News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Not as bad as I thought, there was about 9 different channels carrying 5 games between noon and 5 on the Cox lineup. Spurs-Inter, Porto-Shalke, ATM-Monaco, on various Spanish channels
    Barca,-PSV and Liver-PSG in English and Spanish
    Messi x3 in any language
    The TNT studio team for my money is largely childish and the woman (ex-Fox WC team) would be easier to understand if she didn't try speaking Romanian with a dozen hot dogs in her yap If she had anything to actually add to the frat party I missed it.

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I upgraded my package to include Univision Deportes, as I thought they would they have a special (Mision Europa) showing all the highlights of each game (TNT doesn't, they only show some goals here and there). And on wednesday I will be able to tape two EL matches (plus highlights, I believe) and watch them when I get back home. And honestly I'd rather watch these games on UD rather than those crooks of TNT.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  3. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got Sling without ESPN because the had Univision. Apparently they are in a contract hassle and are not part of the package. I want to damn blackout bullshit to end of DCU.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    oh - you said "SLING" - I thought you meant ... uh, never mind

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    TNT is showing two games per day: 1 pm and 3 pm (ET). Today its Ajax & AEK, and Real Madrid & Roma. UnivisionDeportes does the same. UniMas, however, is showing a different game at 3 pm: Juventus & Valencia.

They have the opportunity to show FOUR different games a day. Hope they do this in the Spring.

Winoman repped this.
  6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was standing behind the goal for that one, it still hurts.

Thanks for the trigger, I will need a vodka drink at lunch now ;)

Winoman repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Who needs CR7? Ronaldo did a typical petulant foul and got red-carded. But Juventus is winning 2-0 anyways against Valencia. And Real Madrid is up 2-0 vs Roma.

10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I guess it's good for some (like me) and sucks for others I get Channel 8 or whatever they call it and for free (nothing on cable is really free) and prefer it over ESPN+ simply because when the match sux, I can surf other broadcasts and return pretty quickly. If they blackout every hom
    That was one that I had to watch at Summers in Arlington. That was looong ago. Didn't Lalas take direct kick to his courting tackle from some mystery Mexican in that match?

11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Valencia can't buy a break. It was like no one realized he (CR7) was gone and life went on without him.

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance at the SuperLiga final in Toronto seems a bit sparse.

13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josmer looks like he’s trying to end his night early by getting sent off

14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tigres ad sales guy should get a bonus for the amount of ad space he was able to carve out and sell.

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess Juve figured out how to become a top European team; they can go to Valencia - which is not the same team it used to be but it's still uneasy to play against - and won 2-0 one man down with perfect nonchalance. They used to suck in European cups, the wheel has obviously spinned...

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I watched Real-Roma, the first half was equilibrated then Real really came out (especially after the 2-0). Roma had two young kids on the field, Under (Turkish) who is like 19 or 20 and plays like a veteran. And they also fielded Zaniolo (19), who made his CL debut before his serie A debut - something that had already happened to De Rossi in the past.

17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I’ve lost track whether this is the 4th or 5th time this season that Atlanta has had points handed to them by shady use of VAR.

Last night the refs gave Atlanta a penalty almost two minutes (!) after the offense took place and then refused to even look at a penalty shout for SJ later in the game. And VAR took a tight SJ goal off the board too, just for laughs.

I’ve maintained that VAR allows more opportunity for referee discretion, and therefore more opportunity for corruption, not less. In the same way that a speed gun allows cover for police to pull over someone going 56 MPH.

Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cox still has 2 beIN channels - English and Spanish.

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The problem with VAR is that it is no less arbitrary than the old way of doing things. In the old days, if you had a bad ref, you got burned. Now, you have the opportunity to have two bad refs working in tandem. I think goal line technology should be used to determine if the ball fully crosses the line. After that it gets far murkier. How can offside really be judged given that camera angles don't necessarily line up with a play. Al;so, red card worthy fouls always can be argued in slow mo. I think back to the DCU/Orlando game when the red was given after VAR even though the ref was right in front of the play in real time and called nothing. How does no call turn into an ejection at that point? Soccer does not need to turn into the absolute shit show the NFL has become with video review occurring on what seems to be every other play.

sitruc, ejs1111, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    VAR doesn't apply to offside calls. Moot Point for now.
    Arguing for slow mo is simply suggesting another version of VAR -who reviews it? And how many of the extant camera captures do you need to review? You're either fer it or agin it, can't have it like Burger King.
    Time delay? The advantage situation can prolong calling a foul for some time and the calls are made at the first legitimate stoppage or end of the advantage. And I guess just to remain cynical the NFL uses the penalty review as just another opportunity to stuff another commercial opportunity. Hell they even get away with commercial time outs to pump a few more bucks into the head injury fund.
    VAR is just another evolutionary step for the game like 3rd subs, water breaks, and the 4th official.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The essence of soccer is the continuous flow of the game. VAR shouldn't take more than 15 seconds. If it takes longer, then stick with the original call (or No Call). If the NFL adopted this rule of thumb, it would make their games much more watchable.

ejs1111 repped this.
  22. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    In the Orlando game VAR was used twice to determine if Acosta was offside on goals 2 and 3, but again, as you said, you don't use VAR to review offside so I hallucinated those two stoppages in the stadium. In both cases, the AR's flag went up, the ref did not blow the whistle until the ball was in the goal, therefore the review was possible. If the flag goes up, ref whistles before the ball crosses the line - no review.

sitruc repped this.
  23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You never mentioned any of that in your first post so my comment in response to what you wrote is correct, if what you wrote didn't adequately describe what you meant, I can't do too much with that
    Come on, FIFA is the one who doesn't include offside in the 4 circumstances for using VAR.
    And your idea for Slow mo?
    And your hallucinations are your business, I'm a don't ask, don't tell, ignore the smell kind of guy

24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks for the meaningless response. You are back on my ignore list. Someday in another universe, you may actually admit to making a mistake, but clearly not here, not ever.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah, rubbing someone's hair is as petulance as it gets lololol

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.