2018 Pac12

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    what many perceive as HATE I see as grudging RESPECT. If i were a UCLA parent, I would be honored that people considered us worth discussing !!

Brian Webb repped this.
  2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I appreciate 007's view as that is being observed is respect, rather than hate. I like a positive attitude! And 007 is correct that when the team rises to level of consistent dominance these posts of "respect" frequently crop up.

But I also truly sympathize with McSkillz because there is often a tone of bitterness, resentment, and anger that also accompanies many of these posts. Any long time UNC fan can attest to such venom. It comes with the territory of being a consistent winner. ...and UCLA has garnered that winning reputation in recent years. Along with a general bitterness aimed a winning program will also come the usual accusations of foul play, bad coaching, unfair recruiting advantages, and the "us versus them" mentality. Wait for it....

Such is the tribal instinct of human nature. And there probably are a lot of human beings posting on Big Soccer!

But being as it may, I continue to be impressed and appreciative of all of the good souls there are on these boards who are consistently polite and generous in their posts -even as they are unabashedly fan of a particular team. I like being in their company... and some are UCLA fans!

socalsoccer23, blissett and Number007 repped this.
  3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I think people tend to read whatever tone they want to in an anonymous message board comment. Those looking to find the negative will and vice versa. Also, the schools that have the more rabid , aggressive followings draw more attention. if you look, some information depts are way more aggressive on social media than others. That can rub fans of other more conservative teams the wrong way.

i tend to speak my mind. If my tone offends, im sorry, but there is no malice intended. it shocks me when some imply it . Im not big on the rah rah stuff with no substance.

4. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Wow... we’ve really gotten soft... I’m heading to my safe space

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This week has some interesting match ups. It starts with the mountain duo heading to the Bay. Colorado still one of the few unbeaten left in the country and they’ll get a feisty Cal and then Stanford. Utah has seemingly flipped there slow start and has been an upset machine
    The Oregon’s head to LA looking for upsets. Oregon got off to a great start to their season but have just a single conference win to their record. Both UCLA and USC need to be flawless to keep hopes of a high seed going
    That leaves the Washington’s heading to the desert to face the Zona’s. Multiple tournament lives could be on the line

Should be a great week

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Damnit, Sophia Smith just broke the F**** out of her lower leg.
    You gotta feel for her. That injury looked gruesome.

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolutely brutal. So sad for this kid

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How did that injury happen? Was it a contact with another player? And how much time she will need to recover?

I had watched Sophia Smith play this summer when I was in France for U-20 WWC and I had found her by far the most impressive player from team USA. I am incredibly sorry for her injury because she's one of those players that are a pleasure to see on the pitch. :unsure:

9. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Was that a penalty?

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it was a penalty, but I was glad to take a look as I wondered if it was a really bad foul. It looked like a pretty ordinary play, to me.

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The highlight video shows the Utah GK blocking a penalty kick.

12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not jump to conclusions, she could of just twisted her ankle.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The ankle was 90 degrees to the tibia and the carried her off the field into locker area don’t believe she was seen again

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    She is a friend of my daughters. She texted her - Broken Fibula. Ligament damage.

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, broken fibula in itself shouldn't have a so long recovery, but if the ligament is damaged... Any idea about how long it should need to have her on her feet again?

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All the best to Sophia for her rehab. She looked impressive at every US YNT level and very efficient in games I saw live.

Brian Webb and blissett repped this.
  17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Here is the full video.
    The lower leg down by the ankle was indeed broken sideways at a wrong angle.

blissett repped this.
  18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Don't like the part about ligament damage at all.

blissett repped this.
  19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Unfortunately this was not a twisted ankle on her right leg.
    Wish is was. And if ligament damage, that just compounds the injury more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  20. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Yeah, when she was carried off the field with one of these around her lower leg, it confirmed that she was done for the season.

It's really an unfortunate situation.
    I don't feel bad for Stanford or Paul Radcliffe.
    100% of what I feed bad for is exclusively toward Sophia herself.

[​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I am sorry for Smith--excellent player. Her injury will definitely make the postseason a bit more interesting and make a title repeat more challenging for the Cardinal. It's a break for the other top contenders because, even with Stanford's embarrassment of talent, she will not be easily replaced.

22. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    If you watched the TV replay, it shows her leg getting snapped completely. Can’t see her playing again this season. Unlike the UNC incident, it was not a dirty play though
    It’s also unfortunate you don’t feel for her teammates and coach. I feel for all parties involved including the defender for Utah as it seemed completely unintentional, unlike the UNC incident on Davidson.

23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like her cleat got stuck in the ground. Terrible news, I wish her nothing but the best. With the great medical team Stanford has, I am sure she will come back just as strong if not stronger.

blissett repped this.
  24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Stanford just beat a very good Colorado team 7-0.
    They'll be fine.

I feel for Sophia here.
    I can't feel all that sorry for a program that gets any recruit they want.
    They have more depth than anyone else.
    That's why I feel 100% bad for Sophia (the player) here over their program.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    What an unfortunate incident. Sophia Smith has proven herself as the best -not only on the youth national teams, but arguably the best freshman forward in the country as she has been playing a key role for Stanford. I join woso soccer fans with best wishes and a speedy recovery for Sophie.

socalsoccer23 and blissett repped this.