2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Nice crowd last night. Rooney should have scored, then again RB missed a few good chances too. Kaku's goal was excellent -- great patience to take the extra touch. I've missed a ton of games this season, but getting to go to two in four days is a treat. Hopefully they can keep the energy up for Wed.

Woodrow repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there too. Beautiful night for a match. Spectators anyway.

Next to our goal, TH14 got the biggest applause it seemed. I guess his presence means he isn't getting the Bordeaux job. Or at least he hasn't yet.

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Rooney leaving the field got a pretty loud applause, I should say that the jeers morphed into cheers, quite unexpectedly.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I heard sounded like mostly boo's. Or possibly "Roo's"? ;)

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently I was 180° wrong in this assumption. Bordeaux's ownership group is in New York and supposedly he was here to meet them.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They wanted somewhere out of the way.:confused:

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian White scored his first goal in a 1-0 win. Long, Lawrence, Kaku, Royer, Rzatkowski, Royer, Wright-Phillips, and Meara were the available subs. Long, Royer, and Rzatkowski were subbed on. Right after Steve Cangialosi said Houston wasn't doing well with corner kicks, a Houston corner kick resulted in a shot off the ground and the post without going in. The Red Bulls played 3 days ago, and Houston played 6 days ago, but at least Houston had to travel.

The Red Bulls have the most points in MLS, but Atlanta has a game in hand and more points per game.

8. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    At first I thought Armas made too many changes. I was expecting 2-3 tops, but with the heat and third game in a week, it probably was the right decision, especially with Houston rotating as well. Not exactly a thriller of a match, but a wins a win.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was actually Messing who made that slightly faux-pas comment about Houston's corners. And it was Messing whose picture they showed when Chris Armas was talking about the old MISL team he used to watch in L.I. as a kid, and Armas called Shep a "crazy long hair". :)

As for the line-up, I too was worried that he rotated too much. It was like a blend of MLS A-teamers and USL C-teamers. But the gamble paid off... just barely (1-0). Now let's see if we can blow away Montreal up at their place, a team which has fallen off a bit of a cliff compared to a few years ago when they sort of had our number.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There will be some more rotation tonight. If I had to guess I'd say Adams and Murillo are both due for a rest, maybe Parker, too. That's a nice trio to have coming off the bench. I have no idea who might deputize for Murillo, as Lade has played two straight games, also, but maybe Kutler gets another shot. Rzatkowski will probably play, and Escobar was good on Wednesday. I like what I saw from Casseres, Jr. We have to remember that he's just 18, so from a team standpoint, if the club loses Adams sooner rather than later, they do have a ready-made replacement. Anyway, it's all just speculation, but having a game against another weak opponent does give some wiggle room for experimentation. Even if the aforementioned three sit, the regulars like Kaku and Royer can pick up the slack.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We become the first club to clinch the playoffs with a win or draw, a draw or loss by New England who plays at the same time, or a draw or loss by D.C. tomorrow, but we want them to beat Atlanta. We have clinched the wins tiebreaker over New England and will have more wins than D.C. unless they win every game.

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost 3-0 at Montreal, where we normally play poorly, but we clinched the playoffs with New England's 1-1 draw hosting Portland.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that was a truly awful performance by us, and a great performance by Montreal.

We were lucky it was only 3-0. They absolutely tore our defense apart. We looked like some other crappy team tonight.

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing that we have two weeks to mull it over before we play again.

But this makes me want to show up for our big head to head with ATL, giving our boys maximum support, while crossing fingers!

14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The game on the 16th is likely to see a lot of spent legs.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams caps off a very good interlull tonight against MEX.

Well done Tyler.

And you showed yourself well in the shop window, so even if you don't go to Leipzig, it seems some other European club will snap you up in January.

Your gain, our loss.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first goal for the USMNT was the only goal of a 1-0 win. I wonder who scored the most goals for the USMNT while on the Red Bulls or MetroStars. The club has gotten goals from foreigners like BWP, Henry, Cahill, Angel, and Guevara.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy?

EvanJ repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia says his first USMNT goal was on February 6, 2008 against Mexico and that was his only goal before he left the Red Bulls.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Mathis then?

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    My money would be on Clint Mathis.

Personally, I like the fact that Adams stepped up in a big game, friendly or not, scoring the winner against Mexico. There are too many so called attacking players who have padded their scoring totals against minnows. Give me a gamer any day of the week, I don't care which position he used to play.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore counts with 1 goal. Mathis scored 33 goals for the MetroStars while on the USMNT. He scored 6 goals for the Red Bulls in 2007 after his last cap. In 23 years including this one, the MetroStars or Red Bulls have had their leading scorer be American only 3 times. They are Mathis with 9 goals in 2003, John Wolyniec tied with Amado Guevara with 10 goals in 2004, and Kenny Cooper with 18 goals in 2012. To compare, D.C. has had an American lead or share the club lead in goals 8 or 10 times, depending on if you count Luis Silva in 2013 and 2014. He's a Mexican citizen born in the USA.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure Clint didn't score more than 1 goal for USA whilst a Metrostar?