News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If I'm in Milan anytime a MLS game is played I'd be happy as hell regardless of TV coverage

Winoman repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I started watching Mexico vs Costa Rica about 20 minutes into the game. Is Segura on the active roster? Is he starting?

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Segura got 15 minutes in the 2nd half as a substitute.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Winoman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Theopisa repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If you need a good laugh, watch the highlights from the Spoon game between Colorado and Minnesota and see if you can catch the exact moment when Adrian Heath's head blows up Scanners-style.

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Huge win for Italy in Poland, the lone goal came seconds before the end of the 3rd stoppage time minute, but Italy hit the bar three times and the Polish GK saved the result another 4~5 times with miracle saves. We are finally now starting to see Mancini's hand, with high pressing, very active attack and midfield and an attentive defense. We still have an incredible difficulty to score.
    We will not be relegated to the serie B of the Nations League, and we could still potentially make it to the Final 4, whatever these two things mean.

Winoman repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Good match. Szczney was big almost all night. He's played against most of the Italian side and knows the personalities. So we got to watch Buffon's understudies/ replacements on opposite sides of the pitch at the same time, surely a trivia question going forward.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Serie B - That's where Germany is headed.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    They call it League 2, but regardless it's the first dumpster. Personally I hate it when a team gets the score run up on them but I was praying for Germany to give up 3 or 4 more because they loved doing the same when they were a power. Payback and all.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose if there was a pre-game thread I would put this there, but without one it's just an other team post

sitruc repped this.
  12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well I guess good news for us... Giovinco will be back I think but probably won't play / maybe won't even join the team in DC.

13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What I don't understand about this NL is that you have some groups that are killer (like France, Germany, Holland) and other with the weakest 3~4 teams.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I believe that there would be no seedings when drawing the groups within each League. The top 12 teams in UEFA were pooled into League 1, then randomly drawn into the 4 groups within the league. Luck of the draw. The competition rules are on the UEFA website for those so inclined

15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    France and Germany qualified for the WC. Holland didn't. Then Germany couldn't even get out of group play.

By those criteria (which UEFA is using), that group isn't a killer group.

However, Spain/England/Croatia is a real killer group. Go figure.

Winoman repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    #866 NicktheGreek, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    France up on Germany 2-1 in the 90th a pair from Grisman brought out the flags at Stade de France. edit Germany NOT yet relegated

17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GRIEZMANN

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    All up to the Dutchies now, they beat France, Germany is going down, they beat Germany, Germany goes down, they beat both
    If you look up "An embarrassment of riches" there's a picture of France's national team. Depth like that is what wins a tournament with such short intervals between matches. Oh, and the coach is no slouch either

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    TowsonDad repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Atlanta keeps making these "big" signings, but so far none of them have got them silverware. Almiron is hurt (again), Martinez has cooled off and Barco appears too immature to handle the reins. To succeed in MLS, you do need to spend, but you spend wisely. You can be profligate in Europe because you can afford (maybe) to have folks on million plus contracts sitting on the bench or not even making the 18. In MLS, you are constrained and the basis for sustained success is depth and some above average players. A top heavy roster won't get you to the promised land. However, YMMV.

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw the Man U - Juve game today, Juve was playing with them like the cat with the mouse, hadn't it been for De Gea, they could have score another 3 ~ 4 goals. A real demonstration of power.

Winoman repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Maurinho's sour puss was a joy to behold all match long.
    He was as clearly out coached as his team was outplayed. And that wasn't a full strength Juve. Maybe this is the year but beating this version of Man U isn't the proof of greatness

23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree, there was too much superiority, but they still look like they have become a top team in Europe as well. In the old days - not too long ago - Juve was dominating in Italy but shitting its pants in Europe.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almiron is probably off to England after the season, so they're losing him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Martinez sold, too, especially if MLS drops a DP slot per team as has been rumored.

Will be interesting to see who Atlanta brings in to be coach. The hot rumor right now is GBS.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not heard this rumor, but the idea does not displease me