News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    TFC up 3-0 in the 60th minute. Then Columbus scores three LOL.

Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Boswell has a wicked sense of humor. I wonder if he has the demeanor to coach? He fits the classic mold for a coach, a college forward, undrafted in the pros and someone who mastered a different position and played for a very long time as a starter in the league.

greatscott and Winoman repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    A classic mold for a coach? That's well above my level of expertise. Are there any examples of undrafted college players who excelled as a pro soccer coach?

Dizi repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Did he play in college or even in the pros under a really good coach? Did he observe how practices are organized? Different skill games, different drills, different kinds of scrimmages all to emphasize getting prepared for a specific opponent?

5. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Sounds a lot like Ben Olsen. :p:ROFLMAO: If I remember correctly (not always the case), Ben wasn't drafted either, but was assigned by the league to DCU.

asitis

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    How many points have the refs simply gifted Atlanta this season? It's getting embarrassing.

VAR sucks.**

**This is yet another "VAR sucks" because Atlanta was given a soft penalty and then Bedoya dissented when the ref refused to even take the time to look at the replay. Stoica redded Bedoya and then Medunjanin when he dissented the first red. Philly's down a goal and two players and it's game over.

ejs1111, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    My analogy would probably fit best with baseball players of modest skill who became great managers -- Sparky Anderson and Tommy Lasorda. Boswell somehow taught himself how to play central defense and made a very long career out of it. That learning process I would expect took some form of analysis and self-criticism. I would assume he could apply that skill set to managing. Olsen wasn't "undrafted", he was assigned to DCU and was considered an up and coming player. Had his ankles not been trashed while on loan at Nottingham Forest, he would have played overseas for a number of years.

Dizi repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Too deep for me

9. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I know it's just semantics, but if Olsen "wasn't undrafted", he was drafted and he wasn't drafted. As we both said he was assigned to DCU. Just trying to be funny, hence the emojis.

asitis

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a foul in the box and not a soft PK. Bedoya already had a yellow and encroached the PK. That’s a second one.

Then the other guy went ape shit and bumped the ref.

All on Philthy.

Dizi, JRHokie and benni... repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd that fakeUnited game turn out? I saw it was only 1-0 at the half - I turned it on once or twice before then just to see the comedy of 9 vs 11 but it was boring and I forgot to turn back during the second half. Can't really even remember which other game I was watching instead when they mentioned it as 9 on 11, probably Toronto v yellowteam - racing was likely on the other tuner taking most of my attention.

Winoman repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Josef Martinez hat trick, and Atlanta won 3-1.

fatbastard repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stolen from MLSN&A.

Goals scored in MLS 2018:

12 - Martinez (Atl)
    9 - Wright-Phillips (NYRB)
    9 - Zardes (CLB)
    8 - Elis (Hou)
    8 - Villa (NYC)
    8 - Bunbury (NE)
    7 - Vela (LAFC)
    7 - Hoesen (SJ)
    7 - Tajouri-Shradi (NYC)
    7 - Seattle Sounders

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR has nothing to do with Bedoya and Medunjanin losing the plot. Bedoya said something you just cannot say to a referee, and Medunjanin went bonkers for no real reason. Shockingly terrible display from both players, and you can't pin it on VAR or Stoica. They should probably be lucky they were 2nd yellows and not straight reds.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
  16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I saw the tweet showing Ramos elbowing him on an earlier play and wondered if that could have explained Karius' bizzare behavior. Sergio Ramos gonna get boo'd everywhere he goes... as he should.

Winoman repped this.
  17. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Booed should just be the beginning. Ramos has a history. He recently set the all time record for red cards in La Liga. That's 89 years of players getting red cards. To my eye (and others) the fouls were intentional. Look at the replays. He holds on to Salah's arm as they both go down forcing Salah to land on his shoulder. Later, he, for no reason stumbles as he passes Karius and his right elbow flies up (not extended to brace his fall) and catches Karius. I'm surprised UEFA hasn't sanctioned Ramos.
    No, I'm not really surprised.

asitis

John L, fatbastard, Eastern Bear and 3 others repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Vancouver and Columbus have played 15 league matches United has played 10. How can they justify the disparity? You can't be game fit if you don't play games?
    OK he was concussed, but why didn't the concussion protocol catch it? He's going to need a better excuse if he ever wants to safely walk the streets of Liverpool (if you actually can) again

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I heard recently that despite the number of reds he received in La Liga, he's never received one playing for Spain. Jeckle and Hyde?

20. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sergio Ramos is a scumbag butcher.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    End of the first cycle of games with Mancini coach; one win (2-1 vs Saudi Arabia in Switzerland), onr loss (1-3 in France against France) and one tie (1-1 today in Turin vs Holland). Today it was for sure the best game played, and we probably deserved to win. It's a young team and it will take time, I remain optimistic. But the amazing players of the past at the moment are a nice memory only.

Winoman repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    THE ********ING WASHINGTON ********ING CAPITALS ********ING WON THE ********ING STANLEY ********ING CUP!!!

Winoman, fatbastard and benni... repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From perennial chokers to closers. That is a tough mountain to climb.

Congrats.

james

Winoman repped this.
  24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Frosinone promoted back to serie A after 2 years
    Cosenza promoted back to B after 15 years.
    The long Italian soccer season has at last ended today.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy