2018 San Jose Earthquakes preseason thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 5, 2017.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Outstanding!

3. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wondo's motor is amazing and underrated and hasn't seemed to fade with age.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    So they are allowing comments on the MLS (malignant Lazy Shitheads) website? ******** them for blocking me, ******** them right in the ear. :mad:

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Is anyone else concerned that they've only really played 2 games against MLS or higher level of competition? There was the Portland game but that was just as camp was starting. Seems to me that in previous years it's been more; they are usually involved in some kind of preseason tournament with at least 3 games just for that.

The Reno games are great for building confidence and working on stuff but at some point you have to deal with the fact that the competition will be pretty good too. The things that went so swimmingly against Reno may not go quite as well against Minnesota, or certainly against KC in KC.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right up there with my concern about style of play. :)

And whether the secondary kit is fashionable.

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. At this point, weve played 3 or 4 against MLS competition. The staff should have enough to go off of that I dont think 1 more is really all that needed.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The real awakening will be the road game in KC. They play Minnesota at home and then go to KC after a 2-week break, though maybe they play Leon during that break?

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leon is the break after the SKC game. Yeah, the 2 week gap on the first game isn't ideal. But those are the breaks.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait!! Bring on the season!!!

I'm pretty sure the team wants a little more prep time, but I don't have to suit up. I'm just going to throw on a jersey, crack a beer, and yell at the TV. (Which will probably scare the dogs.)

GO QUAKES!!!!

- Mark

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    By my count it's 2, plus the Portland game near the start of camp, where they were really just trying to sort everything out with I think most of the folks on the roster getting some kind of run out. They could use at least one more game. Substitute the Reno game for another game against Portland, for example. That would have been better.

You learn the most when you are challenged.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the Quakes and their MLS opponents made numerous substitutions, that really doesn't reflect what a real game will be like. We need to play our first team for most of the game against opposition that plays their first team for most of the game.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We played more or less our starters for full halves in the last two games against MLS teams, but that seems like a pretty meager run-up to start the season.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Too bad that pre-season games don't use the same stipulation investments have:
    "Past Performance Does Not Predict Future Returns"

DotMPP and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Anyone know what the result was of the scrimmage against Reno yesterday? Haven't seen results posted anywhere. I can only piece a few things together. Sounds like Reno did much better than last game against the Quakes (and that means the Quakes did less well - Ian said that fitness was an issue last time as they were pretty early in training). I think Hoppenot scored and Lima alluded to "a couple of goals" by the Quakes. I'm guessing maybe 2-1 Quakes(?), but no idea who scored other than Hoppenot.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima didnt say couple, he said "a few" or "several". Cant remember exactly which. But while couple specifically denotes 2, his statement wasn't that specific. My read was 2-1 or 3-1, but its just a guess.

There were also 2 different scrimmages apparently, probably 1st team vs. 1st team and 2nd team vs 2nd team. But no idea what scrim either player was talking about for sure.

So a lot of info missing.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He said "a few", which usually means 2 but could mean more, and certainly means less than "several". Pretty sad that we have to resort to this kind of analysis to try to glean the score line, let alone find out who played and who scored. My impression from what Ian said is that Reno did much better this time. I think there was a reference somewhere from someone (probably LIma) about going 90, so yeah, probably 90 with 1st teamers and another 90 or 45 with second teamers.

I wonder if they are being secret about this by design? Would it matter if Minnesota knew what we were doing, who we were playing, how we were playing? And is there anything that they couldn't learn by watching the tape against LA?

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 3-1 is much better then 4-0, so its hard evaluate the statements. But we are trying to read tea leaves here, I'm just not going to worry about it too much. Its a week before the real thing. It either goes well against Minnesota or it doesn't.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, we don't even know if it's 1 for Reno. We just know that Hoppenot scored. :)

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's my understanding, as well, based on a reliable source.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I'll tell you what, I've been far more impressed with Hoppenot than Paul Marie in the limited preseason. If I was Jesse, I'd think about about having Reno offer a contract to Marie and I'd sign Hoppenot to the Quake's roster. Doesn't Marie require an international slot? Hoppenot has American citizenship and I think he's far more experienced with 32 games under his belt in Reno last year. He can also fill in at forward if the Quakes suffer a rash of injuries there. I think Marie needs a good year of development where he can play a lot of minutes. I'm much more confident that Hoppenot is sub level MLS material right now.

Beerking, JazzyJ and chris thebassplayer repped this.
  23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Marie requires any intl slot unless they had it wrong on the streamed coverage of the combine. Hoppenot did look good in early preseason because he’s so experienced, he can play any position. But fullback is sort of a stretch. And Marie could be loaned to Reno even if signed. I think Thiaw is more the style of forward that rounds things out on the first team If he’s been looking okay.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #324 xbhaskarx, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Marie wouldn't take up an international roster spot if he was with the Quakes, but he will almost certainly be in Reno for most or all of 2018. I'm not a fan of the Marie draft pick, but it's a bit early to judge the guy. And Hoppenot is the definition of an AAA-level player, we've already seen that he's not all that useful at the MLS level. Being better than Marie (who just became a professional a few weeks ago) right now is nothing to be impressed by. He's great to have in Reno, though. He can do well at that level, seems like a professional, no serious personality issues that I'm aware of, and a smart guy (Princeton)... he was born in Paris so maybe he can be a mentor for Marie.

25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure Thiaw will go to Reno, but out of all the draft picks, he has the highest potential to help us towards the end of the season. Of the recently signed Reno players, I like Wehan a lot. We have good young depth. It should make the cup games pretty interesting.

davez repped this.