2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls won 3-2 and Los Angeles was mad at VAR.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, that was refreshing. NYRB played last night with style, verve and a bit of spunk.

LA may not have "deserved" to lose that game, but the VAR decision looked correct to me. It was close, but off is off.

3. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Only saw the 2nd half of LAG match, and I must say I'm quite pleased to be on the positive end of a terrible call (PK). Winning a close road match will hopefully instill some confidence in the team away from home. Royer had been snake bit the past 3-4 matches. He gets in great positions, so glad he finally put one of them away. Saw he extended his contract too. Good news.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Wow! What a result. I mean it's not 7-0, you can't always expect City to fold up shop every time they go down 2-0 in 4 minutes, but I'll still take it. Even the classless F--- the Red Bulls chant rang hollow the 3rd or 4th time they did it. And really, the t-shirts, water bottles, and beer cans that came raining down were so priceless. Nothing says NYCFC like pointless piques of temper.

That said, loved the goals, loved everyone's performance. There were precious few plays where they put a foot wrong. I struggle to remember a play where City might have scored a legit goal, but even for the one's that were offside, they still couldn't actually find the back of the net. Bravo to the defense, and bravissimo to Kaku who was the player of the match for me. His passes were spot on, time after time. A great all around performance from the good guys.

Dyvel repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I literally put out a tweet saying someone better tell those interlopers that NY is Red!

I am happy to see the progress of RB2 guys like Etienne, Adams and Valot. We have a great academy and reserve side. We just need to put it together and win it all in USOC or MLS or CCL, J1B4ID!!

Woodrow repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won our third consecutive game, with two of them helped by VAR. We won 2-1 at Colorado with our second goal being changed from offside to a goal by VAR, and it was offside.

http://www.fifa.com/news/y=2018/m=5/news=the-week-in-numbers-13.html says:

"11 goals in ten games: that is what New York Red Bulls forward Bradley Wright-Phillips has scored in the Hudson River Derby – the same total, incredibly, as New York City FC. David Villa, by contrast, has failed to net in six appearances at Red Bull Arena."

7. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Etienne wasn't blatantly offside. I think with camera angles you could say he was pretty much even with the ball. That said, I was surprised they overturned the original call. Perfect cross from Muyl.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm starting to get really excited about this team. Etienne Jr. stepping up is huge for the prospects of this club, he's becoming a viable super-sub. It is going to be a concern how the club will fare without Murillo, but to me that is a manageable problem, Lade can fill in, and Kutler may also be able to step up. A lot of guys are stepping up this season and it's cool that so many are from within the system.

The next match, in Atlanta, is going to be a great benchmark for how good is this team, and I'm actually looking forward to the game.

Zamphyr repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that on the Fox Sports 1 bottom line.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kokoplus10 repped this.
  12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That match had everything in it; some gorgeous attacking play, bad calls, injuries and red cards. I'm glad to see NY come out on top, but Atlanta will be right to feel hard done by in this game. It wasn't an easy match for anyone.

I just hope it's nothing serious for either Lawrence or Adams.

13. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Didn’t look serious for Adams. I think he was just emotional over Kamar’s injury.

At least Kamar was able to reach out to his coach at the end.

Haven’t been able to find any speculation on what his injury might be.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls now lead MLS in points per game with 2.10. Atlanta has 2.08.

15. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat the best team in the league on the road and they're in reasonable position to take first place... but at such a cost.

I can't even be happy about the win until I know Kemar is okay.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref was atrocious but on both sides. Think the calls evened out overall.

The difference in this game for me was the clinical finishing of BWP and Parker and Long really handling that 3 headed monster very VERY well with their positioning.

I’ve said it for years: Only piece ever missing here was that 2nd quality CB. Parker appears to be it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    this was a badly reffed game. Not sure I saw the second goal trip that led to it being called back. The Penalty was a foul but I have also seen it not get called. There was also what looked like a foul leading to the turnover for the second goal. All I can is Swings and roundabouts. I am sure we will be on the receiving end of badly ref game before this season is over. I hope it is not a playoff game like last season vs Toronto.

I also want to say, I wasn't sure about Valot on the right but he has done a good job.

18. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy game that all seemed to pivot on that disallowed 2nd goal.
    Hoping we hear some good news on the injuries today

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #70 Woodrow, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Lawrence physically responding to Marsch was actually a very good sign, hopefully this was just a precaution. Marsch was all over the place during that period, getting ice for Adams, then hustling down to the endline to buck up Lawrence as he was carted off.

Kemar Lawrence 'Fully Responsive' in Hospital

Whew! Maybe he misses the next game, but hopefully he's just a little banged up from going down so hard; he could easily have been seriously injured in a non-spinal way hitting the deck with an almost face plant.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    One more thing, Atlanta demonstrated that they clearly understand much better how to play on Field Turf than the Red Bulls ever did on fake grass. Their most dangerous plays came through very fast interchange of passes, which the the artificial surface facilitates. In the first half, I saw numerous instances where NY clearly was anticipating the ball to hang up a little like it would on grass, instead of running on, which ATL clearly used as a tactic for a quick build-up. They also kept the ball on the ground to move through the Red Bull midfield, something few other teams can accomplish. On the ATL goal, Davis and Adams were completely out of shape, when Adams stepped up to defend, Davis was not in good position to drop back and defend the space. Both players need to understand it's not just about chasing the ball/closing down, but creating a screen in front of Long and Parker, a two-deep defensive line.

T.M. Anthony and Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I also want to add Meara did very well. You really couldn't blame him for the two times he got beat.

T.M. Anthony repped this.
  22. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    T.M. Anthony repped this.
  23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Less great news it appears the Adams deal is done. We get a few months to wish him well and hope a championship caps his last season with NYRB.

Ironically a bit of “good” news is making its way around Twitter that Vieira is on his way to Nice.