2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LastOfEleven

LastOfEleven Member

May 1, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As has been said previously and appears to be true: All your Ghanaians are belong to us.

GK pick really points to other things brewing.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do recall GGG talking about wanting to have 4 keepers for better full-field, simultaneous practices. So we'll see. Could well be a situation where one of them is loaned out. Or it's just competition.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Kamara has gone to LA.

Zardes and 400k in ham money in return

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not happy about this trade one bit. Kamara > Zardes. By far.

5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m ok with if we sign another striker like Garcia

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  6. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Not a trade I would have made but remember Finlay came alive after he was traded. Maybe Zardes can be reborn here.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Ola been as efficient as he could be during his time in Columbus? No, but Zardes sucks. He's only good when he has service and other players to create space for him. With Meram also potentially leaving, Pipa aging, and Santos being meh, I don't see Zardes scoring goals like he did a couple years back. He'll do better than last year for sure, but not as well as Ola. Zardes is an athlete with little soccer IQ, simple as, stereotypical American soccer player.

This team is gonna tank this year. In stadium atmosphere will be terrible. This won't be the big party the Sunshine Brigade and the SG's and #SaveTheCrew want you to think it will be like.

I wish the team would just leave now, next year will be torture.

the_rickler and hangthadj repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figures. Kamara leaves and Meram is still here.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team won't be here for much longer, your pain will be over soon.

Jim Bach and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to be a total downer...

11. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    I am tending to agree with you. And I will miss Ola, and also Miram once he is moved.

But I can't really blame the two for wanting out. One lame duck year in C-bus, two years in an unidentified temporary facility in Austin. That's three seasons of their careers. Plus Ola wanted more money in the first place.

Yes, this last year is not going to be fun.

porchlight and Kyle Crew repped this.
  12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going backwards

TRUJDUB, Kyle Crew and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm old enough to remember when Kei Kamara carried this team on his back to MLS Cup, and when fans turned on him for asking for more money. And then further for the whole PK debacle, but seeds of hate were planted with the fanbase during Kei's ask for more money.

Fast forward a few years. Ola is not good enough to lead the team to MLS Cup. He asks for more money. He doesn't receive it. He demands a trade. Will Crew fans treat him with the same disdain they did to Kei Kamara? Probably not. As Andres Mendoza said, the fanbase isn't that knowledgable.

This isn't the end of the world. Ola is a serviceable MLS striker, but nothing more. Zardes is a serviceable MLS player with some potential.

Our team is dying. Ola was never gonna save it. In fact he wanted out. Adios. Enjoy the expected goals on the coast.

hardhead, TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  14. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Welcome 2016 all over again....the team Fratass Precourt built..Austin must be full of idiots if they want to inherit this Horse Thief

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So Bridgeview just moved Accam to Philly for a boat load of TAM nonsense.

Wonder if they are going to go after Meram.

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be fair, there is another reason for wanting a trade.... that pesky relocation business. Meram wants out. I'm sure Trapp and Crognale will never play in Austin. Probably Williams and Steffen too. Pipa obviously.

Dude, Kei is a giant cvnt. What, 10 teams in 12 years now with his move to Vancouver? One has proven to be a malcontent and locker room cancer. The other has been a good teammate and one of the leagues top scorers the past two years. I'll let you figure out which is which.

I know you're a Kei fanboy, and I agree that Ola wasn't a perfect fit and he did waste too many chances, but he did things the right way, professionally and respectfully. Ola never got into a hissy fit over a PK, then shit on Pipa in the post game on-field interview, then shit on Pipa again in the post game locker roon interview, then shit on Pipa again a couple days later, as well as GB, when GB repremanded him for acting like a douche. Don't act like Kei was some saint. I know you have a clear bias here, but let's try and remain objective.

Dear lord, team is leaving in less than a year, AND WE'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT KEI FVCKING KAMARA, WHO HAS BEEN TRADED FROM THE TEAM WE TRADED HIM TO BECAUSE HE CRIED ABOUT HIS ROLE THERE AS WELL.

ibrew, Minnman, KCbus and 4 others repped this.
  17. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Realest

west ham sandwich and Kyle Crew repped this.
  18. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure is a lot of talk about the team leaving....I didn’t realize Austin stop working for a stadium site was the nail in the coffin.

Yes threat of relocation is making players think twice about playing here And we will take a step back as a result BUT it will still be our Crew.

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until someone from Cbus steps up with actual money to buy the team, and not just wishful thinking and blind optimism, I see no reason to think Precourt will stay simply out of the kindness of his heart.

Call me a cynic if you must, but all the talk of actually, like legitimately saving the Crew, has been nothing more than half-hearted talk. I mean, even the mayor and CP said they were leaving the negotiating table until MLS changed their attitudes, which isn't gonna happen. So....

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean Real*i*st?

SourCream&OnionUtd and chr1st repped this.
  21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but don't you just get an academy keeper or a local college keeper to fill in for those practice situations?

I mean your 3rd keeper wont even see the field for a friendly let alone your 4th goalie. 4 goalies is a waste of a roster spot.

Heck hire a new "assistant goalie coach", some guy who played major college but isn't playing professionally, and use him as a practice keeper and mentor him into a future coach (he'll need some reason to be a practice keeper instead if finding another day job)

odave, Kyle Crew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly there have been offers.

Now one of those was Brewdog's plan of them buying the team then selling it to the fans, which the league doesn't want, but there was supposed to have been others.

Now I tend to think, along with someone else in here, that the plan is to move and sell. I half wonder if the plan is to move to Austin, play in a temp spot a couple years, then move/sell to San Antonio condering the Spurs went so quietly into the night.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Calm down, Kyle. I never said Kei Kamara was a saint. Then again neither I nor MLS ever said Ola Kamara was "Humanitarian of the Year."

You can scream and talk about people bringing up Kei but it was The Nordecke who spent the past 2 years singing "we have the better Kamara." Try to remain objective.

I'm just curious of the fanbase's take on a player who made it clear he didn't want to be hear and got his wish.

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that Ola wanted to leave?

Why is it that Meram wants to leave?

Why is it that Kei left Columbus?

Why is it that Kei left NE?

There ya go.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #150 hangthadj, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Right. Only one of these players didn't request a trade from Columbus.

ibrew repped this.