on both legs. Academically and athletically committing to college in 7th grade is nutso.

12. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Some parent, presumably from California, asked him straight out if they recruit the state and he said they are no longer actively doing so but if players are interested in UNC, staff will have to be assured that it will be a four year commitment. I am impressed with their ability to weed out the serious soccer fanatics from the greek risks, from even the most talented kids. I think after being burned on transfers, they've honed their instinct to read players and flight risk. That young kid was at the camp too *Johnny Manziel money sign*

13. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    ACL tear by age . matches what I've seen peaks 15-16. upload_2018-1-9_10-0-26.png

14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Most likely that's reflecting only the peak of post pubertal athletic participation. You would need to normalize for participation in activities associated with tears to draw any conclusions related to age as a factor.

15. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    pretty sure there are more girls playing soccer at 13 and 14 than 15 and 16. someone can check. there is clearly maximum risk 15-17 in girls for ACL. I was shocked that the ratio of girls to boys tears is actually worse for basketball than soccer ; even though total tear rate is higher for soccer. I'd always thought girls ACL tears were a soccer specific thing. (part of the point is kids committing to colleges at 15 are just entering the risk part of this; another reason it seems committing early is not ideal.)

16. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Yeah that's why I said post puberty. Its clear that hip angle and estrogen possibly itself contribute to the ACL tears in women. 13/14 lesser number of "post pubertal" females.

17. crane65

crane65 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    What are the recruiting rules regarding transfers? Is college or university allowed to initiate contact?

18. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    No, not unless the player has been released from their team. The player would have to sit out a year if they choose a school in the same conference, unless their current coach allows them to stay in conference, which most do not.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #19 MRAD12, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    This is the second high profile transfer out of ND in the last few years. Not blaming anyone or anything, but what is going on? Notre Dame used to be a school where players played 4 years and expected to be in contention for a National Championship every year. Adriana Leon is the only player of significance that I can recall in the past transferring from ND to Florida, after winning a National Championship in 2010.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is a Notre Dame phenomenon. There are plenty of transfers going on, of good players. I think good players now see themselves as possibly having a post-college life in soccer, in Europe if not in the NWSL. They start college somewhere and then begin re-thinking (which is sort of a generational thing, too). Maybe especially when their first college stops are in weather-impaired areas (from a soccer perspective).

Seriously on the weather thing, looking at the group currently at the USWNT camp, of 26 players there's Short from the Chicago area. After that, there's Sauerbruun from the St. Louis area, then Franch from Kansas, Horan and Pugh from Colorado, and one from Idaho. After that, they're mostly from coastal areas. Maybe South Bend and surrounding areas simply aren't great weatherwise for players aspiring to post-college careers? It that's the case -- who knows? -- it wouldn't bode well for Notre Dame's future.

Fitballer repped this.
  21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Just as I suspected. Us older people are a lot sturdier than kids nowadays.

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The whole idea of committing a 7th grader is despicable. I like Anson and in the past found him to be a classy individual, but this changes my impression of him. UNC in the last 5 years in reverse order in the NCAA Tournament has finished in the Elite Eight, national semis, second round, Sweet 16, and Elite Eight. No national championships to speak of which used to be their regular right. So maybe they feel the pressure and have to resort to these tactics of super early recruiting. But if this is how they see this what they have to do to beat Stanford, UCLA, etc. I doubt this will work. This kid won't even come to campus in 6 years, who knows if Anson will even be coaching then?

Also the idea that UNC will break a verbal commitment has caught up to them. I bet that is why some kids choose not to go there now. Look at Nickolette Driesse, a kid who had her offer snatched away right before NLI date. I was blasted by UNC fans for calling that out. She went to have a good career elsewhere at Florida State and then transferred to Penn State. Kids won't go to UNC because this is what they do. PDA, one of the strongest clubs in the country, won't send kids to UNC now because of what they did to one of their kids. Make your bed, sleep in it.

olelaliga repped this.
  23. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Hampton University lost over half their freshman class. Their freshman GK transferred to UTA and one of their freshman defenders transferred to another school in Virginia. A Starting Freshman midfielder not returning for violating university rules. Another freshman international player
    having issues with her credentials. Ready or not Big South here they come!

24. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    She won a National championship at both Penn state and FSU.

25. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #25 Holmes12, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Notre Dame is dreary, cold, continental interior. Can't compete in a southerly coastal conference and by extension, nationally. Soccer is caught in the self feeding vortex of less supply (driven off by 5 am daily regimens to sorority row) and widening talent gap (coagulating southerly/coastal P5). The clock has struck twelve on thee. Penn State has seen it's best day nationally as well, but will always be better off closer to the I-95 corridor and as a result, generally a ruler of B10.

I personally love Northwestern and Chicago for a kid (hate the colors though) which everybody equates with Duke and Stanford. Why not close in women's soccer? Too far from the concentrated money. Too north. Too interior.

"Rudy" did more to kill Notre Dame sports than anything else. Made it look stodgy, corny and in football terms, racially insensitive. not overtly, it just inadvertently comes off as a white man's school. The football team went straight into the tanque, despite NBC. Tough choice...SEC belles? Notre Dame?...hmmmm.