2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I got a good laugh today when an ESPN FC article mentioned Columbus as one of the clubs interested in Chicharito. Others listed were DC United, LAFC, Columbus Crew, Real Salt Lake, and Colorado Rapids. I'm sure we'll make a competitive offer (I am making my No f*****g way face). What we are really in the running for is trading a DP slot to LAFC, LAG, Seattle or NYCFC for some K tape and new water bottles.

2. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's funny that MLS feels the need to list some of the clubs they don't give a shit about. Saves them from the true headline of: All MLS Teams in LA and NYC Scramble to Land Chicharito.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando was heavily linked last year tbf, couldn't agree on wages with him though.

4. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chr1st repped this.
  5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, though I'd assume that either 1) other than sorto (if he's the former LA right back I'm thinking of) Crognale might be one of their more technically gifted defenders at that level or more likely 2) whoever made that lineup knows nothing about the team and they are playing with 3 CBs and its not an accurate lineup.

SourCream&OnionUtd and Tobias C repped this.
  6. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youre probably right and I haven't watched any of his games to know any different. I just know I've seen him in their starting 11 graphic at least a few times now at LB or RB.

7. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Higs resigned through 2019.

Grouchy, POdinCowtown, chr1st and 3 others repped this.
  8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should this be taken as a good sign sir? ;)

Grouchy, GoCrew1996 and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this news on FB.
    I am running with it. Yippee-********ing-ki-yay!

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Gonna be that guy....

The Higuain re-signing sorta sucks. I know that we have an extremely sentimental fanbase especially given everything that is going on with the potential move, but at some point you need to cut bait and move on. Higuain will be 35 at the end of his now extended contract.

Our other recent DP signings of Mensah and Santos have been underwhelming at best. We bought down Mensah so I believe that Valenzuela may actually be a DP now, though I could be wrong. Regardless look at the production from these stiffs.

At a time where the league is moving away from signing older DP's and bringing in young and exciting talent, we are running a 34 year old Higuain out there to start 2019? At a time when we should be planning for a replacement we are instead being sentimental. At a time where the rest of the league is being bold with their Designated Player signings the Columbus Crew is, as usual, being left behind.

Others have mentioned to me that Sosa was brought in to be Higuain's heir. If so the timing of this extension makes even less sense. It's another year gone for Sosa's development. Really, the extension makes little sense for Columbus, and the timing of it even less....

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang you love being that guy. I think you revel in being that guy, and we love you for it. You play the part better than anyone. Ever.

Of course you are right that resigning Higuain makes poor soccer sense. Puts us behind pace. Throw away DP money. ******** the guy is older than me.

I can only hope we are still talking about a wasted Crew DP slot in a year's time.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Gonna counter that guy. I think Pipa has been great this year. He's still making passes that few on the team can see and he seems to have found his heart again. No problem with this signing.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pipa has also made it clear that he's only interested in playing in columbus. He's re-signing, so...

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That speaks more to the rest of our roster than Pipa.

Higain is a perfectly acceptable DP to roll out there at age 34 and 35 if your team's ambition is to hang around the 4th - 8th places in the East, hope to make the playoffs and pray for some breaks and favorable match-ups.

To make this commitment to Higuain for 2019, only 8 games into this season and in the midst of a 4 game winless streak where the team has managed only 3 goals is bizarre, misguided, and plays to the sentimentality of a wounded fan base.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    A cynic would suggest that is so the the long awkward goodbye can continue for another season.

Leaving a Designated Player spot open for 2020.......

POdinCowtown and hangthadj repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Agree with the first sentence, we could use some better players especially on the wings. Santos is subpar for the money and Martinez/Hansen has not impressed.

Basing a season on a four game streak is rather silly. Pipa has been fine this year and I have no problem locking him up for another season. If I'm wrong, I owe you a Tiki drink.

hangthadj repped this.
  17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the days of 1 or 2 DPs, I would agree. But in this MLS, with 3 DPs plus TAM, etc., that's really half of your starting lineup that can/will be above the max cap salary.

So to say he's going to be one of those 5 players again next year? sure sign me up.

Now if you want to tell me the rest of those 5 above-max-players around him need to be better to really compete, I'll most likely agree.

