2018 RSL News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I don’t think getting rid of Weibel and/or Petke necessarily solves anything. The hiring track record of the ownership makes me fear that the new hires could even be worse.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so we should be scared into keeping these guys because the next ones might be worse?

3. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Ali Curtis is available.

Allez RSL repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Not at all what I intended to communicate. When people fail at their responsibilities you get rid of them whether it’s through not renewing a contract or through termination. My point was that the chances are better than 50% that the new hires are no better and there is a decent chance that they will be worse. Wash, Rinse, Repeat until we accidentally get it right.

andyslc and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better understand what you mean now, thanks.

I look to Utah Basketball in situations like this. After Majerus, the program had some truly awful coaches. For awhile, it seemed the school was fine with losing it's once dominant program. But Chris Hill decided to keep trying. The program still isn't as strong as it once was, but it's returning to ways of being respected nationally. We can do that at RSL, as well. Hopefully it doesn't take as long.

Also, in writing this, just realized some strong similarities between Boylen and Cassar.

RSLer repped this.
  6. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Caleb Porter is as well. Well, at least until Greg Berhalter takes over the USMNT and Columbus hires Porter.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That's a pretty good analogy.

Waiting for the day though that all of the crap that Majerus pulled will come out. Just listening to some of his former players that relate the abuse that they took from him as just another "humorous anecdote" gives me the feels for them.

The guy wouldn't last two weeks in today's climate where coaches aren't given carte blanche and A.D's are less likely turn a blind eye to horrible behavior and unacceptable treatment of players simply because they are "winning". #tigerblood

I would rather start going through GM's and Coaches then staying pat and hoping against hope that things turn around.

I think RSL should find a new GM and not renew Waibels contract and on the flip side give Petke one more year. Maybe a new GM and Petke mesh and they turn things around. Who knows. Maybe they don't.

Then let the new GM find a coach that he thinks will work better with him and so on, and so on, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and before you no it everyone has bright bouncy beautiful hair.

Wait, what?

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

Please no! Might be a decent coach but what a douche. Portland still plays like a crying bunch of babies because of him.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I agree with Petke. If we lose by 1-0 or 5-0, we lose. Subbing forwards to try and get the winning/tying goal makes sense to me. However, having said that, you would want your subs to be game changers so that you can get that tying/winning goals. Therein lies RSL's problem, I guess, unless I misunderstood the entire article (which happens).

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the mindset. Goals against can matter since it's one of the tie breakers iirc. Even more so, you still need to be keeping yourself in the game. You can't just send everyone forward for most of a match and allow the other team easy counters.

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s central to the article. Matt presumes, without stating it, that there are game changers on the bench who do not get subbed in for meaningful time. It’s clear to me that Petke is trying to get the tying or winning goals. As Matt pointed out the subs are normally offensive players. It’s also clear to me that Petke doesn’t believe the bench has game changers. That’s why he waits to make the subs, if he subs at all. I pretty much agree with him.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who watched the game? Anyone wanna talk news?

14. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If we win at LAFC, I’ll take my crow fried with a side of ranch

15. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what just happened but rusnak is saying his contract is not done and he'll discuss it after the lafc game. Bodes poorly for the outcome

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like good news to me, dude has done shit since we heard he signed a new contract.

17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #943 RSLer, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Maybe because he knew it wasn’t done?

I will be consistent here with my past perspectives: I have complete faith in the ability of our FO and owner to f*** this up. As in, “Let’s lowball our best player”.
    As in, “The guy’s crippled but he had a couple of good years in Europe even if he did screw us when he left the first time. Hell, Let’s guarantee him $2 MM/year.
    As in, This guy played in Spain so he must be good, although the stats don’t really support that POV. Let’s guarantee him $1MM/season with no performance thresholds.
    As in, He’s been our best player for years and was a big reason RSL became RSL but his last couple of years have been down so let’s keep him out of a couple of games so we don’t have to pay him.
    As in, He was a big factor in our best years and played for the USMNT. He might be old and slow but he’s the only reason fans come to our games. He is going to start every game and we are going to pay him for his contributions 4 years ago.

19. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but Craig isn't to blame...

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rusnak up for Goal of the Year.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/goty/2018/vote

Albert's goal is a one-timer against LA but he (and the rest of MLS) is up against two goals by Zlatan doing Zlatan things, so using my crystal ball I can see that the award will go to Zlatan.

RSLer repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The El Traffico Zlatan goal is special. I'd vote for that

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Luciano Acosta goal against Orlando is the end of the epic play made by Wayne Rooney against Will Johnson and Orlando City; I love that goal. And the Zlatan one - I mean, good grief!

24. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan said #500 is more special to him because no one else on the planet could score that goal. He believes there is one other person that could do the el traffic goal