2018 RSL News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The roster freeze deadline is tomorrow. So the paperwork and stuff needs to be in by then - though it doesn't necessarily mean the club has to announce it then.

15 to 32 repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He says in the interview that it might be right away, it might be next season - that "the Americans have my passport" and it depends on how fast the paperwork goes through.

I also liked his line that he's comfortable if they shorten the headline to "Oduoha leaves QPR for Real."

TheBiff repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts on this
    - Marcelo Silva's injury must be a lot more significant than anyone is letting on
    - I think this means we're moving at least one CB in the offseason. Glad maybe? MSilva back to Spain? Besler? Horst?
    - Curious just how much we're on the hook for with him and if he'll occupy a DP slot. I really hope not, but then I go look at the contract numbers that Waibel has negotiated and I get scared.
    - The timing on this sucks. No matter how you cut it. Either we took way too damn long to get things done for him to be a player this season. Or, we're jumping the gun next season, which just feels.... weird.
    - Yes yes yes, we needed a CB, but this team needs a 9. It's not as desperate of a need, sure, but we need a 9.

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    More context from Stejskal.

- No TAM being used.

- Expected to compete with Silva and Glad for minutes, and presumably be depth when Marcelo gets injured (which seems to happen frequently).

- All 3 players under contract through next season.

So my guess is that Horst has played his last game for us, Besler will be cheap depth behind those 3, and maybe there's room for an academy player to be the 5th CB option (someone like Erik Holt at UCLA).

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Glad being on his last year of contract the club better be either (a) negotiating now or (b) lining up suitors. Worst thing would be to see him leave for free.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Besler, the DesNews has this to say:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...of-his-opportunities-with-real-salt-lake.html

7. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  8. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Except his one-on-one defending has been a bit subpar. The attacking part of his game was never in question. The defensive part of his game has grown tremendously this season, so I think he's well on his way but may not be there quite yet.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #834 RSLer, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Manchester with mountains. Now, that’s not a description you hear often. Sounds like he plans to stay long enough for his kids to develop American accents, then move back to Manchester.

Has anyone seen a timeline for him to report? This season is almost over. (Edit: nvm. I didn’t read the later posts before I posted. )

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! His defensive skills have noticeably improved over the course of the season. I’m hoping this trend continues next season.

11. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Movsisyian to fire see MLS website

RSL Wonderbra repped this.
  12. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are paying part of his salary to play for the fire now?

Hope he wins the world cup for Chicago but not mls cup

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Whaaaaaaat? That's wonderful.

I do have a question there though. Is his contract through 2018 or 2019? My understanding was 2018 but a recent post by the RSL Prostitutes whoring at RSL Soapbox suggested it went through 2019.

I followed the links and they all concluded it finalized in 2018 as I understood.

This move ONLY makes sense in my mind if his contract is up in a few months. Period. Otherwise, there is no reason for the fire to sign movsisyan.

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    His contract was definitely through 2019 season.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/rsl/2018/03/02/disgruntled-yura-movsisyan-waived-by-real-salt-lake/

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...syan-loaned-real-salt-lake-swedens-djurgarden

15. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 was always my understanding as well. Thanks for the links, kir

16. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Sam Stejskal had a tweet that indicated the waiver rules had changed, and Chicago was not actually obligated to take on his 2019 salary. That's the only way this move makes sense for them.

RSLer repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly
    Chicago takes his last the remainder of his 2018 salary while we are still on the hook for 2019. This changes if Chicago likes his tryout and signs him next year. That isn't happening.

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    And it may not even be his whole 2018 salary. The way the waiver rule works AFAIK is that any team who wants him just bids how much of their salary budget they're willing to give up, and the highest bid wins. If Chicago is the only team that wanted him, they may have bid really low - which is reportedly how we picked up Chris Wingert a few years ago.

It's honestly the kind of move that nobody here can really judge. If they picked him up basically for free then it's not a bad move at all. It all depends on how much they bid.

Allez RSL, RSLer, Ivensor and 1 other person repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, even if they took the full amount of what is left on the salary, they aren't really tying themselves to a whole lot. Shouldn't the league cover their portion regardless of the bid? Is it possible that this is costing Chicago nothing besides a roster spot for the rest of the season (which was about to be frozen).

20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Trey Fitzgerald resigned? What the..,?

21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

Twitter so could be red herring?

23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #848 SenordrummeR2, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Lucas is usually pretty reliable. Looks like he's not the only one.

I wonder what happened to cause him to resign.

Edit: Here's another from one of our forum member. (I can't remember Charles' forum name)

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what in the actual ********

25. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would be stunned if it wasn't for another job in MLS. He was without question a strong positive voice for the team, although it at times caused him to strike out rashly against ANY perceived slights.

He was always willing to take a call or respond to an e-mail (as long as it was respectful.)

We wish you the best Trey.