2018 SuperDraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that outsourcing player development hasn't gone so well for the Revs, I wonder if it makes more sense to keep them at home. They may spend more time on the bench, but the Revs would be in better position to overse their development. If playing time is needed, maybe they can work something out with a local PDL side.

2. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, that hasn't worked out very well so far.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I like this pick - he should bring more skill to the position than we usually see. But, if he's seeing the field, it will mean that there are problems with at least one key member of the roster.

Hopefully Friedel realizes that getting his young guys playing time, whether it's with loans, USL time or just rotating them into the Revs lineup, is critical to their development and has been a major area of neglect.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that 4 third round picks and 7 fourth round picks were passes, I wouldn't expect much from Samayoa.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 firstshirt, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    I believe BB said when Hartford gets their USL side they plan on working something out with them which is great but that is not until 2019. I think I posted earlier there are like 7 or 8 teams within 100 miles of Foxboro which are viable options for loan deals. Hell I would not even mind if some how Freidel was able to send a couple over the pond to train with Spurs reserve side

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of going to Spurs, I'm not sure continuing to loan players out to distant USL sides is really working. The issue to me is control. Those teams have concerns other than developing players for the Revs. So far, I don't think the draft picks and homegrown players loaned out have benefited that much

rkupp repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When have they tried that? Loaning Herivaux to San Antonio for only 5 games isn't enough. The only player to get significant time in the USL is Matt Turner. We don't know how that has worked out yet, but he is still with the Revs, which is something.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they need actual game time play. They will not be getting that in MLS unless they shine in preseason or someone gets hurt. I have no issue sending these guys out as long as there is an an arrangement in terms of playing time

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, that's the issue, isn't it? You can loan guys out, but if the team isn't that interested in giving them p/t, then it isn't any better than practicing in Foxboro.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we've come full circle.

If the Revs had their OWN D-2 team, they would be the ones making sure player X gets lots of minutes at their preferred position for him. Unlike some random USL team who happens to have a more seasoned player in the same position, so our guy either rides the pine or plays somewhere else where he is less comfortable.

And this Hartford thing is nice, but who's to say that team is going to be run the way the Revs like it? They will have their own management with their own objectives (like trying to be competitive and entertaining enough to develop fan interest to the point where they can remain in business), not to kowtow to the Revs because they want a certain player to take precedence over one of their own players.

Argyle repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but when Herivaux was with San Antonio, he played. The Revs didn't leave him there long enough.

The problem in this equation is not on the San Antonio end, but the Foxboro end.

Others MLS clubs seem to be able to make it work, funny how only the Revs (and MIN so far) can't seem to figure it out.

Crooked, pwykes and MM66 repped this.
  12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that ownership of a D2 side is required. It would be nice, but let's be realistic here. This is the Revs we are talking about. They have been dragged along kicking and screaming by the league as it has evolved. If they actually entered into a real affiliation, something that they actively tried to utilize and worked to benefit themselves and their partners, I think it could work without shared ownership. I think geographic proximity is critical for this because they weren't growing their own fan base and brand by having a connection to Rochester. But they could by having a connection to a team in CT, Western MA, NH, Maine, RI while getting the added benefit of player development dividends.

As far as I know, the Bruins don't own the P-Bruins, the Red Sox don't own all of their affiliates, and the Celtics don't own the Red Claws. But if the Revs were serious about supporting their affiliate with players and working together to develop a true professional player development pipeline, it could work and they wouldn't have to own it. But if its just another Rochester type of paper relationship, it wouldn't matter if they played at Walpole High School.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not defending the Revs here. I blame them for loan agreements not working well for the players involved. They are responsible for negotiating a plan that works, if they can't/won't find some other way to get their developing players the playing experience they need.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact there is a 4th round seems like a collosal waste of time and resources. End it at 3 rounds, it's 2018.