2018 Pre-Season Friendlies Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sturridge provided everyone - Jurgen Klopp included - with a timely reminder of his abilities in the trip to Chester on Saturday afternoon.

The 28-year-old (yes, he is still just 28) had moved to the Hawthorns on loan earlier this season in order to find regular football and force his way back into the England set-up, but while Gareth Southgate's team were defeating Sweden in Russia, Sturridge was lining up at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

If Sturridge was hurting, he took it all out on the over-matched non-league side, ruthlessly helping Liverpool put Chester to the sword with two goals in a 7-0 thrashing, the second strike a particular highlight
    And yes, it was just Chester in a friendly in which fitness was the priority over form.

But crucially, Sturridge looked fit and strong - something Liverpool fans have waited a long time to see.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...niel-sturridge-become-problem-jurgen-14880642

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then we will have this conversation in 3 weeks from now, then 3 months, and then when he has missed 50% of the games overall as usual....

poor guy - he just can't be relied on at all.

Wingtips1 and SamScouse repped this.
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Quite probably,newt . Prior to the Chester game I was thinking the same , I'd pretty much not given Sturridge a second thought. For me he was done , a crock who couldn't play 5 mins for Wba last season .
    Then watching the game the first thing that struck me was how lean and fit he looked , probably the best physical condition he's looked for a long time. Then it was how well he actually performed on the pitch , granted v a weak opposition but his touches and vision were of high quality.
    So now he's got me second guessing and thinking of what if.
    What if Studge can stay fit as back up to Bobby? I think its a given that Bobby will play the lions share of games this season so is there room for Sturridge until at least Jan? Brewster who we are led to believe will be given games this season as Klopp persuaded him to re-sign this summer is not expected to be available to start the season as he recovers from his ankle surgery. Studge is certainly head and shoulders a better finisher than Origi or Solanke .
    He's only 28 still , we already own him so costs us nothing but salary .
    All I'm saying is I agree with the article that if Sturridge continues to play like he did v Chester ,performs at a high level and stays fit then he might be difficult for Klopp to ignore . He's doesn't have the electric pace like our front three but in games v packed def he has the skills to open them up.
    The injury history is definitely a massive caveat but on the other hand a fit effective Sturridge could be a huge threat in the Lfc attack. I think Sturridge will need to go the extra mile to convince Klopp over the next month and that includes staying fit but if his attitude and performance v Chester are anything to go by I wouldn't rule him out just yet..

Suss repped this.
  4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was thinking the same, however we have been here 10 times before. He shows flashes of his quality, but then when we really need him he is never fit.

He was really outstanding against Chester. As good a 45 minutes you could have in a meaningless preseason game against non league opposition.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesus, y'all are like a bunch of battered wives. "Maybe THIS time he'll be different..."

Don't fall for it, Susan!

el-capitano repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    this is it. a player of his skills should look good in this situation !

I can't see Klopp keeping him around at all, even for a short time. we have Solanke, Origi and others whose progress shouldn't be held up. right now Studge is in the shop window is all.

another aspect is what does he want - he moved to WB where he thought he'd get starts. my guess is he doesn't want to be anyone's sub, will want to move where they are likely / promise to start him.

7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of course yet Solanke,Origi and Ings all looked pretty average in the same game . Its not just because he dominated v a non league club , all of our players should have done that .
    Once again it was a number of things ie his performance , his obvious fitness-the guy has definitely seen a lot of gym time over the off season , his touches on the ball including some clever dink balls into the box.
    All in all it was a display of individual quality from a guy I'd written off. Where he goes from here is anyones guess but as I said if he continues like this the coaches will have some thinking to do , whether its worth keeping him for the final year of his contract.
    But at the least we might be able to get more for him if we sell.

8. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Glad to see Studge do well. I'm in the camp of hoping these outings - if they continue - will help us recover a bit of what we've paid for him. I really don't see the guy holding together for any length of time at this point, especially against higher quality competition. Sad to write this but we've all seen the Sturridge movie many times over - great flashes separated by long periods on the treatment table.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    planning your striker options around Sturridge's fitness is like planning your retirement around success on the lottery.

el-capitano, newterp and imasyko repped this.
  10. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #85 speker, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Klopp will plan around Firmino as #1, its who will back up Bobby.

He'll have to choose from Ings, Solanke, Origi, Sturridge and Brewster unless we buy.

Any or all of Ings, Origi and Sturridge could be sold. Solanke could be loaned and Brewster is still out injured .

Ings- not good enough.
    Origi- has not progressed much from when we signed him
    Solanke - good prospect but needs games to develop , couldn't score last year
    Brewster- raw and coming off a long spell out with injury
    Sturridge head and shoulders superior to all but has a horrendous injury record.

All are good players but none of them inspire massive confidence in me for various reasons and this season if we're to make a serious run at the title we'll need whoever covers for when Firmino is not playing to contribute.

Suss repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    from what I've read, Ings is gonna go for sure.

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think so too , Sam. I also think Klopp really wants to give Brewster a chance this season , his style suits our set up but I'm not sure when he'll be ready to go again. The preseason is going to be critical for many of these guys as to who can impress Klopp the most .

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    signing Shaq - if we do = resting Firmino by moving Mo to the centre and playing Shaq out left.

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unfortunately, we don’t need reminding. We know what he can do, just as much as the infrequency of his availability to do it.

15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Klopp will be watching his attackers very closely over the next month or so .The back up role is there for the taking .

CB-West repped this.
  16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can see Sturridge in a role with Brewster as "third choice"...we've seen the quality in Studge...it's just his fitness and glass body...but I think if Klopp can go with him and a youngster - he would do that over an expensive alternative...

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Add Harrry Wilson to the list. I don’t think you have to distinguish between centerforwards and wingers, because Salah and Mane can both play through the middle if needed. Harry Wilson can score goals from a wide role and has good movement. Those characteristics are more important to our squad than what Origi and Solanke offer.

Perhaps the best thing for Sturridge is to play for 10-15 minutes at a time as a substitute, with a rare start here and there.

It’s not realistic for him to go to a West Brom where he would be expected to carry their attack and keep them in the Premier League.

If we kept Sturridge around, we certainly wouldn’t be relying on him. If he is willing to accept a minor role he could be a good option on the bench.

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You could go that way , Suss but I think switching like that is a more effective tactic within a game in order to mess with the opponents def.

My belief and this was my experience when coaching too is that consistency is the key . Changes where necessary of course but try to stick with what works as much as possible. For example if Bobby is out then replacing him with another #9 means just one change.
    If we switch Salah into the middle then add a new player on the right now we've made two changes just to replace one injured player.
    It's not necessarily a problem but I'd prefer to have a proper cover in each position including # 9 be that Brewster , Solanke , Sturridge etc.
    HarryW might be a good cover for Salah or Mane if he can stake his claim this preseason .

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That makes sense, but no other player can even come close to replicate what Bobby Firmino does for the team. Towards the end of last season Klopp started playing Salah through the middle more and more, even with Firmino on the field.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    True Bobby is unique in his style as a #9. Brewster may make a good option , he's a very mobile striker.

What do you think of Woodburns chances of sticking with the first ream this season?

21. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Klopp sees him as part of the midfield 3 in a Lallana type role. He looks a lot bigger from the last time I saw him.

If we sign another attacking midfielder (Fekir or anyone else) it would seem impossible for Woodburn to get games. A loan this season could make sense.

The challenge is finding an appropriate place for him to go on loan. He would have to go somewhere that plays good football, because he wouldn’t be very useful to the teams in the Premier League who play with such negative tactics.

22. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, thought the same , Woodburn looks like a man now not a boy . Defo needs a good loan , maybe join Grujic at Cardiff?

23. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-season match against Tranmere today - about 2pm E.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Funny seeing that stadium - I played there against the Chester reserves/youths in 2002.