2018 MLS Week 29 Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by pr0ner, Sep 13, 2018.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies for stepping on bhooks's toes here, but there was a game last night and no thread!

09/12/2018

D.C. United v Minnesota United
    Audi Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Silviu Petrescu
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Sorin Stoica
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic

09/15/2018

Colorado Rapids v Atlanta United
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Sorin Stoica
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi

Philadelphia Union v Montreal Impact
    Talen Energy Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: JC Rivero
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar

Toronto FC v LA Galaxy
    BMO Field (8:15PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Guido Gonzales

FC Dallas v Columbus Crew
    Toyota Soccer Center Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Chico Grajeda
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Michael A Kampmeinert
    4TH: Joseph Dickerson
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez

Houston Dynamo v Portland Timbers
    BBVA Compass Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
    4TH: Marcos Deoliveira
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic

Real Salt Lake v Minnesota United
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9:30PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Tim Ford

Vancouver Whitecaps v Seattle Sounders
    BC Place Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Eric Weisbrod
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Drew Fischer
    VAR: Geoff Gamble

Los Angeles FC v New England Revolution
    Banc Of California Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Mark Geiger
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Kevin Stott
    VAR: Victor Rivas

San Jose Earthquakes v Sporting Kansas City
    Avaya Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Corey Parker
    4TH: Ismail Elfath
    VAR: Alex Chilowicz

09/16/2018

D.C. United v New York Red Bulls
    Audi Field (1PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.

Chicago Fire v Orlando City
    Toyota Park Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Peter Manikowski
    4TH: Daniel Radford
    VAR: Caleb Mendez

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, better.

That being said, Petrescu did not seem to have a great night in DC last night. Misidentifying the team that last touched the ball several time last night (in favor of both teams), let physical play go on too long, and while I think he let Mora off easy with a yellow in 2nd half stoppage time (that was an orange for sure, and the VAR did take a look), his yellow to Canouse was pretty bad (I could see Canouse telling Olsen it was "effing BS" during an injury treatment break right after the card...looked like a hard, clean tackle to me).

YoungRef87 repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The ARs did him not help on out of bounds.

4. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Petrescu made some strange calls last night, against both teams. A couple times it looked like he called the foul on the man who was being fouled. Also, Luciano Acosta should have been called for a foul right before he was scissor-tackled from behind.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COL-ATL stoppage time

Review recommended for serious foul play (pretty quickly, too--under a minute). Referee sticks with yellow.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Kelly asleep at the switch on a pretty obvious backpass by NYRB

Schlager and superdave repped this.
  7. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can someone explain what happened in Minnesota-Salt Lake? Minnesota’s second goal was ruled out by VAR for the pass before the pass that led to the goal being ruled offside. However, it wasn’t “a clear and obvious error” and it looked questionable to me if he was offside at all. Can someone provide pics and/or insight into this?

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure any of us have had a chance to get a look at anything beyond the broadcast angles just yet. I can tell you what I think happened, which is the AR (Felisha Mariscal) thought there was an interceding touch by Minnesota that would have put Quintero onside. You can see her hesitate big time when the ball passes over, I think, Maximiliano's head. She eventually decided to give the benefit of the doubt to the attack, which is what we're taught to do if we're not sure. From the replay, I'd say that touch didn't happen, and Quintero was off the whole way.

9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That would explain why the AR in question was ALSO looking at the replay with the referee.

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or she hesitated because it was a really tight call with a player coming back from off to on and those are very difficult to get correct especially at that speed.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also makes sense

12. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    "Clear and obvious" seems to be thrown out at this point. I'm still unsure on what constitutes a "look" from the VAR, what constitutes a look on field (isn't offside a non-subjective call?) The offside call against the Portland was so incredibly tight and the angles I've seen with overlaid lines he looks pretty much onside except maybe his head, but it's hard to account for that angle. Does PRO use a line overlay system for determining offside? Even if he's off, I don't see that as a missed "clear and obvious" call on the pitch.

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Offside is a yes/no. The "clear and obvious" (which isn't actually the terminology, but meh) only applies to missed RCs, missed/incorrectly given PKs, and missed fouls in the build-up before a goal.

Location of PK (in/out) and offside are factual decisions. So "clear and obvious" doesn't apply.

superdave repped this.
  14. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alright well if you guys think he was off I’ll take your word for it. I just didn’t see him as offside during the game. And I completely understand what Mariscal was doing, she did exactly as we are taught. I just didn’t see why VAR had checked it in live action- although if he was in fact offside I understand.

15. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    If it's factual, then why the on-field review? It either is or isn't (it isn't in this case), so why do you need three different people to determine that? IMO only the most egregious missed OS calls should be reviewed until there's an appropriate tool for the team to use to determine actual off-side calls with certainty. This was too close to call at full speed on the pitch, and too close to call on freeze frame. Only when you stop it and look at a picture of the lines so you see that he's in fact onside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    IIRC MLS decided they wanted on field review of everything after a VAR intervention that should have had on field review and did not.

17. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 jarbitro, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    this week, I thought Jair had a great game, and Gantar had a howler, and the missed backpass by Kelly & Co. was unbelievable (even the 4th should have had that). But the real story is now two huge errors from VAR reviews in two weeks. Marshall's send-off and now a goal wrongly disallowed, right? Am I keeping score at home correctly?

In fairness, the clear and obvious standard is out the window for missed RCs too apparently. There were more "clear and obvious" RC's sent to the field this week that were not changed, than were given. IOW, whatever "clear and obvious" means, it doesn't mean that two MLS referees would agree on it. That's way lower than the FIFA 95/100 guys in a bar standard. Heck, its not even at "two PRO referees in a bar" standard.

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Geiger getting praised by Collina for looking at the monitor during Germany - South Korea when he didn't technically need to probably helped push PRO/MLS that direction.