News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Anyone watch the Atlanta v Portland match aired on fox after the Columbia v Poland WC match?
    I was soccered out and tuned in for 5 minutes or so and never saw a full shot of the crowd. My point is showing the fact that MLS can sell out a reasonably large stadium just like the World Cup would have been a great point to drive home time and time again.
    Did I miss the pitch if there was one?

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Entertaining game. Played at a relatively high level. I wish DCU had a Valeri type player on the roster.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We have a potential one in Acosta. Lets see how Ben helps his development.

Dizi repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    "Potential" is the right word. "Potential" is realized only by the character of the person in question. It helps to have good coaches, teammates and mentors. But if you don't have it in you, I can't blame the coach or anyone else.

benni... repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The alumni forum is barely used, and doesn't feel like the appropriate place to post this.

Minnesota United is having their Pride night tonight, and Collin Martin has come out as openly gay today in conjunction with that event.

fatbastard, DCUSA, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's amazing! I just wish he would have felt comfortable shouting that at RFK (if he wanted to, of course.)

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Back on the home front. My eyes are burning watching Seattle host Portland on turf. Hard to call it the beautiful game.

Eastern Bear, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WE HAVE ROONEY!

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very insistent rumors about CR7 to Juventus for a EUR 100M fee, This fee could not apply to La Liga clubs, English clubs and PSG (for them it would be 10 times higher), but it could apply for any other team elsewhere. This is a recent addendum to CR7 contract (January). If you take out Barca, United and City, Juve and Bayern are probably the biggest clubs where to go. PSG is getting to be a bigger club, but so far all they won is a few league titles and national cups. Honestly, same for Juve, but they have been much better in CL in recent years than PSG (even if they have not won).

11. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be pretty cool. Juventus was the first Euro team I was drawn to, with Vialli, Ravanelli, Davids, etc, etc. Loved the name, loved the kit, and style of play. I'd jump back on that train with Ronaldo on board.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Armas Named Head Coach As Jesse Marsch Departs RBNY
    7/6/2018
    10:28 AM

Dizi and fatbastard repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on Jesse for being promoted to sell the brand in one of the overseas divisions.

New coach shouldn't matter, just plug them in like interchangeable passionless players into Ali Curtis' stolen system ;)

I wish this NJ team nothing but frustration and failure :cool:

Winoman repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well...OTOH...I have that feeling that Jesse will be the next USMNT coach
    M

15. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    i think it's amazing

don't know where marsch will end up but i respect him and have been envious of how rbny ran their organization during his tenure

NicktheGreek and Theopisa repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Sad but true. They ditched the superclub ethos and focused on youth and a smart system. I don't know if that kind of pressing would work on the international level but I'd like to watch it. Imagine Japan's style of play with better soccer players.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if that's the real reason he left. Why would he leave mid season with a generic "new experiences" statement? Vieira left but everybody knew he was going to Nice.

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm with you, falling into the Juve experience as I discovered the game and the Italian Language broadcasts aired Monday nights on MHZ. I'm a lifer since '95
    As far as CR-7 goes, playing for Juventus is all about the honor of wearing the shirt not stripping it off to display your physique to glorify yourself when you score. I'd prefer they go for Alvaro Morata, but they certainly have done OK without my advise so far. I worry that the club will take a long time to recover from the loss of their Captain, Buffon, and CR-7 will just cause unrest

DCUSA repped this.
  19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Now rumors of him
    Back to manure...

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Conference Championship-
    FC Baltimore v.
    Winner of Northern Virginia v. FC Frederick

• Sat, Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm
    • CCBC Essex Field
    • 7201 Rossville Blvd
    • Baltimore, MD 21237

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the five years that David Beckham has spent trying to build a stadium for Miami’s future Major League Soccer team, what’s another week?

Following Thursday’s marathon Miami City Commission meeting, which was stretched out with hours of public testimony and debate, the commissioners deferred a decision to put a large-scale redevelopment at Melreese Country Club on the November ballot for six more days.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article214690475.html#storylink=cpy

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Several reliable sources report Juventus has sold 520,000 (Half a Million+ no typo)
    CR-7 shirts in 24 hours. Cuadrado apparently surrendered his number 7 and switched to 11.
    How are the Rooney 9's selling?

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Bryce Harper knows drama.

pr0ner and Winoman repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that was ridiculous. His and Schwarber's performance both.

The atmosphere in there last night was electric.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, one has to wonder if Atlanta will be without Josef Martinez for the match against DC United on Saturday after his headbutt on Sunday. But since it didn't even get a card during the match, one wonders if DisCo will even care.

GumbyG and sitruc repped this.