2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1019643242458034177 is not a valid tweet id

kucsdat, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  2. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    So another international spot. That's at least 2 then. Wonder how much money we have to buy players?

3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Or more likely, how much money KSE can make by selling them to another team.....

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, lots of fans talk about how we always get stuck with Toledo but this is actually only the 12th time he's been the CR for the Rapids since 2013 and only once in that time has he been the ref we've seen the most often that year (4 times in 2015, tied for the lead). He's the ref we've seen the second-most all-time but that's largely because he's had one of the longest careers of MLS refs.

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to some stats provided in the referee forum the two "worst" current refs for the Rapids are Alan Kelly and Ismail Elfath. Kelly has only done 4 Rapids games but has given the Rapids twice as many yellows as their opponent and his only red. We have 2 draws and 2 losses in those games. Elfath has done 15 games and given close to a yellow per game more to the Rapids than the opponents, the only red card to the Rapids, and both PKs to the opponents. We have 4 wins, 4 draws, and 7 losses in those games.

The "best" ref is Edvin Jurisevic who in 12 games has given 4 more yellows and all 3 red cards to Rapids opponents. He has given those opponents 2 more PKs than he's given us. We also have a losing record, 2-4-6, in his games. Second is probably Jorge Gonzales who in 24 games has given the Rapids 2 more yellows than their opponents but 1 less red card and 3 more PKs. We have a winning record with him, 11-4-9.

Generally I don't think the specific refs make that much of a difference to a team, but I know some fans have other beliefs on that subject.

kucsdat, fortcollins, Stuart95 and 3 others repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1020022696741081090 is not a valid tweet id

I wonder how active Pádraig and Hudson are in the current transfer market. They have two international slots to work with. Are they going to looking to Europe at all or will they wait till January to look for foreign talent?

In MLS are there any players available who could improve the club's talent level? Agudelo? Plata? Are they still hunting for a #10 and #9?

7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure @JasonMa went through this, With Aigner leaving like he did we have no salary cap left.

9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Really? Wow.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    He'd be perfect for the Rapids, especially if they tear out some stands and lengthen the field. Great for longballs to Usain. Bolt might not be able to stop the ball, but you're not outkicking him.

MrPerfectNot and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Will someone who can get to the Rapids F.O please find out what has happened to Serna. He seems to have disappeared from the team, kind of like what happened to Aigner!! When was the last time we saw him on the field or even on the bench?

Andy126 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not no cap, just that we probably didn't save much cap with him being bought out. With Mason gone we have some room to work with.

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I too am wondering what's happened to him. My guess is he doesn't fit with what Hudson expects on the pitch. Too bad as he can provide service and an occasional goal. I like him at wingback when the Rapids are pressing for a goal and as an attacking mid.

Andy126 repped this.
  14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The center ref does make a difference, but not because of bias. Every ref has a bent. Some don't like back-talk and are quick to card dissent. Others card a show of cleats, regardless of contact, because of dangerousness. Others prefer at least two stern lectures before booking players. Some of the old school refs resent any communication by players who aren't sporting the armband. A couple of the refs card for diving. One or two are frequently out of position and anticipate calls to compensate. Some lean on the ARs a lot, especially if the ARs are experienced. Any ref is capable of a facepalm moment on occasion, because they are human.

Unofficial Rule No. 1 of soccer is "know your ref." The Rapids have been between clumsy and poor in this department as long as I've been following the team, since late in the Houghton voyage. That's both a coaching and experienced player issue. Successful teams "read" the ref and the coaching staff and older players make sure the younger players and league newbies are briefed on the ref. The Gals, Columbus, and DC United come to mind as teams that play to the ref fairly consistently. The Rapids have it in their power to improve their team card stats and to reign in the card collectors.

SccrDon, jayd8888, Andy126 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fully agree with every part of this, especially the part about how the Rapids have always been poor about adjusting to the ref during the game.

My point was that I believe seeing that a given ref is assigned the game does nothing to the chances of the Rapids winning or not, unlike some fans believe.

SccrDon, fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I want to see Bolt and McBean up top! The season's lost. If only the Rapids had a sense of humor.

sambakid17, Maarten van 242 and Andy126 repped this.
  18. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Nice! The McBean-Bolt tandem.

We could party like it's 2010 again. Just like we had the "Thunder" and "Lightning" combo of Casey and Cummings all over again... noting the "Bolt" of "Lightning" ;-).

And think about it. McBean is just like Casey's "Thunder", except that he's even slower, isn't a scoring threat, and can't hold/possess the ball because he falls over just about every time someone touches him or challenges for the ball.
    Other than that, they're exactly the same player.

COMtnGuy, jayd8888 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And the hair.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the Barnes signing was to create a B+B Goal Factory with Boli. Somehow I don't think they'll top the charts like the C+C Goal Factory did.

21. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Same with Hairston.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000