SourCream&OnionUtd and hangthadj repped this.
  18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer optimist.

19. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Opoku apparently off to St Louis FC on loan through end of year. Thought it was odd that we've been kinda thin in terms of depth at AM positions so far, and he seemed to play quite a bit (and well) preseason, but hasn't been in an 18 yet afaik.

20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm okay with it. He looked promising in preseason and was one of the bigger names in the draft. Berhalter has seemed to be giving Argudo more time than Opoku lately (as far as the rookie wingers go). Don't know if the plan was to send Opoku out on loan all along so he could get significant starting minutes or what.

Mike Grella will be back soon and I would expect that he will be given the opportunity to start over Martinez sooner than later. That would push Martinez to the bench where Hansen has been sitting and for sure push Argudo out of the 18 I suspect....especially with Sosa getting close to coming back as well (he will be the immediate backup to Higuain...a position Argudo has been seeing some time at in scrimmages and such).

So my long winded point is that I think we're gonna be getting some of that depth back soon. Hopefully Gregg sees something he really likes in Opoku and wants him getting big playing time pronto....without throwing him on to the big stage just yet.

Crewmania and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    #521 SourCream&OnionUtd, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Good post. The other thing is, doesn't Opoku take an INTL spot? So it opens one up for the near future. Would give us 2 spots now, and there are almost none left in the league. There was an article about that recently that was stating the price for int'l spots are going up, so Gregg will probably trade one for $175-200k in AM. Not a bad bit of business for a 2nd round pick that has yet to play a minute. We'd still have one slot to bring someone in (or Opoku if he rips up USL) for the summer window and a little extra cash.

Crewmania and Tobias C repped this.
  22. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First place my mind went. {tinfoil hat}

I remember when Pipa was being vague about this being the end of his journey months before the story of MLS and PSV's "exploring options including Austin" broke. I thought - he had to know something...

Then signed to complete 2018. Hopeful

Now will back for 2019. Spark of life.

{/tinfoil hat}

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  23. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where this should go exactly but I don't give a damn about your rules, mom!

GOOD NEWS! We're winning the xG Wars.
    Yum, can't you taste those sweet, sweet simulated points?

I wonder what the Simulated MLS Cup looks like.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happened already, we lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Players Association released the Players Salary Guide. Here's the Crew roster:

Harrison Afful - D - $288,099.96 / $335,599.96
    Lalas Abubakar - D - $68,250.04 / $75,750.04
    Mohammed Abu - M - $175,008.00 / $181,258.00
    Luis Argudo - M - $54,500.04 / $54,500.04
    Ricardo Clark - M - $125,000.04 / $125,000.04
    Artur de Lima - M - $210,000.00 / $210,000.00
    Alex Crognale - D - $95,004.00 / $95,004.00
    Niko Hansen - F - $68,250.04 / $75,750.04
    Mike Grella - F - $195,300.00 / $197,550.00
    Federico Higuain - M - $1,100,000.04 / $1,100,000.04
    Logan Ketterer - GK - $67,500.00 / $67,500.00
    Jonathan Kempin - GK - $80,256.00 / $80,256.00
    Hector Jimenez - M - $159,996.00 / $159,996.00
    Adam Jahn - F - $97,500.00 / $97,500.00
    Ben Lundgaard - GK - $54,500.04 / $54,500.04
    Cristian Martinez - M - $68,915.07 / $73,415.07
    Connor Maloney - D - $55,654.20 / $55,654.20
    Jonathan Mensah - D - $774,996.00 / $868,996.00
    Edward Opoku - F - $75,000.00 / $96,000.00
    Pedro Santos - M - $747,600.00 / $794,600.00
    Gaston Sauro - D - $213,750.00 / $213,750.00
    Zack Steffen - GK - $145,000.00 / $145,000.00
    Eduardo Sosa - M - $99,999.96 / $120,199.96
    Milton Valenzuela - D - $282,000.00 / $313,300.00
    Wil Trapp - M - $500,004.00 / $550,004.00
    Gyasi Zardes - F - $630,000.00 / $630,000.00
    Joshua Williams - D - $200,000.04 / $200,000.04

The first figure is the base salary; the second is the total compensation.

zman31, puttputtfc, Draghignazzo and 2 others repped this.